Migraines & Headaches Community
spinal fluid leaking into brain cavity

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

spinal fluid leaking into brain cavity

My 45 yr old nephew was rushed to ER with extremely high BP  192/161, cat scan revealed spinal fluid leaking into brain cavity.  Has appt with neuro. next week.  What might we be facicng?  He was hit by a car as a child (7-10) could that have effect now?
Hiya-
Sorry about your nephew. Without all of his info it is hard to comment but I will try. I had a cranial leak myself so I know a bit about this. Somewhere there is an opening in the skull or neck where spinal fluid is leaking into the area around his brain more than it is supposed to. Maybe this is causing high intracranial pressure?

The brain and spinal cord is inside of something called the dura which is filled with spinal fluid. This is supposed to be a closed system. But sometimes head injuries (from long ago even) leave a little crack where spinal fluid leaks into areas where it is not supposed to go or the pressure is not right.

He might be facing some more diagnostics to pinpoint the leak if there is one
He might be facing a surgery to patch the hole
If it is high pressure in the brain he might be facing meds to try and bring that down (Diamox,is the first line med for this)
If the meds don't work a shunt might be put in but only as a last resort

I don't want to scare you though and I am guessing here,
Do you know any more?
Horselip