Military Health Issues Community
exposure that causes acute myelogenous leukemia

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

Hi, my brother served in the USN with much of it aboard ship as a Sonar tech for 20+ years. A little over a year ago he was suddenly diagnosed with AML (the subtype was the kind you get with exposure to environmental agents). I can find benzene exposure ads for attorneys who want to sue but cannot find real articles that will connect the AML to service so that he can get through the red tape to get VA disability.  It is especially important now as he became septic from chemo and was in a coma for an extended period. When he "woke up", he was paralyzed and had gangrene from the medication they gave him to save his life when he was sick with sepsis.  He has since had his leg and foot on other leg amputated as well as  many secondary surgeries tied to being paralyzed and having had system shutdown. He is very slowly getting better, but I believe that he could be doing even better if we could get him in a system that is, unfortunately, too used to dealing with these problems. He is also limited by the amount tricare will pay for therapy.  He has been denied VA once and we are awaiting word on the appeal of that decision. There must be a way that this stumbling block can be overcome.  Ideas? I cannot understand when I know of men with full time jobs after retirement that are also collecting 50, 60 and 70% disability, that a retired service member has to go through this to get the help he needs.  Especially when it is not possible for him to "chase" down details now.  Thanks for any help.
  • CML Leukemia (9 replies):
    I served in the military from 1793 to 1993, in Feb 2004 ...[more]
If your brother developed AML within one year after separtation from service he should quailify for SC with the VA.  But he also has to have evidence that support there was exposure.  
Paula, I ask some friends of mine...this was one reply:
What ships was he on and years??? Also because of the situation and medical necessity involved in the current situation you need to contact his veteran service officer and association that is handling his claim currently they can have it expedited due to the severity of his condition .

Here is another link that may be able to help
http://www.va-claim-help.com/

http://www.va-claim-help.com/AML-leukemia.html

Here are some VA award Decision to look at

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files1/0806361.txt

In conjunction with the situation currently  you need the doctor to write an update to the Nexus Lexis letter apprising the VA of the criticality of the current situation. That alone has the power for them to grant temporary disability due to medical necessity  while the case progresses through the appeals process. It should be a 100% award due to the course of events described.

Additionally you need to file a letter of treatment appeal with the Champus Tricare system for the region he is is in over the treatment issues and clarify that the treatment is essential to  maintaining life. They will then review the case and also can override and provide the essential medical treatment. Needs .
Aletta, thank you so much. I will get on the websites tomorrow and see what I can find out. I had not seen any of the sites you listed. Thank you again. Take care. paula
Here is another link for ya! http://www.veteransinfo.org/id15.html  
Contact the 'webmaster' Snakecharmer for questions you might have.  We call him Mr. Information.  He has lots of info on his web site.
My friend and Vet Advocat got with his SO.  He copied and pasted what you wrote...Here is the VSO's reply: WHAT THE _____________ ?  This one's even too far out there for me to even consider.................  I did NOT laugh.   By the way, I was born at night, just not LAST night. She just needs to get him a lawyer......

So get a lawyer for your brother.  Look on that site I sent last..it has a list of lawyers.  Keep us posted on your brother.
Thank you again.  I have kind of thought it may take the lawyer route and so will proceed. I will keep you posted.  Take care.
There may well be a connection. The ships logs and maintenance protocols are all preserved in the national archives. During my period of active duty we had numerous exposures to agents that are now considered extremely toxic.  People were very casual back then.