Military Health Issues Community
heart palpitations and fatigue

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

heart palpitations and fatigue

im a Marine and i have a few issues i need some help with.

im 25 and enlisted in the Marine Corps last year. Ive always had a problem with fatigue while running. even as far back as high school soccer. i had a Portuguese coach who ran us ragged but the best 2 mile time i could get was still over 16 mins. now a days, it doesn't seem to matter how much extra i run, what i eat, or how much sleep i get. while it does help some, after a week long field op or something where i cant pt for a week or 2, im right back where i started so in the end it all that hard work amounts to little. i constantly fall out of runs within the first 2 miles regardless of the pace and it can be pretty embarrassing. keep in mind im not over weight im 5'5 approx 150lbs

while running i often experience sharp, sometimes intense chest pain, and always extreme fatigue. ive been to medical and cardiology at the naval clinic and they found that i have heart palpitations (PAC's) they said it wasnt anything to worry about and sent me back to my section with even more questions they couldn't answer. the advice i got was "try different breathing techniques"

ive been running for a long time that wasnt exactly advice that i havent already heard. ive been accused of "being lazy" and not "putting out" and i cant really say anything in my defense because it all just sounds like excuses so i just bite my lip. im just at a loss and have nowhere to turn.

anybody have any avenues i can try approaching or does this sound like anything that you have heard before or does anyone even have this problem? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance,
Jason
Sounds like you have the anemia that's hard to find.  The kind that is referenced in 'gulf war syndrome' or Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome.  Part of the definition is that doctors do not know what the fatigue is.

Besides rapid heart beat and shortness of breath do you also have 'the chills?'

Do you have an abnormal body temp?  high or low?
Abnormal blood sugar?  (That IS one thing easy for doctors to find)
Abnormal blood pressure?

This anemia is very serious.  I'll send you more info

You can easily be exposed in many household cleaning products.
Butyl or 2-butoxyethanol does not have to be disclosed, and often is not
We need new laws

Exposure looks like 'the flu' but can be as simple as a cough, a rash, 'the sniffles' farting, diarrhea ... moisture under one's nose (loosening of the sinuses)

Do you have headaches?  Do  you have any short term memory loss?

I am concerned for my grandson who is very sensitive to this ... so he at age 2.5 is maxed out on this chemical ... and when a runny nose starts his mom should immediately ask .... what have I been cleaning with ...?   Where have I taken this little one?  ... who has come over?

WHAT WAS DIFFERENT... than before the sniffles started?

Give the doctors a clue and ask them to ask the lab tech to LOOK at the RED Blood cells and tell them everything about them that they can.

I would get doctor's orders NOT to run.  One vet had serious fatigue issues and was trying out for another civilian job in the Sherrif's office of which part of it was strenuous excercise.  He had shortness of breath and ended being taken to the ER.  He died.  I suspect he was dealing with autoimmune hemolytic anemia and that he expended all his available oxygen during exercise, and the oxygen could not be replenished quickly enough ... and he died.  This was Jan 18 in El Paso, TX  Cesar Arreola became dizzy, light headed with shortness of breath. He was 37 when he died.
The best thing you can do is to keep track of all of your symptoms and keep going back to the Dr when your symptoms (especially the chest pain) flares up.
i appreciate the advice and ill look into CFIDS.

i have experienced the chills but usually in the hotter months. i dont have anything abnormal. im usually healthy and very rarely get sick or bed ridden for anything in the course of the year. i dont have much in the way of those symptoms mentioned but atleast one of my nostrils has some degree of blockage just about all year but i never saw that as anything abnormal. its funny you mention short term memory loss. i always forget to do little things my wife asks me to do. sometimes when word is getting passed ill even forget what time, place, or uniform they say to us even though i just heard them say it and was paying attention.

i always thought of that as me just not paying attention. back in high school they tried diagnosing me with ADHD but i just didnt take any meds they gave me graduated anyway. i figured the memory loss or inability to retain that information i just received was because i wasnt listening.

im nervous to go back to medical about this because they are going to think im trying to get out of the deployment in April. health and family come first i guess. what good will i be if i cant carry my own weight.

ill keep you all posted if you are interested.

thanks again
Jason
i began to think more about whats  happening to me when i run. usually extreme fatigue. what would cause this. there are people who exercise less then i do, some who are overweight and older then me but they stay in most runs just fine.

perhaps my body has an inability to retain oxygen during workouts. when i used to lift i would tire pretty quickly. oddly enough within 15-30 minutes id feel fine again. i obviously wasnt going to wait 15 minutes between sets so i quit lifting after 8 months of limited improvement.

im beginning to think i might have some type of disorder that prevents me from replenishing my blood with oxygen. if anyone has any ideas or if this sounds familiar id appreciate the help.

thanks in advance
Jason
This is something you would want to bring up with your Doc.  Maybe you can get a referral to a lung specialist or go back to the Cardio doc as well.
the proof that this fatigue is something butyl or 2-butoxyethanol would cause ... is the anemia that's hard to find in CFIDS, CFS, FM

Doctors would be looking for autoimmune hemolytic anemia or immune mediated hemolytic anemia, if so.

I found a good article on this once and it said if other indicators were there to SKIP the Coomb's test as it can give a false negative or a false positivie.

I strongly suspect it is there for more people than is realized, but somehow they have to have an interest in the wide variety of Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome symptoms and LOOK at the Red blood cells plus a variety of autoimmune issues.

I notice that when there is too much exposure to such chemicals for kids after carpet cleaning ... that gamma globulin seems to help them.   I heard from a Korean Vet that the troops there were given massive shots of this prior to starting there service there ... so ask your doctor/s about this,too
Well, if you want to stay in the corp you could ask for a profile, and try to get into an MOS that doesn't require daily runs. It doesn't sound like it's going to go away.