Migraines & Headaches Community
why does it last so long?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

why does it last so long?

Hi, I have a left sided migraine in head and neck with nausea which lats a week each time.  I do nt have a headace, but numbness, nausia and feel really unwell.  It gradually decreases over the week leaving me weak and sore.  Is this a migraine?
Tags: head

Migraine headaches can occur in many different ways. Headache may or may not be a feature of migraine. Normally an attack of migraine lasts for 2-3 days but it can go upto a week also.
Since the symptoms of migraine are very similar to those of TIA or ministroke it is very important to differentiate between the two. Therefore it is important to get a clinical evaluation done.
Magnesium supplements have been known to help in reducing the frequency and duration of migraines. You can discuss this with your treating doctor. Also a headache diary or migraine tracker will help in identifying triggers for these attacks.
Thank you for your comments.  I am in the UK and we generally see our GP who does not give us such a comprehensive reply.  I usually feel too bad to visit until after the attack so is it too late then for a clinical evaluation? ThanK you re magnesium suggestion.  I only get an attack about every 6 months.  I have studied TIAs and strokes in my work and can see the similarities, although the elderly who I worked with seemed to be less aware of their surroundings and more muddled ( ie making tea with rice etc) -  -when having a TIA -is that so?
I will go to my GP and discuss this - thank you.