Migraineurs Support User Group
SSI for Migraines
About This Group:

A place for migraineurs to discuss anything and everything related to migraines. Topic suggestions: Think of this as a support group for migraineurs. Reach out to group members when ever you need support. Give your support to fellow migraineurs. You, as a migraineur yourself, probably have a wealth of knowledge to share with others. The knowledge that you have could vastly improve the quality of life for another group member. Share share share! Discuss your current acute and preventative treatment plans. Ask others about their current acute and preventative treatment plans. Discuss past acute and preventative treatment plans as well... we can always learn something from what didn't work! Discuss your own personal tips and tricks for lessening the severity of acute migraine attacks. Post about your upcoming GP or Neurologist appointments. Ask other group members questions about what to expect and suggestions on how to prepare. Update fellow group members on your progress... both on set backs (so that we can provide support, suggestions and hope!) and on successes (so that we can congratulate you and so that you can provide other group members with hope!).

Founded by marileew on September 27, 2009
194 members

SSI for Migraines

This is a question that comes up a lot, I am sure, but I can't seem to find any real definitive information about it on here, so I thought I would post a question. Is anyone on SSI/SSDI for their migraines? If so, what was the process you went through and how long did it take? Any helpful advice you would be willing to share?

I am in America (Colorado) and I have recently resigned from my job due to my migraines and my thyroid cancer. I'm currently in the process (the very beginning stages) of filling out the forms for SSDI due to this. I think SSDI is for those who have worked and SSI are for those who were never able to, is that right? At any rate, I'm told it takes about six months to be approved, but I also know there is a lengthy approval process. Any help, advice, thoughts, tips that you would be willing to share would be great. Unfortunately this is what it has come down to, and I have had to leave a couple of  jobs before due to this, so I am trying to get going on the SSDI since I truly feel that I am no longer able to work. Thanks, everyone!

Crystal
I'm on SSI for my migraines, and know others who are on SSI/SSDI for theirs, so yes, you are eligible that way.

You want to apply for SSDI and SSI both. Since you've worked, you'll be eligible for both. I'm on SSI because I was disabled w/ migraines before I was 18 and so never worked. I was approve the first time around, but that's a VERY rare occurrence, so don't get discouraged if you get rejected the first time around.

Good luck!

~Dame
Yes you can get SSI, which is income based including your spouse's income, or SSD which is the Social Security $ you have contributed while working.  Be sure your DR knows you are going to try to get this and everything, even if someone brings you to your appointments, is documented.  Document, Document, Document everything you are unable to do, and how they thryoid issue, migraines and ALL other medical conditions effect your daily life.  If you can't wash dishes, why ect, if you can't drive some days why, start keeping a list of what you can no longer do, why and how this effects you and your family.  How much work you missed.  Get your DR's support on this that goes a long way.  

I know I must sound pushy, sorry, but the more you write down the less they will want to deny you or hear from you again LOL heheheha. I wrote for 5 hours --not all at once, on my application, plus my Dr sent in a ton...

Let us know if you need help or have questions!!
Best wishes
Tracy
excellent point about the documentation. I sent in 7 years worth of medical records from...10(?) different docs, from different specialties as part of the evidence. I think I basically drowned them in paper work.

And do NOT try and put a brave front on. You want to sound as bad off as possible without actively lying or over-exaggerating. ANYTHING you can't do, is hard to do, makes the pain worse, etc. needs to be noted.
No, you don't sound pushy at all! This is exactly what I was looking for, so I appreciate all your advice. My primary doctor is definitely on board with everything I have been going through, so I know that she will help out in whatever way she can. Thanks!

Crystal
You make a good point about not trying to put on a brave face. I didn't think about that part before. I am in a pretty bad spot right now, so I will definitely take your advice and make sure they know how extremely difficult this is for me. Thanks again!

Crystal
That is such a good way to put it,not to put on a brave face.  It helped me to think I was writing about someone else I wanted to get help.

Keep us up to date, and I hope it goes well.  You can check to if you paid into any disability at work?

Tracy
One of the things I am on SSDI for is my migraines.  You really want to document every medical condition that is disabling you at all, because if something comes up later, they won't look at it as to whether to extend you or not.

I had been on state disability, then later went on SSDI.  Once, when up for review, they rejected extending me and I had to appeal (the decision was overturned).  Be sure and have doctors in your corner that are willing to write strong letters for you about why you are disabled, because you may come across a social security doctor that is unsympathetic to your pain, etc..

They say I would have to re-apply all over again if I wanted to have other disabilities listed.  I don't understand this.  Anyway,  I am on for two kinds of problems one being chronic migraines, but since then, I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my jaws, causing me major TMJ problems which can limit my talking and I'm limited to soft diet, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, interstitial cystitis, and a pituitary microadenoma.
plumber43 commented on photo
Apr 20
ltllitig8r uploaded a new photo
Apr 20
Worried_mama_bear commented on Symptoms I experience...
Apr 18