Migraines & Headaches Community
worst migraine in years today

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

worst migraine in years today

I woke this am with worse migraine in probably 2-3 yrs. Mine usually respond within an hour to my meds, I took a treximet (I also take topomax (topamax) daily) but now 14 hours later it's still lingering. It's subsided substantially, but it was bad enough that I had to hang dark sheets over my bedroom windows and slept all day. I'm not normally this disabled. I hope this doesn't turn into a pattern! If it occurs again should I go to ER? Also do I need different meds since it didn't seem to respond like normal? I'm under unusual stress right now-severe financial issues, unemployed etc. I have a herniated disk in my neck so can't do yoga for my usual stress relief, any suggestions?
Tags: worst
Spirit3,

Seems like your last sentence captures most of what your Doctor needs to know.  The ER will probably just send you to your Doctor or a Neurologist.  Maybe your Doctor might consider an anti anxiety medication for you.  There are low cost generics that could help while you deal with the other issues.  Good luck and be well!  
Thanks for quick response! I'm already on an anti-anxiety-I should have mentioned that in my history. I woke this am and the migraine had either never truly left or was back again. You are right about the low cost generic, one thing I needn't worry about at least! It may just be a combo of weather fluctuation and the stress. And you're right about ER too-plus a 100 deduct I can't afford! Thanks for help, hopefully this is just an anomaly. You be well too!
Spirit3,

You mentioned something very interesting to me - weather fluctuations.  More specifically though I'm researching a component to the fluctuations that has to do with the electrical energy generated by weather changes.  Most people assume it's the barometric pressure and it could very well be in some people.  Electrical energy is generated as air molecules bounce among each other creating something like static electricity (to give a simple example) and I suspect that in some people this may be the culprit that starts the migraine process.

As a migraine starts, watch a dopler radar weather map and over time you may find a relationship between storm intensity and direction.  Look for the location of low (L) or (H) high pressure systems as described by your local weather person.  

Also be observant to electrical devices in your home and neighborhood or at work.  Computer screens, electric motors, and even TV digital converters can contribute to migraines.  

If you see a trend over time, let me know via this forum.  I would be very interested to know this type of info.  Good luck and be well!

I've noticed a definite correlation between an approaching high or low front and migraine symptoms! I have the weatherbug on my computer but it doesn't have as specific info on it as I had hoped for. I'm in the Hudson Valley and the weather here has fluctuated quite a bit the past few weeks as far as temp and t-storms coming through. Normally for me a lack of sleep combined w/stress will set one off, but high winds and weather issues can certainly do the trick by themselves as well. I've read those energy-efficient bulbs can effect some people as well. Thanks for your continued interest, and be well too! Have a great w'end!
Spirit3,

You get hit by the same weather systems as we do in East Central PA.  My wife just came off a three day knock down Tuesday thru Thursday.  Her migraines preceed the patterns by about a day or two.  Mine start when the storms are just about on top of us and I can feel sometimes feel streaks of pain from the forehead.  Fortunately mine are short lived.

We had CFL's throughout our house but have since changed back to regular light bulbs.  It really has made a difference for my Wife.  Now I need to buy a semi lifetime supply of bulbs since they are to be discontinued (by Dept of Energy regulations) later this year.  LED's are solution but it will be quite a few years til they come down in price.  
I just checked weather.com and it shows low front over us. That's awful that you both get them! My fiance never gets sick at all. I have asthma on top of of the migraines, sometimes I feel like  I'm perpetually ill with something. I hope your wife is well, best to you both.