Military Health Issues Community
TBI and its affects

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

TBI and its affects

I suffer from frontal lobe damage from many incidents while patrolling in Iraq in 2003 and 2004. We were attacked with mortars, RPG's, and small arms fire every other night. I have recieved 10 concussions and now suffer from memory loss, impaired decession making, hearing loss, and vision loss. Not to mention the horrible nightmares and night sweats I have. I have an inability to maintain a career due to my anxiety and self-induced panic attack when finding myself in a situation i feel i can not overcome.

My question:

Is this a situation I bring up to a psychologist or a doctor whom specializes in brain damage? And, is there such memory activities I can conduct by myself to help me in my ability to navigate through school and my home town?

Thanks,

Thomas B.
I am not qualified to answer what you ask, I have some input however,are you taking any Meds for Anxiety and Panic attacks, they are scary but sometimes the Meds we take make it worse, and have side effects.I do believe there are memory activities you can do your self There is a book called "Use it or Loose it" by AllenD. Bragdon and David Gamon Phd, they give a bunch of tests to do and it is very informative.Good luck to you, please know we care and we would all like you to let us know how you are doing.
I received three blows to the head during my active duty military service. I am a throw back from the Vietnam Era.  Twice within two years, I received two hits to the top of my head within the hair-line area, still part of the frontal lobe area. Once, 1975 and once in 1977.  Then just three years later a deep puncture wound to the right temple area.  I started having Anxiety and panic attacks along with seizures at the sametime or maybe one followed the other.  I battled with and still am battling these two conditions for many, many years. It kept me from doing meaningful work and going to school again. Careers, forget about getting another career ever. Different experimental medications given by the civilian doctors and the VA Hospitals will take away any chance of recovery you might pray for.  I have had to live on Welfare, food, stamps, and Social Security my whole life. I even lost my wife of many years because of my seizure and Anxiety attacks.  Now, I am house bound and cannot leave my property line or front yard.
I lived through all of that and, I am still alive and, I am still hanging in there. So, stay strong do not let these disorders defeat you.  Keep on fighting for your rights and the rights of others whom have these disorders.  Fight against, the VA Regional System that will continue to deny your claims.  Do not let the government get away with trying to shove your case under the rug.  Let them know every once in a while you are still alive and going to remain strong until you win.
I have a horrible memory sometimes, especially under periods of stress and anxiety.
I also flew a full size 1200cc BMW off a cliff in No. Cal. years ago and think I have caused a little brain damage there also. Our bodies also have a built in defense mechanism to not recall events that are too traumatic, just a part of the fight or flight response that has protected us for so long.
One of the things I do to increase my comfortability level is use repetition. When things are routine, and without surprise, I tend to have less anxiety, even with the unexpected things that happen. Repetition and routine also seem to reinforce my sense of safety so I try to use it to my advantage and comfort.

Dualdis is right ~ fight the VA. I'm a trained/volunteer Veteran Service Officer and it sounds to me like you should be 100% service connected. If you're not getting anywhere with your application for benefits, get a NEW Service Officer!! My experience has been that "some of the old timers" are either not up to date, or are just burned out from fighting the VA for decades! It's a lot of work doing claims ~ you have to know the laws, and more importantly, you have to know how to put these claims together in order to get them approved quickly! Anyway ~ I just get so frustrated with the VA. Why on God's green earth would our budget for Veterans benefits have to be approved every single January??? I've balked from going to work for the state or fed. VA for years. I wonder if I could make a difference if I went to work for the ODVA or VA? You're all SO in my prayers! Peace & Respect ~ LZ
I have TBI and suffer from memory loss contact your primary-care provider about getting screened at you nearest VA facility
also see neurology community here at medhelp.org
Hi Hero - You posted a while ago and I just saw your letter - I hope you read this response.  The type of doctor who diagnoses and treats frontal lobe brain damage (as well as damage to other areas of the brain) is called a neuropsychologist.  This kind of doctor isn't just a specialized psych doctor, but rather, one who diagnoses specific areas of brain damage and its effects on cognition (thinking), behavior, and emotion, among other things.   Have you learned much about frontal lobe injury?  If you have, you might have found info that talked about problems with planning and follow-through, emotional  control, judgement, vulnerability (called suggestibility), paying attention, irritability, distractibility, inappropriate social behavior, trouble getting motivated, depression, fatigue, organizing and staying organized,  little tolerance for stress....and more.  But before I say anything else, I want to say that although any of the above problems you might have are awful to live with, there is help and none of those things are your fault!!   I say this because you used the phrase in your post  "self induced panic attacks."  I don't believe they are self induced.  I hope you have seen a neuropsych doctor by now, or will see one, and that you will be properly diagnosed and given help:  supportive medical staff who will teach you strategies to cope with neuro deficits caused by injury, psych support, possible meds such as anti-anxiety, anti-depressants,  etc.  If you have PTSD in addition to frontal injury, know that PTSD is a very very real thing - and needs and deserves treatment.  You truly are a hero.  You deserve the best this country has to offer in the way of medical care and I hope you are getting it. -caringnurse