Military Health Issues Community
CML Leukemia

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

CML Leukemia

I served in the military from 1793 to 1993, in Feb 2004 I was told that I have CML Leukemia. I believe that there is a service connection to the CML. Is it possible over time being exposed to benzene and other chemicals, with exposure to radar and being based on places that come under EPA control for dangerous exposure, can a person get leukemia over a span of years. after military service I wasn't around any chemicals. can a span of time cause leukemia after little bit by little bit of exposure?
Hi....and thanks for your service.  I have heard that Benzene exposure can cause some forms of cancer, particularly leukemia.  

In order to file an air-tight claim with the VA for this you will have alot of work to do.  The first will be proving your benzene exposure.  Just you telling the VA that you were exposed usually isn't enough.  

There is a website that I want you to visit.....VAWatchdog.org  on that website you will find a link to all of the steps needed to file a claim.  There is a veteran on that site who is the leading authority on issues such as this.

I'm a veteran also--USAF, 12 years--now on 100% disability.  My father had AML type of leukemia that our family believes was from years of chemical exposure, he wasn't in the military, but did work around all sorts of chemicals---including benzene.

I wish you well and hope that your treatment is successful.
Thanks, I know about the benezene, but I was in solventd, cleaners, waxes, paints, thinners and many other things in a twenty year span. I have not read anything saying if little bit by little bit of exposure could result in cml.
have you asked your oncologist?
or you might check the EPA website for warnings....i'm just guessing here, but it might be worth a try.

I want to tell u that my ex also has cml again. He served in the marines and was in kuwait bak in the first gulf war. Cml is exposure to petrolium. Ie;  saddams burning oil wells. He lost his leg. Fingers etc while serving in iraqu again in 2007. His cml is bak and its a nightmare trying to even get the va to acknowledge this. So sad and shame on them!! They ask everything of our guys but will never give back. I hope ur feeling ok. Good luck!
Semper Fi
it's a hard fight don't give up :)
Has your friend written e-mailed, phoned his congressman , gone to the media , well Fox the mainstream dont want to know anything nowadays ,.One hears of all kind of help out there if he is not getting any he needs to ask why and his family should be out there yelling ..good luck to him and you