Military Health Issues Community
Waiting On A Claim?

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

Waiting On A Claim?

If your a disabled vet and have filed a claim with the VA and are in the "hurry up and wait mode", I just want to share some info about checking on the status of your claim.
It's never a good idea to call the 1-800 number.  Why?  9 times out of 10 the number of times you call this number and the number of different folks you talk to is equal to the number of different answers you will get regarding the status of your claim.
So how do you check on your claim's status?
File an IRIS.  Go to the VA main web site and file and IRIS inquiry...there is an added benefit to doing this, you will have your answer in writing.

Good luck to all who have claims in the processing stage!
-JKJ-
what is the main web site ?
The VA main web site is www.va.gov.
thank you! I love it when people are able to share successful resources for our Veterans!!

I've always thought that calling for an update on the claim, even after the endless hours of waiting on hold and going through multiple people that don't know what they're talking about to get to an actually knowledgeable claims person... checking on the claim stops the flow of progress and may even longer prolong it's adjudication.

Go Veterans!! Thank you!! You're all in my prayers!!
thank you - scotty
I am a Vet and worked for the American Legion and my suggestion is that if you are working with a Service Organization, ALWAYS, ALWAYS go thru your Service Officer for EVERYTHING, NEVER go thru the VA directly for ANYTHING they can pull your file faster than the VA and have your answer and it is always better to go see your Vet Rep in person instead of on the phone whenever possible cause if there is paperwork to be done you can get it done then.  And if your NOT working with a Free Veterans Service Organization start TODAY.  Good Luck and Thank you for Serving