Military Health Issues Community
Medical Review Board-Fit for Duty

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

Medical Review Board-Fit for Duty

I'm a member of the national guard and my unit is mobilizing to Iraq. I was recently identified as medically non-deployable. I have Hasimoto's, pernicious anemia, and suffer from depession. Is there anyone out there that has been through a medical review board to determine if they are fit for duty? Please let me know.

Chloe
Chole,  i would sugest to talk with a veterens sevice organazation, like the DAv, VFW, they have trained peopel to answer yourt questions, I am a vet and ahve leare things the hard way, are they wanting to give  youo a mediacial discharge? and i would think you are intitteled to conspenation, esp for the deprssion, iam not familiar with Hasomots, pernicous anemia, but yuo should be entitled to service conection for thsi allso. . be sure and geta copy of all your med records.this allso.I ahve only been to a med borad to decide how much i was disabled  not same matter as your ssiuation.

Pointman
By all means, get copies of all of your medical and service records as soon as possible.
Too many problems can happen down the road, and it's always best to have your own copies of all records, treatments, etc.
I can't really address your concern about fit for service ~ maybe the Iraq Afghanstan Veterans Association will have a current Veteran Service Officer in your local area or VA than may know the current requirements ~ and you may find commrades that have been in your position ~ and come out of it with their medical care secured through the VA, and that's enough to get your claim started for Service Connected Pension!!!
My nephew in OR ANG on his second tour, Sgt Kittleson, my Hero!
The ANG has people set up to help you get through some of these steps also for medical care, family insurance, things like that. Let's see if I can remember their web address? Darn, I couldn't find it... I'm on the family readiness group www.guardfamily.org but didn't find any links to health care. I think you can find it through the links to your State Guard site! I know this is available to you Chloe!
Blessings to you! May all your Dreams Come True!
I cannot possibly thank you for your service, but I can try to be here for you toward your support for care and services! I can be reached at VeteranAdvoate AT comcast.net.
Peace & Respect ~ Woshi
I had a friend who recently took his own life b/c he was forced out by a med review board (we were both active and I still am in the guard).  He wanted to stay in.  He was cleared by the board for a deployment to Iraq, went and did his tour, came back and then went through the board again.  The second time, they found him unfit for active duty with the same problems he had when he deployed.

The review board was one of the reasons he committed suicide.  All I would recommend is that you keep all of your paperwork and make sure everything is documented.  If you want to get out, get all the med attention you can before you process out, i.e., dental, eye care, physical, and so on.  Have you deployed?  Have you been on active duty?  These are important b/c if any of your problems occurred while you were in the military, you want the board to know that b/c you might be entitled to some compensation.

Best of luck.
I'm about to go through a similar Medical Review Board very shortly as well and getting nervous. Please let me know if you get any good contacts or could recommend any links.
I've been told that I am being declared medically non deployable all of a sudden as my unit is gearing up for deployment. between my prior service in the Navy and my current term in the guard I have 18.5 yrs in, and my fear is not making 20yrs. I had hoped to go until I'm 60 and they get out and not have to wait a long time to start drawing full retirement. Also My wife has been through a lot of medical problems arising from a auto accident and losing my Tricare at current payment levels, would be financial disaster.Any thoughts. I had a plan about doing a conditional release and getting in the Army reserves, but I seem to be running into issues there too. - B. Murray SCARNG
Customarily a so-called "profile" is filed and a waiver granted to permit continuance of duty for purposes of pension within the Continental United States. In the past, providing you have an essential MOS and a good record, plus endorsement of the commanding officer, these waivers have been routinely granted. A lot depends upon your MOS and record. VA treatment depends upon whether or not you have served more than 180 days on continuous active duty. I have a friend who was both awarded a Combat Infantryman's badge, as well as having served as a helicopter gunship pilot, who was initially denied medical treatment as a Veteran (he was National Guard) because his service in Vietnam was less than ninety days. Eventually, he was, in fact awarded veteran's status.