Military Health Issues Community
unfit for duty

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

unfit for duty

I am about to meet a review board. If I am found unfit; how can I make sure I am compensated for service connected injuries?.
I was enlisted in National Guard 1991-1992. I was discharged for my bad feet. I was on delayed entry for almost a year before I went to the base for basic training, but still attended my monthly meetings. When I got to the base and went through the medical checkup again is when they discharged me. I was considered active for 11mo25days. I couldn't get any VA help because I was not in for at least 1yr. Missed it by 5 days. Then it was called Uncharachterized Discharge. I'm not sure the rules now, but make sure you've been in for at least 1 year. Also, if it was something wrong with you before you enlisted, they're probably not going to consider it service connected. If something was wrong with you, but your service duties AGGRAVATED that problem, then I believe you're good to go. Also, of course, if the problem for sure was caused by service (got shot, broke leg, mental breakdown etc.) then you're for sure good!
if you have any problems try contacting a service officer :)
First of all, you need to insure you have copies of all your medical records before leaving active duty, as well as line-of-duty investigations.

The VA has an evaluation process that involves a "round-robin" with various specialists. When you apply for benefits make sure you have a packet of witness statements of injuries and all medical records. They will make a determination, which can then be appealed if you are not satisfied.