Miscarriages Community
Do hospitals test miscarried fetus?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Do hospitals test miscarried fetus?

My girlfriend was supposedly 9 weeks pregnant and miscarried. She said the hospital told her the baby had been dead for a week & a half and had downs syndrome? Is this believable or even possible?
I find it suspicious.  I've had 2 m/cs and the hospital does not do testing unless your dr requests it.  And almost unheard of if its ur first m/c.  If there was testing there should be a pathology report, ask to see it, if she can't produce it then I would say there'd ur answer.  Good luck.
It is quite possible that a pregnancy would fade and the embryo not come out for a while, in my case it took four weeks from fetal demise (which I knew about from ultrasound evidence, no heartbeat).  I do not know whether testing can be done at 9 weeks for Downs, but perhaps it is a simple blood or tissue test.  It does seem a bit surprising that they would test for Downs but maybe there is simply a panel of tests that is done.  
They didnt do any testing on my miscarriage
They only did tissue samples for me on my 2 later losses, both were around 18 weeks.  
Thank you so much for the comments.  I just find it hard to believe that a hospital randomly tested for something like that. Or if they did that they would have told her that right then and there. Wouldn't it take time to even get test results like that back?  Also, she has no personal health insurance which made it even more suspicious to me.
It would take several weeks for pathology to come back and no insurance? Sounds like bs to me.  Good luck.