Migraines & Headaches Community
subdural hematoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

subdural hematoma

Hi there. My dad had neuro surgery at the beginning of this year to remove 2 subdural hematomas. This was the result of head trauma which 3 doctors failed to diagnose. Anyway, his surgery was a success. He still continues to have headaches, although not so often and he feels a tightness in or on his head, I'm not sure which as I think he finds it difficult to describe. Further to this my dad also collapsed about 6 weeks ago and again banged his head. He was whipped into hospital and, which should have been done years ago, given a pacemaker, which has stopped his blackouts.Also hence the surgery at the top of the page!! After his last episode he was given a CT scan which showed that he had had another bleed but it wasn't anything to worry about!!! After this kind of surgery, is it normal to have headaches and a tightness to the head? I'm assuming that it takes quite a while for things to heal inside the head?

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
I may not be able to confirm the exact cause of your father’s symptoms without a complete clinical examination and work, up. Infection or meningitis can be a complication after surgery for subdural haematoma. There is a tendency for some chronic subdural hematomas to return after drainage, and more surgeries may be needed. Tension headaches, migraines are few other common causes of severe headaches. It is best to discuss your concerns with the treating neurosurgeon. Do write to me again.
Best luck and regards!