Miscarriages Community
Did I just have a Chemical Pregnancy?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Did I just have a Chemical Pregnancy?

Hello! Recently, I thought I was pregnant as of two weeks ago. The time that was estimated of conception was about four weeks before I took my HPT. Since the HPT was positive, I scheduled an appointment for today, so I should be about 6 - 7 weeks. (Yes, I'm sure of this. We did calculations and checked our calculations three times to be sure.) After doing an ultrasound/sonogram and a vaginal, not even a hint of a fetus was shown. Then, I took TWO pregnancy tests at the doctor's office, and they both came up Negative! Not even a faint line! I did miss my period, however I haven't had any signs of early pregnancy. I'm so confused right now, I don't know if I'm pregnant or not! This will be my first pregnancy, any idea if this is a Chemical Pregnancy or not? (I do not take any medications, therefore I haven't had the hormone in my body.) To be honest, I'll be happy being either pregnant or not. I want the most reasonable explanation. Thank you!
ive had that done to me a few times, its called your body is trying to get pregnant but its taking... my dr told me that one.. i was shocked too
What do you mean "taking"? Like basically I am pregnant just took at while? Lol.
With a chemical pregnancy, you would have bled.  A chemical is when you get pregnant, but then lose the pregnancy very early, usually at the time of expected period, or shortly thereafter. But you'd bleed like a normal period, usually.  You didn't mention any bleeding. I could be wrong, but really I've never heard of a chemical where there wasn't some bleeding.

Did the doctor's office do blood work, or did they just do urine tests?  I've read that some women don't show positive on a urine hpt until futher along in their pregnancy.  I think it's rare, but it does happen.  A blood test would be more definitive.  Tho, honestly, at 6 or 7 weeks, there should be somehtig on the scan if you were pregnant, at least a sac.

They didn't do Blood Tests, therefore tomorrrow
I'm going to the local MEA to get a blood test done. I was reading where some females have experienced a Chemical Pregnancy but didn't start bleeding until later on after they found out they had one.
generally as scout9601 has said, a chemical pregnacy is considered just that, when a pregnancy is picked up by a hpt, before/on/around the time your period is due then you start your period as normal or a couple of days later, before the sensitive hpt were around you would never have known that you were pregnant, maybe just thought your cycle was off by a couple of days, it usually envolves bleeding like your usual period, sometimes it can be abit heavier, as scout has said, by the 6-7 wk mark something should have been visable on the u/s, maybe you ovulated abit later, or maybe you didnt ovulate at all that cycle, hence the late/no show period?
I'm thinking a late ovulation could only be the possible explanation now. However, if I haven't ovulated, does that mean I'm not pregnant? Is there even a possibility to actually have a HPT come out positive without ovulation? I thought there was no way anybody could become pregnant without ovulating first, however maybe the egg did attach itself to the uterus.
Didn't*
you need to ovulate to get pregnant as this is the term for the body releasing the egg, a post pregnancy test can only be positive if the egg has implanted then your body starts to produce hcg to keep the pregnancy viable, so sometimes you can get a positive on a pregnancy test when your starting early menopause or some types of cancer can give a positive hcg reading on a pregnancy test, I'm not saying that this is the case for you, but if pregnancy is ruled out then these other options should also be ruled out as well
also as the pregnancy tests cam out neg at your doctors, this would probably rule out those other options, maybe you had a wonky test, I would go back to your doctors if your perios (periods) still hasnt arrived and ask for you hcg levels to be checked thru a blood test
Thank you and everyone else for your quick responses. I'm getting a blood test ASAP now, seeing as this is very very strange. I really do appreciate all your informative answers. :) Well see in the next couple of days if I am or not.
My situation I think I had a chemical pregnancy cause I was exactly a week late and I took three pregnancy test and they all said positive then the next day I woke up and it was like I started my period and I bled for 6 days, and it was pretty heavy and dark red and some small blood clots an today which is around 2 weeks after the bleeding and I got 2 negative tests, but my question is do I have to go to the doctor and get cleaned out and should there have been a sac come out? I'm confused.