Military Health Issues Community
Curious about what is going to happen.

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

Curious about what is going to happen.

Hi everyone. I have a question obviously.

So here is my situation, I joined the naval submarine force and I shipped out. 2 weeks before I left my nephew died in a medical malpractice case. Basically he was killed by a doctor's negligence. So I left thinking it would be okay for my family. Now a year down the road I just arrived at my command. I have been here a month and I have been underway a time or two. My absence and my going out is now affecting my sister and my parents by making them more depressed and making them scared when I go out that they are going to lose me. Things have been getting worse and to top it all off I have been anxious about being in a confined space with 100+ individuals, I don't usually have clausterphobia but around so many people it just exacerbates it.

I am always depressed, and I was seriously depressed during my round of schooling. I was suicidal during training but never really brought it up because I was going to lose my job. But now, the circumstances just keep getting worse and I just want to get the hell out. I understand this isn't honorable, but for myself and my family I have to get out. My question was where is this going for me, what type of discharge will I receive and is there any other route besides saying I don't want to be in submarines anymore that fit my situation?
Speak with your commanding officer and your chaplain. Not everyone is psychologically suitable to serve in the submarine service. This does not necessarily reflect unfavorably on you. Ordinarily you would be permitted to transfer to the surface fleet, provided you have a record of good conduct. The availability of a hardship discharge will depend upon the circumstances. Another alternative would be transfer to a shore installation where you would have more access to your family.
I agree with caregiver I have a family member served on Subs in the British Navy he too found it hard ..I don't think you should feel bad because you have to put family and your health first ...my opinion is just do it ..good luck