Miscarriages Community
Could a polyp cause miscarriage

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Could a polyp cause miscarriage

I'm new so please bear with me. I am 31 and recently miscarried. It was my first pregnancy and my partner and I got pregnant first month of ttc. I was over the moon but at 6 1/2 weeks I started bleeding and a scan confirmed my pregnancy was failing - they said that the size of what they saw on screen did not match up to 6 1/2 weeks and so they said that the pregnancy failed soon after implantation but it took over 2 weeks for my body to expel it. My hcg levels are back to normal and I only bled for 7 days and passed some clots and had mild to moderate cramps on day 2 of bleeding. It was basically like a heavy period. today, (1 week after stopped bleeding) i had a scan and there was something in my uterus that they said was either remains from pregnancy or looked more like a polyp. I think it is a polyp cause had scan done month b4 got pregnant due to discomfort caused by copper coil. Coil had slipped out of place and was removed. they saw a "7mm opacity" on my endometrium which gyn said cud be either a polyp or blood clot caused from the coil. i was due to have another scan to confirm but got pregnant and so cancelled scan. then had to have scan due to miscarriage and again they have found something that cannot be easily diagnosed. i have to wait till I have normal period and have re-scan to see if gone or not. if not gone then have to see a gynaecologist again to see whether it is definitely a polyp and if removal is necessary.

I'm so upset and frustrated cause I am now worrying if polyp was cause of miscarriage. Plus I'm frustrated because now gotta wait to have scan and/or see gyn which means gotta postpone ttc. the thought of ttc was the only thing that has kept me strong thru recent miscarriage and this waiting game and gamble is making situation worse as i am very anxious person.

i was hoping you could give me any advice or tell me about similar situations regarding polyps and pregnancy. there is so much contradictory advice regarding whether polyps cause miscarriages or not. has anyone given birth even though they had polyp?

any advice would be most appreciated.

many thanks and good luck to all those ttc x
I had a polyp in my uterus when I was having difficulty getting pregnant.  My re recommended removal.  We did that(among other things long story) and I was able to get pg soon after.  I don't know if it would cause a m/c.  Im sorry for your loss.
Thanks.
Really pleased to hear about your success.
Do you mind me asking what procedure you had to remove polyp and how long after polyp removal did it take for your uterus to heal? If the gyn says its best to have it removed then I will but I'm so frustrated because it will postpone ttc even longer and the thought of ttc has been the only thing keeping me strong
Thanks.
I had laparoscopic surgery to remove it and we were able to try 2 weeks after.  I was really sore for 5 days after but soreness went away quickly.  
I highly doubt it was the cause.  I suppose it is possible, but not likely.  Sadly so many women will experience at least one miscarriage and the majority of the time it's just because something did not come together properly at time of conception.  It's just one of those sad things.  Stats believe 1 in 3 pregnancies have this happen.  Now, it's good it's being checked out and will be removed if necessary.

I know you want answers.  I think most of us that go through this do as it can help to reassure it won't happen again.  Good news is that very few women will have 2 losses in a row.  The vast majority of us that go through this go on to have healthy pregnancies the next time.