Migraines & Headaches Community
went to ER for possible stroke...told it was just a migraine?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

is it possible or likely for migraines to begin in adulthood?
I went to the ER a few days ago because I got a terrible headache, then got dizzy and tunnel vision, then my left side went numb, including my face.
I was told i was too young to have a TIA of stroke, and that it was a complicated migraine. I'm just confused, cause I've never had any history of migraines. The only headaches I've ever had is the occasional one if I get dehydrated. And since that episode, I've had lingering numbness/tingling and a constant "walking around buzzed" feeling...but no headaches to accompany these lingering symptoms. ????
I'm a 26 year old female. No significant medical history. very limited alcohol consumption (only on holidays/special occasions). don't smoke. don't take birth control. low blood pressure. eat healthy (organic, all-natural, mostly vegetarian and vegan meals). rarely ever even take so much as a tylenol.
What in the world is going on?
You are NOT too young to have a TIA or a stroke.  There are plenty of people on these websites who have had them younger than you are.  

I would see a neurologist or any doctor who will order either a MRI or a CT Scan.  I forget which one you need when some time has passed since the stroke to diagnose it.  It's important that you know whether you had one, because then your chances of having another one are very high.  In that case, you need to take every precaution to prevent another one which could be far worse.

Good luck.

Sara
P.S. And I would really like to know what you find out.
Hi cmrose,
I just posted here for the same thing a few days ago. I recently finished a work up with a neurologist for srroke like symptoms and was told it was due to my migraines. I'm 41 and otherwise healthy so it completely surprised me as well.

The buzzing feeling sounds like it may be similar to what I felt. I described it as a buzzing feeling like I was standing on an electric power line. It was intense enough to make me drop 15 pounds in a month. I've also had the near passing out with tunnel vision too many times to count. And the tingling and other parasthesias stuck with me for a few months, before they finally quieted down enough for me to not notice anymore.

I still have occasional left foot drop, dizziness, blurred vision, and leg weakness, but they all seem to be fading slowly with time. I don't think I will end up with any reisdual symptoms when it all said and done.

My neuro described migraines to me like this:
Migraines result in blood vessle dilation in the brain which causes pressure on surrounding brain tissue. Enough pressure with the bad headaches/migraines can cause ares of low blood flow to the brain, literally resulting in stroke like symptoms. My MRI showed 2 small frontal white matter lesions consistent with migraines, so you can even see the spots on film :).

Just wanted to let you know I've beem told the same thing. Stay in touch and take good care.

I got in to see a neurologist yesterday. He says it's possible that it was just a migraine, but not likely. He suspects a TIA triggered by stress. For now he has me taking steps to reduce and manage stress, and I'm taking 1 low-dose aspirin a day. If the symptoms don't go away within a few weeks, he'll do more testing.
In the meantime, if I have another episode, I've been advised to return to the ER as a precaution.
I'm so glad that you got to see a decent neurologist.  The rate of having a full stroke within 5 years of having a TIA is about 33%.  So I'm glad that you're taking measures to prevent one.  

There are other recommendations as well if you go on-line such as exercise and eating fruits and vegetables--along with your other food of course.  Don't smoke--a big risk.  You might check about birth control or Hormone Replacement Therapy which I understand can increase the rate of stroke (at least in a person my age) by 29%.  Maybe not in a younger person like yourself.

Wish you the best.

Sara