Military Health Issues Community
Fibromyalgia + Chronic Fatigue & Still Serving
About This Community:

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fibromyalgia + Chronic Fatigue & Still Serving

To anyone who might have insight,

I entered the military a 19, and have served six years in the Air National Guard, and the past two in the Army National Guard until present. I will be hitting my 8 years of service this December 2010. I have about accumulated about 3 years of active service for training and various active duty tours. No overseas tours, I volunteered, but never deployed to combat, though I did spent a year in Kuwait as an Army civilian. I am 26 now, and a E-5/Sgt. in the Army National Guard. Full-time, I am civilian service in the Army community. My MOS is Public Affairs, and I am attached to an MPAD (Mobile Public Affairs Detachment) National Guard unit. In one capacity or another, in uniform or out, I have served this country since 2003.

I remember having pain throughout most of my adult life, and thinking it was normal. I went through bootcamp and AIT with it. After the pain escalted during my time in Kuwait, I began seeking professional care through my civilian healthcare, and returned to the states after my commitment at the end of the year. I went through about two years of testing and worsing symptoms to include pain and insomnia. It got so bad to the point of depression, problems with work and family, and just be able to fully function. I was finally diagnosed this past September with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. After finding a great Dr. and working on a multi-facated treatment plan, I am not cured but functioning better than I have in two years.

Because my diagnosis is recent, my name has not come up for deployment, and I have been able to muster through drill periods for the last two years, I have not yet disclosed this information to the Army National Guard. I am concerned that if I do, I will be  discharged and lose my current education benefits. I am also concerned because I have served 8 years of service, and am I not finished. I have a spotless service record, and only one line-of-duty injury that I have been able to recover from for the most part. I want to deploy still, and finish serving my time. I do not know how the Army or Veterans Affairs will treat me because of the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue and serving mostly as a National Guard member or Army civilian, and not on regluar active duty. At this point, I am taking regular medications and being treated for pain management weekly, still passing PT diagnostics unless I'm am in the middle of a flair-up, and continuing to perform to the best of my abilities. There is no known cause, or cure for this, and only my former LT, who is no longer a guard member, is aware of the condition. I am being treated with several medications that help with pain and insomnia, physical and massage therapy, and doing regular yoga and exercise.

Though I am doing well now, I do not know how my condition would react should I have to deploy or attend training courses I will coming up for, such as WLC, ect. I had also hoped to apply to a combat camera unit (airborne) with a high deployment tempo, a goal I have now put on hold until I can figure out a game plan.  Though I want to deploy, I understand the risk I could put others in if I am not healthy in combat zone.

I am not looking for an "Out" from the military, nor am I looking for guidance on how to get the military to give me a disability rating. I'm looking for guidance on how I might be treated when, or if I even should, disclose this information to the military, and hoping to find anyone with experience with this, or a doctor in the military community that might now what would come next. Thank you.