Military Health Issues Community
Fibromyalgia + Chronic Fatigue & Still Serving

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

To anyone who might have insight,

I entered the military a 19, and have served six years in the Air National Guard, and the past two in the Army National Guard until present. I will be hitting my 8 years of service this December 2010. I have about accumulated about 3 years of active service for training and various active duty tours. No overseas tours, I volunteered, but never deployed to combat, though I did spent a year in Kuwait as an Army civilian. I am 26 now, and a E-5/Sgt. in the Army National Guard. Full-time, I am civilian service in the Army community. My MOS is Public Affairs, and I am attached to an MPAD (Mobile Public Affairs Detachment) National Guard unit. In one capacity or another, in uniform or out, I have served this country since 2003.

I remember having pain throughout most of my adult life, and thinking it was normal. I went through bootcamp and AIT with it. After the pain escalted during my time in Kuwait, I began seeking professional care through my civilian healthcare, and returned to the states after my commitment at the end of the year. I went through about two years of testing and worsing symptoms to include pain and insomnia. It got so bad to the point of depression, problems with work and family, and just be able to fully function. I was finally diagnosed this past September with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. After finding a great Dr. and working on a multi-facated treatment plan, I am not cured but functioning better than I have in two years.

Because my diagnosis is recent, my name has not come up for deployment, and I have been able to muster through drill periods for the last two years, I have not yet disclosed this information to the Army National Guard. I am concerned that if I do, I will be  discharged and lose my current education benefits. I am also concerned because I have served 8 years of service, and am I not finished. I have a spotless service record, and only one line-of-duty injury that I have been able to recover from for the most part. I want to deploy still, and finish serving my time. I do not know how the Army or Veterans Affairs will treat me because of the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue and serving mostly as a National Guard member or Army civilian, and not on regluar active duty. At this point, I am taking regular medications and being treated for pain management weekly, still passing PT diagnostics unless I'm am in the middle of a flair-up, and continuing to perform to the best of my abilities. There is no known cause, or cure for this, and only my former LT, who is no longer a guard member, is aware of the condition. I am being treated with several medications that help with pain and insomnia, physical and massage therapy, and doing regular yoga and exercise.

Though I am doing well now, I do not know how my condition would react should I have to deploy or attend training courses I will coming up for, such as WLC, ect. I had also hoped to apply to a combat camera unit (airborne) with a high deployment tempo, a goal I have now put on hold until I can figure out a game plan.  Though I want to deploy, I understand the risk I could put others in if I am not healthy in combat zone.

I am not looking for an "Out" from the military, nor am I looking for guidance on how to get the military to give me a disability rating. I'm looking for guidance on how I might be treated when, or if I even should, disclose this information to the military, and hoping to find anyone with experience with this, or a doctor in the military community that might now what would come next. Thank you.
With your MOS you will receive a profile and most likely (not guaranteed) a waiver to continue serving. The waiver is not issued by the VA, but the organization to which you are assigned. Thus the criterion vary somewhat insofar as the USAR, the National Guard and the regular army.

I don't think you are going to put people at "great risk" as long as you aren't an 11bravo, or driving airplanes.

Unfortunately you really have no option in terms of revealing medical treatment. False statements are punishable both under the UCMJ and the United States Code.
i would talk to a service officer from the VA about your conditions. you need to let your unit commander know about your illness do not withhold any information, get copies of your military medical records they will be important to prove to the VA that you may have a service-connected disability due to your illness :)
Friend, see the other posts I have made in this forum, and here:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Lyme-Disease/Mycoplasmas/show/1451896
can my girlfriend join the military if i have Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue, and other issues, what does the doctor look for and phsyc tests, i think she might have asma, she coughs if she gets over excited like laughing almost like coughers smoke, and has hard time breathing,
if she can run like that I think they will take her