Migraines & Headaches Community
sharp pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

sharp pain

every once in a while for about a year now i get this really sharp pain on the right side of my head right above my eye.
it only happens when i move my head fast. I dont what it is. It only last maybe 2-3 seconds but its a sharp enough pain to make me stop what im doing and rest for a couple seconds.
any help?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

One differential for your condition is  a cervicogenic headache. This is a headache that may be secondary to an underlying cervical spine disorder. This type of headache may cause pain on the head and face as referred pain from the neck. This may also be a headache secondary to an underlying musculoskeletal or arthritic pain.

Do you have other associated symptoms like eye redness or tearing and nasal discharge?

For how long do the headaches last?

How would you describe th headcahes? Are they throbbing, stabbing or sharp?
My eyes are fine and i dont have any nasal discharge. I would say the headaches last about 2-3 seconds at the most. They are very sharp . I would describe the pain as if  my brain is hitting my skull. It usually only happens when i make a sudden movement of my head.The sharp pains are very random.I could jump around and shake my head fast all i want one day and it wouldnt hurt, but the next day it would
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This sounds nerve related. I’m actually considering a cervicogenic headache here. Cervical spine disorders may cause impingement or irritation of the nerves and this diagnosis seems to be strengthened by the character of the headache. Also, the fact that the headache is aggravated by neck movements may also suggest a diagnosis of cervicogenic headaches.

Another differential will be cluster headaches, hemicrania continua and paroxysmal hemicrania. These conditions are associated with headaches that last for a few seconds and may be severe ,sharp and stabbing in character. These headaches may occur in clusters at certain times of the day.

A cervical spine scan may be able to help.Discuss these with your physician. Your headache needs to be classified so that the right management may be given.