Military Health Issues Community
va compensation

This is an un-mediated community for discussions relating to health issues of soldiers who served or are serving in the military. Topics include, but are not limited to Amputation, Anxiety, Back and Spinal Injuries, Benefits, Burns, Biological and Chemical Exposure, Bone Injuries, Depression, Disabled Vets, Gastrointestinal Injuries, Head Injuries, Health Insurance, Infections, Infectious Diseases, Mental Health Issues, Post Traumatic Shock Disorder (PTSD), Resources for Vets, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), Vaccines, Wounds-Other

va compensation

I am a viet vet and i am being evaluated for ptsd. I have been experiencing most of the symptoms since i left in 1970. what are my chances of being compensated sinc its been many years since i left vietnam.
THANK YOU LARRY ~ WELCOME HOME!!! Okay, sorry about the 'yelling' there, but that was very important! More important than anything else I could say.

The thing to remember is that Any Time you See Any Doctor, speak only about and directly to your medical symptoms and conditions. Exaggerate them ALL as if it is your worst possible day/night in the worst possible conditions. That is the only way they are going to know. When the nurse comes in (before the doctor) then later the doctor, speak directly only to the purpose of, and cause for, your visit or exam; do not waver on this.

The doctors and nurses write down everything you say, so don't talk about the weather or your drive to the VA. You want to make then aware of your worst possible symptoms and the most difficult conditions, period.

But I do have another opinion that may serve you well in your eval. I'm thinking that you haven't had your compensation and pension exam for service connect yet?
First off ~ I hope you have a dedicated, thorough, and accurate service officer. The burden of "proof of service" is no longer on the Veteran, the VA knows which units, etc. served in country. Any Veteran that even touched a toe on a dock in Cam Ranh Bay loading and un-loading, or touched a leaf on a tree (in country) while on patrol, is elegible for agent orange related service connect. The only caveat being that

the Veteran has to offer the contact or in-country information,

which ties me in to offering more advice... Any Veteran that served active duty combat is also eligible for PTSD service connect. Some of the laws have changed in the last 8 years or so to serve the Veteran; believe it or not. One was the burden of proof of active duty in-country service. The other is called concurrent receipt. I offer this information simply because I love you all and you deserve to know ~ you've all earned it!!!
Veterans that have retired and taken a pension can now also recieve their service connected pension. They no longer take the one that pays more and omit the other.
You've earned it, you've worked hard for it ~ accept it and enjoy anything it can provide for you in your life.

Okay, that's enough out of me; off of my soap box, for now. I've known so many Nam Vets over the years that may have no idea of what they are eligible for because they have been treated like **** for decades and don't want to come in for treatment or services to an institution that has betrayed them repeatedly. It's an incredible catch .22
So it is with a wish for better service to all Veterans that I share with you ~
That was one heck of a post you made ,thank you for them and all of us ,we need more of this Soap Box is a good thing ......we have been too quiet for too long we are not a Nation of Cowards....
the c&p is with a psyc. ...........iam 50%service connected PTSD
Hi...Welcome & Thanks for Your Service,
  Do you have a copy of your SMRs? (service medical records?)  If not, you need them...ASAP.  Did you have a combat MOS while in vietnam?  This will help your claim.  Continually seeking treatment for PTSD is paramount.
  What stage of applying are you at....as there are some very important tips prior to going for a C&P exam.
  It's never too late to file...will it be hard to prove?  Not going to lie...yes.  You are going to have your work cut out for you; but it could be hard work well worth it.