Migraines & Headaches Community
still no answers on chronic headaches and neck pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Hi, for the past 3 years i have been suffering from daily headaches and migraines. i have at least 4 headaches a week and if i get a migraine it can last up to 5 days. i have really sore back, sholder and neck muscles that feel sore and tight and tendor to touch all around that area. even when i dont have a headche.my headaches seem to appear if i do anything that means using my muscles such as house work, excerise and sitting in a car or desk for over an hour, its fine at first but then seems to tightnen over a few hours then i get the headache or migraine, so try to avoid pretty much everything. its worse in the morning when i wake up as seems like its all seized and then again at night.Ive had an mri all that showed was slight degenretive changes and slight straighting of the natural curve of my spine. doctors have said wouldnt cause my symptoms. ive had accupuncture, seen a osteopath, nerve blockers, steroid injections all seem to make it worse. i have been on pain killers but i am now off all of them as was causing overuse headaches, also had topiramate but didnt really work so thats been stopped to. the cold also makes its worse and adding heat to my neck and back can ease pain. Ive seen a headache speacilist and they have said im just suffering with migrains and my back is a seperate issue but i disagree. it all started from a trip to the gym. my life is now on hold im 26 and i cant work, or make plans cause of my headaches and pain. anyone eles going through the same thing? any ideas what wrong with me? ive been looking on the internet and found some info on fibromyalgia seems i have quite a few of this symptoms not them all, am i grasping at straws or should i get tested? please help ..
1. Migraine lasting 5 days: I will take this with a pinch of salt.

2. Daily Headache: Specialists track this in a different path.

With your description, one feels a cervicogenic headache has to be ruled out. See if you get some relief if you keep the head and neck in some particular position (sitting up or lying down) It has to be specifically looked for, and it is in the field of neuro and spine surgeons.
Try searching the net for 'cervicogenic headache' and see if any doctor interested in the same is near your locality.

Best,
Thomas Antony
Thanks for the reply, but after seeing a specilist in a top london hospital and also a pain specilist this was ruled out, and also the nerve blockers i had that are a treatment for this made it worse. so im at loss. it may seem hard to believe but i have had several migraines with vomiting and light sensitivity that have lasted 5 days but normally its about 3 days. thanks anyway.
Headache is such a vast topic with many things evolving and with ongoing research into the many 'fields' of headache, nobody, as yet, has the final word.

Because of this, I feel it may be worthwhile if you can see other headache specialists as well.

Meanwhile continue the treatment for symptomatic relief.

I am sorry thats all what I can say without seeing you.

Best of luck !

Thomas Antony
Try these natural breathing techniques and you should notice something  positive in days.The extra oxygen helps the body fight the headache.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.
Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 15 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom -  Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep breaths into the lungs.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 15 times