Military Health Issues Community
PTSD is now called Pre-existing Personality Disorder

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

AT Colorado and California Military Bases, PTSD is now called pre-existing personality disorder by the US Military Forces Doctors. This change in policy was due to too many soldiers coming by from the current wars of Iraq and Afgasnastan sick.  At most Colorado Bases you can be discharged from the military service for having Epilepsy and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  In fact serveral have been released from military service without treatment or disability pay. This is the only way for the government to save money and thanking it current soldiers for a job well done. The strategy is to blame it on some pre-existing disorder that you had before entering military service. That way no one has any responisibility to treat you or take care of you. This poster has first hand knowledge of these statements for the VA Administration treated me the same way back in 1982 when I left the service. I had to live on Welfare and food stanps because, I was unable to work due to PTSD and Epiepsy for the first 7 yrs after I got out.
I believe this policy was changed because of the outcry of the soldiers like yourself.  You can get this changed and recieved compensation for it, if you have not done so already.  Contact me if you have not done so, I will guild you to in the right direction.
I have seen and am seeing a DAV Representitive but, I do not think her heart is in my case.  She claims to be helping me all the time, I call her on the phone.  Physical Materials ( medical evidence pages) keep disappearing from my VA Files all the time. So, I keep getting a denile letters from the VA Administration all the time.   When I call the VA they tell me that this page or that page are not in my files so, they had no choice but to give me a denile every time.  Each time, I give them a copy of the missing pages, they some how do not make it to the board of appeals and again I am denied. Thise sort of thng has been going on for the past 26 yrs now.  I wrote to my state senator Ken Salazar and he cannot do nothing for me so far.  The VA has thumbed their noses up at the Senator and I my case has gone no where quick.  The VA Administration is not afraid of the Congress of the USA.  At present time all I can do is keep putting back all those missing medical pages and file another appeal.

Disgusting and unacceptable !  Let me know who I should write and/or call. I will also spread the word.

I found an article on this. Arggg...

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/WoodruffReports/story?id=3368726

Received a reply from a VSO.  He said: You need to get a opinion letter from a doctor.  This doctor needs to
review his medical records prior to going in the military and also
know how bad he is now.  If the individual has gotten worse, then the
Doctor needs to explain how much worse he is.  An example is, if the
vet were be rated 10% prior to entering the military and is now 70%,
then he would be rated 60% 70%-10%=60%.  If he is rated 60%, the vet
can apply for IU and get 100%.  W/O that letter, he doesn't stand a
chance.  I'd apply for IU with the claim this way if the VA grants,
he doesn't have to re-apply for IU.  If he gets let say 50% with a
previous rating of 10% for a pre existing condition 50%-10%=40%, I'd
do a NOD (Notice of Disagreement) requesting a DRO adjudicate the
appeal.  You need to tell the vet when he goes for his C&P exam, he
needs to be at his worst and tell the doctor that.  Also you can go
with a recruiting station and find out about waivers and see what the
military will take if a person has a pre-existing condition.  If you
can't get a letter from a doctor, the military's own criteria (in
writing) will help.  Give that criteria to the doctor w/o the
individuals civilian (pre-military) medical records that he should
get SC for his mental illness.
First I am not wanting to come up with excuses but, this is your reply.
I was never in the hospital or seen by a doctor at any time before entering the military in 1972. My family was very poor and never took us to the doctors so, there was no records to review as a civilian. I was never hurt in any accident prior to military service.  The only times, I went to the doctors was during my active duty time.  During my time on active duty and after my last ETS.  I told many doctors of my concerns and conditions and even my ex-wife told the doctors. They would not listen to me or her and said that there was no such illness and symptoms as we discribed to them.  They (military doctors) put down the three accidents and the times and dates of the accidents and noughting more.  They put down the hospital stay for Generalized Anxiety and nerves break down.  They never let me do any follow up appointments after the US Hospital stays.  Remember, I was very very young when all this  happened to me.  My wife was young and did not have very much education. The military was able to push allot of lies down our throats because, we were so young and ignorant of the laws.
Niether me or my wife had anyone to represent us in any legal matters in regards to medical treatments. A civilian doctor during that time told me it was more than likely Epilepsy as a result of the hits over the head.  But, they military would not write down the name of the siizures or that I even had seizures.  I had to wait until I was out of the military to get a doctor to do all the proper tests and the civilian doctors told me in writting that it was Complex Partial Seizures and Generalized Anxiety Disorder with Agoraphobia.  Last year the VA Hospital Neurology Department gave me their medical opinions on my case.  This doctor report tied all my prior medical records together both civilian records and the military records. This was (August 2007).  I quickly sent this information to the Regional VA Administration Office in support of my pending case.  The VA Court of Appeals re-jected the medical report right away and would not enter it in to my appeal case.  The only thing that appears strange to me is that the VA Court of Appeals would not take the words of their very own medical staff downtown Denver. So, I am appealing their denial once more.
You are not making excuses.  You deserve all the benifits you can get, including compensation.  Do you have a good VSO?  I think the next step would be a Notice of Disagreement if I understand you correct. They should not reject any information that comes from their own doctors.  I hope you are keeping copies of everything.  The VA tends to loose records.  I know..We have sent some information three times.
Yes, I try and keep every letter and/or medical report in two brown cardboard boxes.  I have hundreds of medical reports kept in my home office at my house. The first 20 yrs after I was out, the  VA Administration in Denver CO had all my medical records in their facility.  I during that time I put in written request after request for a copy of my active duty medical records.  I even wrote to St Louis MO for a copy, to be told that they do not have my medical records. They (St. Louis) told me they (medical records) are now and have always been in Denver CO VA facility.  In 1983, I contacted the Disabled American Veterans organization when I lived in Cheyenne WY.  Denver CO VA services the area of Cheyenne, WY. The DAV in Cheyenne refused to take on my case. The VA Regional Office refused to give out copy of my active duty records for the next 25 yrs.  The Social Security Office in Denver, CO requested a copy also and was not given a copy of my active duty medical records, either.  So, you see the war between me and the US Government goes on and on and on.
The really sad part is, now the VA Denver Facility Hospital will not send any more neurologist out to my house because of my latest claim for compensation. The VA Hospital says they can no longer treat me until the current case is settled.
Yesterday, I found out that the VA Administration told the SSA that I only spent 4 years in the milltary service not 10 yrs.  In reality, I have 3 honorable discharges dated 1972 through 1982. Just goes to show you how far the VA Administration will go to dis-credit a fellow soldier.  I have an appointment with the SSA this month to correct that mistake. If not for the SSA, I would be living in a homeless shetter for the last  26 yrs and, the VA Regional Office in Denver said this over the phone to me last week. They told me that I could count my blessing that I had 10 yrs of service
This is where I stand today 7/20/2008.
I am working with the DAV in Denver CO (303) 914-5570.  This is for your information. Her name is Dotty.
My hubby has a good VSO, and we live in MO.  He has one with the MO Veterans Commission here.  I am glad you found a good SO.  I am not one to put one organation over another.  There are bad SOs in every org., and visa versa,  There are also good ones.  If I didn't say it before, Welcome Home and Thank you...these are not just words to me as they are from my heart.  Keep Hanging In there!
If you developed epilepsy on duty, it is compensible. I see no connection between PTSD and epilepsy.  I am very dubious about most claims of having "PTSD" and using that as an excuse not to work. That may not be what people want to hear, but it is my opinion.
Put it this way sir, if you were in the US Army Signal Corps and on active duty and was hospitalized for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, it began in Army.  I for one was never seen by any doctor prior to going to the military back in 1972.  If I would have had such a disorder prior to military service I would not have gone there in the first place. If a US Army Soldier is on active duty and gets hit over the head three times during his care and it results in Epilepsy and/or seizures, whom's fault is it?  I was hit over head with a heavy object in 1975,  hit over the head with sharpened 2X4 piece of wood very hard in 1977 and had a steel type writer smashed into your face and right temple area, whom fault is it?  All these reports were filed in the US Army Emergency Rooms and reported right away and placed into my files. When, I told the civilian doctors about my accidents on active duty, they ask me to show them proof in my Army Medical Files. The only problem is that the US Army and VA Administration kept telling me and the civilian doctors that my records are missing and lost for 25 yrs after military service. Colorado State Senator Ken Salazar's Office found then right on the shelf at my local VA Regional Office in Denver where they have been for the last 20 yrs or so.  So whom fault is it they suddenly became lost after my active duty service was up???  The Social Security Disabiliy Insurance gave me 100% Disability for Service Related Injuries but, at the same time the US Army and VA Administration said I was perfectly normal. The SSA sent me to many different specialist and did many test on my poor brain. They gave me 100% disability right after getting out of service.  It made me look like a out and out liar when I mentioned my 3 TBI's  to the civilian doctors because, I had no medical records from the Army Hospital to back up my statements until, 25 yrs later when the good US Senator produced them for me.  He obtained then in just 2 weeks time and placed them on my door steps.  Just being lazy, I do not think so sir.  
Generalized Anxiety
Complex Partial Seizure
Inner ear damage
Movement Disorder  (cannot move in different directions or up and down qucikly)
Bright Light Sensitive
House-bound
You try living with all these medical conditions every day sir.........
I take offence to the statement. "I am very dubious about most claims of having "PTSD" and using that as an excuse not to work".  Each person who goes to war,  does so with their own personally baggage.  One guy may be more pre deposed to developing PTSD under the same circumstances as another would.  The fact still remains that if that one with PTSD didn't go to war, he would not have PTSD caused from the trama of battles fought.  That does not make the one who does develop PTSD any less a person or weak or LAZY.  
The US Military is just like any other corporation.  If you get hurt while on the job or get beaten severely by your fellow workers, they compensate you for your injuries.  It does not matter whether you are in a combat zone at the time of injury or not.  You as a military personnel can be state side working at a base in one of the 50 states. You could fall into a man-hole, off a telephone pole, or get hurt while running in an official military convoy.  Heck, you could be repelling down the victory towel in training and get hurt and the military is still responsible for your injuries 24 yrs a day, 7 days a week.  This non-sense about being in a war zone just does not cut it with me.
I was first, injuried physically and psychologically in the military back in 1972 by fellow American Soldiers.  It was my first permanent duty assignment in Turkey.  I was approach several times by my fellow soldiers asking me if I wanted to use or sale drugs for them.  Each time, I refused to listen to their non-sense. (Fact: Early 70's the US Military had a drug problem among its troops)  When, I refused them, one night they drug me out of my bunk and took me to the cliffs behind the barracks and beat me severely and the following days they harrashed me to no end. (Mental Abuse). I broke down in a nerves break down. I was hospitalized for it. Several weeks later, I was sent to a Neurologist and he put down in writting that I was suffering from Generalized Axiety Disorder. These are in my files that were released to me some 25 yrs after my service ended.  I was repairing US Army telephone in a club when I was hit over the head by a heavy blunt object and knocked out cold with a severely lacerated skull, frontal lobe.  Six months later, I started having seizures.  Repelling in Arizona military base, fell and jammed a sharpen 2X4 into the top of my head again, front lobe area.  
Germany blacked out on job fell down cement stairways, smashed face into steel type writer, agian right temple, right side of head.
It does not matter where these injuries happened in a combat zone or not. I was in uniform, on active duty,  and on the job.   Now, some of you honestly think that the US Military is not responsible to my request for compensation?  Maybe you fellows should go back to the VA Neurologist and have your heads exaimed for brain damage.
Otherwise, show me some kind of proof as to how the US Military is not responsible for my personal injuries on the job.????
If your comment was to me, I did not mean to imply that our government did not owe all that served in uniform.  I have a dear friend who was in Germany during the Vietnam era.  There was some 'injuries' while she was there.  I believe she, you, and others who were injured while in the military, should be compensate.  Our government asked a lot of our soldiers while they are in service,  we (taxpayers of US) should provide for them.   I'm with a group now attempting to rewrite a Bill for Congress to included Blue Water Navy, Korea, and other countries where our men and women were exposed to Agent Orange.
My comment was to Caregiver, who thinks PTSD is an excuse not to work.  PTSD is a real injury.  It may not be as visible as a  physical injuries, but it is real.  It does prevent some from working a steady job, it has nothing to do with being lazy.  No, I was never in the Military and No I don't have PTSD.  I do know a lot of veterans who do have PTSD.  
PTSD is not the first diagnose when trauma happens.  It is normally call Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  It is when these same systems  last for months that it is re classified as PTSD.  So  Dualdis3, I believe you have a good claim using your medical records for PTSD, as long as you have that diagnosis now.  IF you don't have it diagnose yet, go get it.
Get you military Med records and make several copies, keep one in safe place.
I am in, tell me how I can help.  My dad was diagnosed with PTSD from vietnam era, he has since died due to brain tumor....they could not explain. I can't get the autopsy report now........I WILL CALL WRITE OR WHATEVER IF YOU NEED A SIGNATURE.
Try getting his medical or death records locally.  His death records should be at the local  court house under Vital Records section.  There they have brith and death records. His medical records can be obtained at the hospital or clinic whrere he was when he died. The medical records office in the hospital or clinic should have a copy of his records on file. Make sure you take a current state ID card with you and a copy of your birth certificate with you as proof you are related to the dead person.
and I got a call from the decetant benefits lady at our local VA hospital that the coroner would have to meet with me, after many calls I was not able to make an appointment and now unable to get a return call.  I know how he died, but need the actuals from the autopsy report.....will keep trying.....
oh my gosh! I am so terribly sorry! i will pray for you and the rest of our service people giving their LIVES.  everything changes after they get finished with you.  even if you don't go to war.  they play God.  I will be praying for you and all of the rest.  HUGS
I would call PTSD autoimmune cenral nervous system issue that BUTYL would cause

http://www.valdezlink.com/re/avoidpesticides.htm

I suspect it is one aspect of exposure to explosions & cleaning compounds (whatever guns & other things are cleaned with) and that you have Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction syndrome.

I think you would look like civilians with this diagnosis and like the 'gulf war syndrome' vets and like the Vietnam Vets who have blamed Dioxin or AO instead of the propellant that sprayed the AO.

See how you compare

And if I am right, the anemia doctors don't usually find, is the proof of what is the root cause.

Hoping everyone everywhere in and out of the military will get a copy of their medical records

Reclassification here is horrible.  Not unlike not allowing cerebral palsy for a birth defect for the Vietnam Vets ... too many cases ... so govt didn't want it to 'break the bank'

http://www.valdezlink.com/re/jan08.htm

You are dealing with autoimmune issues almost exclusively

And you need to help your doctors by giving them more info

http://www.valdezlink.com/re/butylcauses.htm

and share this info, please - they have too many wrong medical views to figure this one out
A new study DOES support the link between epilepsy & PTSD.