Miscarriages Community
After D&C I'm in pain

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

After D&C I'm in pain

I had a missed miscarriage on Monday,  9wks, had a d&c on Wednesday. I was fine the first two days, mild cramping, but today on the third day I woke up early feeling like I'm having contractions every five minutes. I barley started bleeding a little while ago. My doctor said I would cramp, but I didn't think she meant like this this, is this normal?
I would suggest that you get yourself to hospital to be check out.

See info below:

Dilatation and curettage (D&C) is usually a safe and simple procedure, and associated complications are rare.

Possible complications are outlined below.

Infection

Despite the best efforts of medical staff, infection is always a risk after a surgical procedure. However, the risk of an infection developing following D&C is low.

Symptoms of a post-operative infection may include:

a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above
    tummy pain
    a foul-smelling vaginal discharge

Seek medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms. Most infections can be cured with antibiotics.
Heavy bleeding

Heavy bleeding is a rare complication of D&C. It can occur if a surgical instrument injures the wall of the womb, or if an undetected fibroid (a non-cancerous growth) is cut during the procedure.

As with infection, the risk of an instrument injuring the wall of the womb is low. Contact hospital staff if bleeding after the operation remains heavy and does not reduce over the course of the first week.

When to contact your health care provider:

Most women experience few complications after a D&C procedure, but you should be aware of things that could signal a possible problem. Your health care provider should give you specific instructions on what you should expect, but you should contact them as soon as possible if you experience:

Dizziness or fainting
    Prolonged bleeding (over 2 weeks)
    Prolonged cramping (over 2 weeks)
    Bleeding more than a menstrual period, or filling more than a pad an hour
    Severe or increased pain
    Fever over 100.4 °F or chills
    Foul smelling discharge

Just would like to say that am sorry about ur loss. I had faced 2 miscarriages and 2 D&C operations last year. Wishing u a speedy recovery and happiness for the future x
Thank you for all that information.  I just got out of the ER Dr. said I had a incomplete d&c so now I have to wait for clots to pass on its own, & the thing is I'm not really even bleeding, that's just crazy. If nothing comes out then I will have another d&c hopefully it will come before Monday, that's seven I see the doctor again. Thank you so much for your kind words.
If the situation does not improve, go back and tell them that your still having the bad pains, and u strongly believe you have retained products. Advise them that u want a vaginal Ultrasound done to check this, beause if this becomes infected, then that's a form of negligence on their side.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Miscarriage/Pages/Treatment.aspx