Miscarriages Community
Check up after D&C

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Check up after D&C

I'm curious of the extent of other people's first check up after a D&C.  I went to my family doctor instead of my midwife after 3 weeks had passed.  He asked me questions and checked my blood for iron and thyroid but no hormones or HCG.  Should you always have an internal exam and your HCG checked?  I was 18 weeks pregnant when it happened so I was thinking he should have done more follow up but maybe if you are feeling fine they just let it be?  For others with a late miscarriage and D&C, what was your experience?
I'm sorry for your loss. It's common and pretty routine to have your hcg checked and a internal. However they may have you come back at a future date. Did you req to have them done? I would give a call and see if you can have them both done just to check and make sure everything is ok. I haven't experienced not having them done after my d and c and d  and e,  but every dr is different and has different reasons for doing things. Good luck and best wishes to you!

AP
I had a Dand C 5 weeks ago and still havnt been able to get an appt with my DR. it took % days to get my D and C as he was to busy to see new paitents..
Im still waiting on them to ring back with an appt and as yet still havnt had AF.
So i cant help you sorry.
What did they do with the first appt.
My doc did a blood test but not for HCG and no internal exam. He said as long as I wasn't having trouble I would be fine. I thought it was odd too. If I don't get a BFP soon I'm gonna request at least an US.
I don't understand why we have to be the ones to ask for the follow up work!  Like I wanted just to tell my story again!  Why call me back in a month for a second check up only to tell me that we should wait longer eventhough I have been spotting for 2 months and not even look at my insides to see if there has been damage?  I think I'm dealing with an idiot.
I would definatly go in for a check.  They tend to do a ultrasound to make sure that your uterus is back to normal and no tissue is remaining.  Also, I remember something about scartissue after a D&C and checking to make sure there is no damage.  I didn't have a D&C with my most recent miscarriage and I've never made it out of the first trimester but they checked my levels to make sure they were going down right and also did an exam and an ultrasound.  

It does not make since why we have to request so much...you think that doctors would be looking for our best interest..but you get doctors that just don't want to deal with us.
I had a check at 3 weeks and then at 6.  He gave me general bloodwork at the first appt only because I asked and orderd an ultrasound at the second but again only because I asked.  I had symptoms and was distressed so I think a more sensitive doctor would have done something to make me feel like he was being thorough.  Especially when he told me that he had never seen my symptoms in his practice before!
It might have been best to go see an ob or a midwife.  You might get more answers or a better exam on everything.  I know here where I live a family doctor won't even see you for a common cold if you are pregnant.  I got really sick when I was pregnant time before last and I had the hardest time finding a doctor to treat me when it was the baby making me sick.  

Try and see an OB or Midwife it never hurts to be safe.  They should give you an exam and make sure everything is back the way it should be...if something is wrong then it could allow this to happen again in the future.  Also, a ob/midwife can run more test that a family doctor may not think about runing to insure everything is okay.
i had an internal and an u/s after an 8 week pregnancy loss. NO HCG checked tho. I have heard a lot of women just checked their own HCG by using home pregnancy tests. I wish i had done this because i still have not had a period 8 weeks later so i'm wondering if it just took a lot longer for my HCG levels to go down. I'm starting to freak out. My dr told me i should have had a period at 4 weeks post D&C but when i told him, i didn't, he said my body was probably stressed out from everything and that was what was delaying things. UGH!

you should try to see an OB if you can - they will know more than an internist and will give you a proper check up.