Migraineurs Support User Group
6+months with transfer migraine... no end in sight
About This Group:

A place for migraineurs to discuss anything and everything related to migraines. Topic suggestions: Think of this as a support group for migraineurs. Reach out to group members when ever you need support. Give your support to fellow migraineurs. You, as a migraineur yourself, probably have a wealth of knowledge to share with others. The knowledge that you have could vastly improve the quality of life for another group member. Share share share! Discuss your current acute and preventative treatment plans. Ask others about their current acute and preventative treatment plans. Discuss past acute and preventative treatment plans as well... we can always learn something from what didn't work! Discuss your own personal tips and tricks for lessening the severity of acute migraine attacks. Post about your upcoming GP or Neurologist appointments. Ask other group members questions about what to expect and suggestions on how to prepare. Update fellow group members on your progress... both on set backs (so that we can provide support, suggestions and hope!) and on successes (so that we can congratulate you and so that you can provide other group members with hope!).

Founded by marileew on September 27, 2009
194 members

I was diagnosed with a transfer migraine last August.  It started on Aug 1st and hasn't left me since.  It's been an agonizing 6 months.  It's called transfer migraine because it moves all over my head.  I've never had one of those common migraines where the light bothers me or I get nauseated or see auras, etc.  My migraines have been "light" headaches that stay with me for a few days: from 3 to five days at the most.  I was told by a doctor to take a tylenol/etc on the onset to cut the symptoms immediately and be done with it.  Unfortunately, I don't always do this.  Sometimes I'm stubborn or think if I eat something, it will go away.  Well, this time, I waited too long and by the time I took the pill the next, it was too late.  My doctor prescribe Imitrex by the fifth day but it was out of control.  Then she gave me something else that just knocked me out but the pain was still pretty bad.  Two weeks later I was in a neurologist's office being diagnosed with the transfer migraine.  She tried to hospitalize me but I wouldn't go for it - still being silly.  Anyway, bunch of tests and meds later, it's still with me.  Tried the hospital last week but it didn't work out.  I'm on some serious meds right now but need to get back to work on Monday so can't continue taking them.  Hoping some of you have better luck getting rid of the pain without getting knocked out.
Current meds: topamax, pamelor, skelaxin
In the hospital: depakote, solu-cortef (hydrocortisone), zofran (not sure why...), norflex
:-)
Skelaxin, you may know can have headache as a side effect.  Zofran they sometimes give for nausea when you have a migraine.
I was diagnosed with Transfer Migraines after 3 years of 5 different Neurologists.  Finally, the last one had a brain and was able to tell me that it was transfer migraines.  He has me on 80 mg of Propranolol.  Within 2 weeks I went from having the same headache for 3 years to not having a headache but maybe 3-4 days a month max and that is only with one of my four triggers, not eating, not sleeping, bright light, or storms.  Have your doc try this for you, and yes I know it is a blood pressure med.  My blood pressure was 117/60 before and after taking.  Trust me it worked.
That was the very first common migraine preventative, I believe, that a doctor tried on me (it was the one he was on for his migraine preventative).  I had to quit taking it because I started wheezing while taking it.  I had some help with it, I think, though continued to have more mild headaches while on it, if I recall correctly (a lot of years have gone by since).  I'm so glad you found something that worked for your transfer migraines!
drifter0213 commented on Infiltrated Fistula
Apr 12
drifter0213 commented on traz.
Apr 04
koyr commented on traz.
Apr 04