Fiance recently home from Iraq
My fiance returned home for Iraq March 21, 2009. Since being home he has had a few "freak outs". Like jumping out of bed when a helicopter flys overhead, Taking cover when hearing a loud pop such as a balloon being popped. He went for his VA initial intake appointment and was diagnosed with ptsd. Obviously, he didn't really like the idea of this. He thought that the dr was telling him he was crazy when she suggested therapy or some form of couseling. He is slowly beginning to grasp the idea. He is also having a hard time adjusting to being home which is making it hard on the relationship. I have been super supportive through all of it. Or atleast I tried. I've told him that there is no way for me to understand completely being im not in his situation. Things aren't really getting any better for him. and i was just wondering if anyone had any kind of suggestion as to how i could help him out a little more. Make things a little easier on him.
This is tough for families, what happens is he is having an adreniline low, when they are in action or fighting being  they are on allert, they have to be all the time or get killed, so for months and longerthey stay on allert readiness, a heightened sense of urgency, coming home is great but all of a sudden the adreniline has been cut off, so like any drug he goes into withdrawal. Now as time goes by the adreniline rush  subsides, he starts to feel calm and normal. your role is to behave as you would always do, be supportive ,understanding, if he yells ,let him if he gets out of control you may want to discuss a visit to the Doctor for help.and yes definatly some counselling,  Let time go by, take that proverbial step back, and wait ....
group counseling is a great step to make adjustment now
No matter how hard it gets for you, adn it could get bad, make sure you stay with him. When he was gne, I guarentee, all he thought about was your relief and coming home to you. You are his world, you must continue to be. I am an army wife, although my husband hasnt been over seas yet, he has been gone a lot. One thing him and every army guy I know has said is Im the only one he thinks about, and the other husbands think about their wives teh whole time. One guy who works with my husband came to me when he heard my husband was going over seas. He told me that his wife left while he was gone and its the worst feeling ever. He told me all he wanted was to be home with her and when he got the chance, she was gone. He has been divorced for 8 years and is still single, and heart broken. Love your husband no matter what like he loves you. If you ever want to pm me feel free, Id love to talk.

xo