Migraines & Headaches Community
tmj and migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

tmj and migraines

i was recently diagnosed w/tmj (just when my insurance ran out). What home remedies can I do? I've tried ice packs and heating up my Bed Buddy, and over the counter pain remedies are ineffective. Also-can the tmj trigger a migraine? Normally, my triggers are lack of sleep, stress, or rapid weather changes-but I think I'm seeing a correlation between the two now. Any help, suggestions, support-more than welcome!! I have  some migraine meds-will they be effective for the jaw pain? (When I have the 2 simultaneously, I mean, not to take when just the jaw hurts.)
Tags: TMJ
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you?  TMJ headaches is a muscle-contraction type of pain and can be an infrequent cause of headache. This could be due to malocclusion/poor bite, stress, and jaw clenching. Relaxation, biofeedback, use of bite plate and in some cases, correction of malocclusion may be done to help provide relief. It is good that you know your triggers for migraine. Avoidance of such triggers and prescription medications may help provide relief. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I will make this to the point. I thought I was having a stroke. I was paralyzed on my left side and I lost speech. Went to ER, they did CT and then MRI and came back fine. Finally decided it was a Complex Migraine. Dr. put me on Topamax (anti seizure medication) and it did nothing. Continued to have migraines every other day for 6 weeks. I kept telling everyone it was my JAW. I had pain in my jaw and it would shoot up into my brain and then cause a serious migraine. All they wanted to do was put me on this awful medication that I hated and it did nothing to relieve pain in jaw and head.

Finally I went on the internet and researched about Jaw and Migraines and found 2 Drs. in my area that treated that very problem. I called, made an appt. The Dr. was my hero. It was TMJ (very serious case) and they made a bite plate for me to wear, and he adjusted my jaw so that little disc snapped back into place and that was 4 years ago and I haven't had a problem, migraine since! So, yes TMJ can cause migraines. The Neuro Docs just don't want to look at that aspect because it' more dental (jaw and teeth) then brain and they're only solution is meds! Hope you find relief.
Thank you for the info!!! Sometimes I feel like they thnk I'm making it up or just want pain meds or something-it's very frustrating!!! Thank you again and I hope you continue to be well!
Hmmm, I get TMJ and migraines too.  I wonder if its common for people to get both.  I mean aside from when the TMJ actually causes the migraine.  If maybe its stressed out people like me that get both?  Sorry to ramble on your thread ... just curious.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Headaches for TMJ are usually referred to the temples due to the muscles located at this part of the head which is often affected by inflammation of the jaw. Patients often feel this symptom as a tension headache or sinus headache.This can be easily differentiated during a TMD exam/ physical examination. Migraines may be triggered by factors that may or may not be associated with this inflammation in TMJ. Stress can be a factor among others such as food and other activities. Try to identify your triggers for migraine to help you avoid any attacks. The migraine tracker here in the forum may help. Take care and best regards.