Mirena IUD User Group
Please RESEARCH entirely before getting Mirena!
About This Group:

Users that recently got it and have had it for a while. Users that use to have it and got it removed are welcome to join as well. I'd like to have a group where everyone can share their input. **ADVICE, QUESTIONS, THOUGHTS, CONCERNS**

Founded by chiquita22gallo on June 14, 2011
12 members

I am 29 yrs old and have always had an unpredictable menstrual cycle (normal for me to go months without getting my period).  I have a 3 yr old and 9 mo old and was pleased to have my doctor suggest a contraception option that would be good for 5 yrs. My doctor said the majority of her patients really like Mirena IUD, however there is about one in ten that absolutely HATE it. I really wish I would have researched it more thoroughly before going through with my decision to get it. I had Mirena placed on Aug. 7th, 2012.  It was never a perk to me to "have lighter periods or no period at all" as I normally didn't get monthly periods.  I was more intrigued with the 5 yr contraception and allowing my husband to have a more satisfying sex life (i.e. no condoms).  Let me begin with my initial appointment..the insertion was very painful; I cramped and nearly passed out several times (even walking out of the clinic and when I arrived home). Luckily, the light-headedness went away within an hour.  The bleeding and cramping, however, did not.  I cramped on and off which was bearable, but nobody warned me about the bleeding (which was anything but bearable).  I bled EVERY DAY NONSTOP, and not just "spotting" like they tell you...it was a moderate flow period for nearly a month.  After reading thousands of women who were struggling with the same problem, I was not about to wait and see if I would stop bleeding, nor was I willing to risk bacterial infections and painful ovarian cysts or heaven forbid risk my life or a miscarriage if I did get pregnant (which is possible).  I could not believe how many women dealt with daily bleeding (period-like not "spotting") for months to even years on end, and refused to have sex because of it!! I guess if you aren't having sex, you won't get pregnant! But seriously, how fair is that to your significant other to cut them off from sex all together? Yet, how romantic is it to having extremely bloody, messy sex all time?  I HATED this IUD and regret the day I got it.  I would not recommend it to any woman, especially a woman who has hormone levels/cycles similar to mine.  Every woman is different, but please do your research before making a decision that you might regret (the only good thing is it can be removed at any time).  I got mine removed on August 28, 2012.  Now I'm just waiting and praying the bleeding will cease soon!!! Good luck ladies!!! Hope this helps :)
Brittanycprice1 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 09
lilbenitezfam joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 18
jlf826 joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 18