Military Health Issues Community
desert storm spouse sick

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

desert storm spouse sick

HI, I am the ex wife of a disabled Desert Storm veteran. I have suffered similar symptoms as he has since he has been home, so have our children. I have had to pay for my own Medical care and I am at my wits end; there is always something new and weird popping up as far as my health goes. I am listed on the Registry and have been since the early 90's; what good that has ever done me. Is there anyone that knows what is really goin' on as far as spousal sickness resulting from the GULF??? Otis
I think I know.  I looked into the harm of the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup workers and found that their symptoms of ill health (bioremediation workers who were exposed to 2-butoxyethanol ... butyl for short) had the same odd assortment of symptoms that the 'gulf war syndrome vets' have.

I noticed this in 2003 mid year and by the end of 2003 I found that this same chemical was listed in Book 2:  "Solvents and Pesticides the gulf war troops were exposed to.

Now, this chemical has a second hand solvent exposure to it.  Someone very strongly exposed would expel the chemical in their respiration ... which would get into the eyes of those who are around them a lot ... and be exposing them to the same chemical.

Civilians would call it CFIDS, CFS, FM, ME.  The exact variation is irrelevant.  The proof of the chemical that causes the odd symptoms (you are dealing with a host of AUTOIMMUNE issues) is the anemia ... the FATIGUE ... that hides out.

The doctors must LOOK at the RED BLOOD cells.  and look in different ways to find the anemia it causes:  autoimmune hemolytic anemia or immune mediated hemolytic anemia.  This chemical causes so many things to go wrong at once, that it has evaded medical science for a century, maybe longer.

It is very commonly used in home cleaning products and not disclosed.  New exposures should be avoided at all costs.  Exposure looks like the flu or flatulence with diarrhea.
Let me do some checking and see if I can find anyting out about this.
Here's some info I found out from another vet:

Heroic Dr. Nicolson Warns
GWI Is A Contagious Epidemic
By Stephen Thorne
Canadian Press
2-8-99

OTTAWA (CP) -- An American research scientist says some Gulf War vets, including Canadians, are suffering from man-made contagions that have spread to their spouses, children, even pets.

Garth Nicolson of the California-based Institute for Molecular Medicine, says scientists from the non-profit centre have discovered organisms in the blood of veterans and their families.

"What we're finding is that about half of the veterans and their symptomatic family members have evidence of chronic infections," Nicolson said in an interview from Huntington Beach.

"These can be infections with bacteria, like brucella, or mycoplasmas. They're airborne contagions and they can spread."

What's even more disturbing is that Nicolson believes the contagions are manufactured, the product of an insidious chemical weapon.

Some associated with the potentially lethal ailments allude to conspiracies of X-Files proportions. Sufferers and their families, many frustrated and desperate, contend officialdom knows more than it lets on.

Military researchers have expressed doubts about the institute's findings, saying they've found no signs the illnesses are contagious and that standard blood tests have failed to confirm claims of the presence of microscopic organisms.

But the evidence, say U.S. civilian researchers, is overwhelming that what's ailing Gulf War vets is not a natural phenomenon.

"They (the mycoplasma) contain retroviral DNA sequences ... suggesting that they have been modified to make them more pathogenic and more difficult to detect," said Nicolson.

Symptoms can include anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue, environmental illness and respiratory disease. Some sufferers have contracted problems similar to multiple sclerosis or ALS; others have died or committed suicide.

Nicolson's findings have been given the scrutiny of peer-reviewed journal publications and two commercial U.S. laboratories have backed his work. Now the U.S. Veterans Affairs Department is testing it in a year-long study involving hundreds of Gulf War veterans.

"From a scientific point of view, it's an interesting hypothesis," department spokesman Terry Jemison said from Washington. "We thought that veterans deserved to have the opportunity."

Canadian military officials maintain Gulf War illness -- actually at least 14 illnesses, say researchers -- is largely the result of post-traumatic stress.

"One of the possibilities to consider is that many of the complaints of Gulf War veterans, as a group, may be an expression of having participated in a unique war with unique stresses," said a consultant's report.

But the report, filed to the Canadian government last spring, also cites possible exposure to chemical and biological warfare agents, vaccines such as anthrax and botulinum toxoid, oil-well smoke and pesticides.

Many Gulf War troops were also given pyridostigmine bromide -- similar to a muscle relaxant, said Dr. Don Philbin, a Nicolson associate in Granby, Que.

"It's supposed to build up the defence system but I think what it did was overpower the neurological defence system."

The report noted the first rotation of the Canadian naval task force had a markedly different war experience from the second rotation and other units.

"The first rotation was prior to the air war, had no administration of pyridostigmine bromide, plague or anthrax vaccine and no other war-related exposures such as oil-well smoke, spent weapons, etc.," it said.

"A majority of the second rotation experienced all or most of the above."

Why then do so many vets from both rotations report similar illnesses?

Nicolson believes the mycoplasma was transmitted among soldiers, sailors and airmen. Nicolson's institute has found the organisms in scores of U.S. service staff and their families and he believes the problem is spreading.

Mycoplasma are about the same size as viruses but unlike viruses can reproduce outside living cells. Many are harmless but the most virulent -- mycoplasma fermentans -- is the one most commonly found in Gulf veterans.

"We have found so far that about half of the hundreds of patients tested have an invasive mycoplasma infection that can result in complex signs and symptoms that can be successfully treated with antibiotics," said Nicolson, who cured his own daughter of a Gulf War-like illness.

Nicolson and his wife Nancy say they have developed new testing procedures -- gene tracking -- to diagnose the mycoplasma. They say their treatment regime has also met success in cases of chronic fatigue and other ailments.

U.S. federal researchers have trained in the Nicolsons' techniques and U.S. Veterans Affairs is following Nicolson's treatment regime, giving hundreds of affected veterans the antibiotic doxycycline to gauge its effectiveness.

For individuals, the testing costs about $150 US for an initial diagnosis; $250 US for each test thereafter
I'm  it sure I can say my ex husband he came back to me and our daughters a different man he was hurtfull to us this is the first time I could say that this man hurt me
JKJ has pointed you in the right direction, moreso with the mycoplasma vs outside toxins.  In infections even spread to the pets in some families!