Military Health Issues Community
Head Injury scaring me

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

Head Injury scaring me

Ok I have been in the Marine Corp since January 20th of this year. I made it through bootcamp with no problems, But after bootcamp I went to (MCT) Marine Combat Training, and I feel off some bleachers and hit my head really hard, hard enough to knock my self out for a minute or so. I got up and everything was fine, just had a huge head ache and dont remember the incident. Well the next morning I woke up and had dry blood in my ear, and was shocked. I did not go to medical because everything felt fine, I just had a headache. But its been 2 months now and I still get huge head aches to where i get really dizzy, double vision, and nauseated. When I bend over or sit down and stand i get really dizzy. The headache is not there all the time but pretty much 65% of the time. I have fainted twice and most nights i fall asleep and wake up and wonder what I did before I went to bed and what time I went to sleep and how the hell I ended up in bed? Its really wierd and freaking me out. I havent been to medical because everyone I ask this about tells me I will get discharged. I cant afford that. My symptoms get worst and worst. They are not getting better. So I was wondering What the heck this could be? and Could I get discharged for this if I went to medical? someone please help because now its just getting scary.
I am so sorry you are going through this I am sure there will be an answer for you hang in there I will do some checking and ask others who may know more.
One of our vets has said he will try to get some information for you and will post after work, I do think you need medical attention as there could be a Hematoma ,bleeding in the brain that warrants some treatment especially with the other symptoms you describe, I also understand you feeling scared, but I really advice you to go to a Doctor even a civillian one for help.Your health is important best to see someone. Good luck
you really need to get checked out. even though you may feel fine aside from the dizziness and the headaches there could be bleeding in your brain or something building up pressure.

even if you're scared you need to think about your health. that is what's important. what would happen if you were deployed and these fainting spells got worse? you could be putting not only yourself in danger but also your unit. right now not only do you need to think about you but others around you. those marines are your brothers and they count on you to be 100%. right now you are NOT 100%. you need to get medical attention.
Good evening Marine;

Thank you for joining up and congratulations for making it well past Basic.

I hope my words make sense.

I am not a medic, not do I pretend to have a great deal of medical knowledge, nor am I a barracks lawyer.  But, having been involved in some pretty rough activities over the years (military and civilian), it sounds like you had, at the least, a concussion.  (Been there.)

Get thee to sick call, before the trouble becomes permanent.

Your story is one I have lived: banged your head, felt okay after a little bit, shrugged it off...but now you think different.

Hell, 6 years ago I fell out of a tree while climbing to my stand during deer season - 15' down, flat on my back.  Bounced so hard, my buddy heard me in his stand, 75 meters away.  I did the "man up" thing, felt a twinge in my lower back (tore a muscle) but my fingers and toes worked okay, climbed back up and hunted the rest of the day...now I have a scar mass that presses on the main nerve going down to my right leg from the base of the spine.  Doc says they can cut, but doesn't guarantee a lack of nerve damage; I'll take the pain.

You do not have to; if you get help.

If your job performance hasn't been suffering, I do not think the repercussions will be too stiff; maybe company punishment or an Article 15.  This is something from which you can recover, I did and eventually made Staff Sergeant.

As is, you will only be a burden to your fellow Marines, if this stays untreated.

If you are worried about the 180 Day mark, get civilian help.  Though, I really dislike advising going around proper channels.

Help yourself Marine.  Thereby, you do stand for what I understand the Corps to teach.

Good luck - Steven
(Army Guard '75 - '79, USAF Res '83 - '92)
( Infantry and Combat Engineers)
Thank you so much for helping this Marine Piperskeggr, your input is invaluable, candj5000 will you let us know how you got on we would like to know. Good Luck and Thank you..
Glad to help.

Marine, do let us know, however it goes!

Get to help, get well and I hope you are able to continue to serve.
You may get discharged but you could also get a good chunk of money if it was at work that it happened. I dont know about in the states but in canada, my husband (who is in the canadian army) punched a wall, not on duty and broke his hand. They paid him for the time off work he missed, trips to the specialist, the whole bit.
Good afternoon;

Could turn into a similar situation, as the injury was sustained in service while attending a training session.

Hopefully, for our young Marine, the worst is an honorable, medical discharge, with a disability rating.

Best case is, of course, that he gets well with the help of the Corps and goes on to serve well, for as long as he wishes.
Well i am not a Doc but i think if i was you i would go to a Doc to get check out because if you don;t and you be worse then what you are dealing with now.I would just go and see what they say i don;t think they would medically discharge you unless there is something wrong really bad ..But you do need to go to the DOC to get a check up and see what is causing it..