Miscarriages Community
Heavy Bleeding, Long Time, Miscarriage

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Heavy Bleeding, Long Time, Miscarriage

I started bleeding real lightly 4 weeks ago. I thought it was a period. I have always been really irregular, having my period once every 4-5 months. I went to the doctor Friday and they told me I was pregnant. It was either early stage or I was having a miscarriage. I had a miscarriage.I don't know when, and the doctor said it could have been any time in the last few weeks. However, I am still bleeding as bad as, if not worse than before. I just wanted to know how long a woman should bleed after a miscarriage before getting worried? I am also cramping worse now than before, and I am worried about that as well. Tylenol does nothing for it. Any help would be greatly apreciated. We are still in shock. We did not even know we were pregnant. Thank you.

Lisa
I miscarried in early November.  I was still bleeding On Christmas day.  SOme days it was spotting and some I was pouring blood.  I called the doc a lot and was assured a miscarriage  natural)  can last a long time
good luck
Once I had the ultrasound that confirmed my baby was gone, the rest lasted a week. Heavy bleeding one day, clots, cramps, and then tapering off. I wonder, how far along were you? If you were several weeks you may need an ultrasound to make sure your MC is complete. Tissue can be left inside and infection can occur. I guess it's different for everyone, but if it goes on too long, you might ask for a D&C to clean your uterus out. Good luck, and I'm sorry.

April

If it continues I would call the doctor back   sometimes a D&C is required
Sorry for your loss, Many of us here have experienced losing a baby by miscarriage it is devastating.
My first we lost at 12 weeks but I do have three wonderful children and in time Im sure you will to.
Best wishes
hello, thanks for the postings.  They helped today.  I had a miscarriage yesturday and was looking at the internet for anything to occupy me.  My cramps are terrible today.  I was only 6-weeks, but this is still very depression for me and my husband who doesnt seem to know what to say.  He just looks sad.  Anyway, I am also dizzy as hell.  Does anyone know how long it will take for the pregancy symptoms to fade?  My chest still hurts and I feel like I am holding tons of water=not pleasant.  Thanks for the postings again.   -TINA
I had a m/c just this past may...i went to the ob/gyn the day after and i had a clot stuck in the cervix which was causing prolonged cramping and bleeding (per the dr)....after she scraped this out my bleeding slowed down as did the cramps...I never had the d and c....:)
I had 2 vaginal sg's done, and neither showed anything in my womb. I did not even know I was pregnent, so I have no idea how far along I was. Thank you for all of your support and help. I am sorry for your losses as well. I am trying not to think about it....I guess we are still in shock. Anyway, thank you.
I had the same thing happen i had my period every 3 months i didnt know i was pregnant until i went to the hospital i was bleeding for a few days but one night i had horrible cramps and they got worst has the hours went and by 5 am i went to the hospital they said i was about 12 weeks they thought I knew i was but i had no clue i wanted a baby but being irreg almost makes you feel they it wouldnt be that easy for me.  I went to the bathroom and thats when i pasted the baby in the waiting room at the emergency and ran out and told the nurse and she took it from the tolit and ask me to sit just for a little more very kindly the cramps didnt stop and the bleeding the doctor gave me an ultrasound and said i still had tissue and i would keep bleeding till it came out and i would be able to pass it since my cervix was closing so i got the D&C shorted but since i was in pain they put me to sleep and i woke in a recovery roo w when it was over.
First I want to thank all of you for posting your unfortunate experiences.  All of your comments made me feel less isolated and more normal!

I miscarried on Aug 26-05 with the assistance of Misoprostol.  I was 6 weeks and 2 days along.  My OBG said I was passively M/C and it could take months to happen on its own!  The pills caused me to go into labor and I had an aggressive M/C with my husband at my side.  

Now it is 19 days later and I am still bleeding.  I have had an intravaginal U/S and there is not any attached tissue, and I have had my HcG levels tested weekly.  I went from 7500-wk1 to 650-wk2 to 60-wk 3 to 5 today!  Technically....I have "normal" non-pregnant levels...yet I continue to bleed!  I understand the bleeding can go on, and I could even be menstruating......but ENOUGH already!  Has anyone else experienced the never ending bleed????

Thanks again for you comments!  It is hard to believe how common this is and how no one talks about it!

I have been bleeding since 8/21. I have had 2 ultrasounds which showed no baby.  Hcg level has gone done and very low hormone level.  I just started taking the methergine today because I am passing very large clots.  now my problem comes in here.  After last ultrasound, the bleeding had almost stopped.  My husband and I had intercourse and the bleeding has started again.  What does all this mean?
I am sorry to hear your bleeding has started again.  I cannot imagine how FRUSTRATING that is!  Could it be your period?  Have you talked to your OBG?  From everything I have read, it is normal for bleeding to start and stop as some women take longer to resume a schedule.  I know you said your HcG had dropped....but was it less than 5?  Was the U/S conclusive for no tissue as well as fetus?

I had continued to bleed from August 26 to September 21, but I am certain I menstruated from September 15-21.  The bleeding changed dramatically.  Has yours changed?

You probably have nothing to worry about!  I completely understand your frustration as I have certain fears around resuming intercourse.....I'm afraid to start bleeding again!

Much luck to you....and my personal advice would be to continue your passionate relations with your partner.  I think the sooner we all go back to our lives....the sooner our bodies will catch up!
Thanks for the reply.  Sorry about your loss as well.  I know what you are going through.  When you say your bleeding changed, how did it?  I spoke to my midwife yesterday and she wants me to come in next week for a possible D&C.  I really don't want to have it done, but I want the bleeding to subside.  Next Friday is our anniversary and I would like to feel better by then.  This was not a planned pregnancy and I have two beautiful healthy children, however I would really like one more.  Oh well if it's meant to be it will happen.  

Good luck to you as well
Happy Early Anniversary!  

My bleeding changed from a tapering pink/brown spotting to a full out red, heavy menstrual-like bleed.  That lasted for 6 days and I have not bled since.  (It's only been 3 days....but a huge victory after bleeding for a month!)

A quick way to ensure you have passed all of the tissue is to have your HcG levels retested before you see your midwife.  If it is <5 than you can be certain there is no hormone producing tissue in your uterus.  If it is more, than your midwife will likely recommend a D&C.  I did not have to have one, but I have a good friend who did, and she had no trouble afterwards.

I hope you soon get all of this resolved!  I'm sorry you have to go through this when you should be celebrating your family!

Take care
I've never posted a message like this before. But, I went to the er on July 29, and had a miscarriage. We tried again 3 weeks ago, and thought we got a positive test result back. But I started bleeding again last night. Just light brown spotting, and then this morning menstrual-like cramps and dark red blood, a little clotty. Does anyone think this could be another miscarriage, or did I just want that test to be positive? My husband is on his way home from a hunting trip, and this has been so hard for me.
Hello KristenC...I am very sorry for your loss and current situation.  

Are you certain that you had a complete miscarriage in July?  Could your recent positive test be a result of HcG producing tissue still in your uterus from July? Had you had a D & C?  Sorry for all of the questions, I just hope you are not having to go through another miscarriage........it is a draining experience and my thoughts are with you!  Take care.
I was in a car accident yesterday, and walked away with only chest pain. Late last night I had cramps so bad I was on the floor. 3 days ago my home pregnancy test was posotive. Im bleeding very heavy. I had not yet told my husband of our soon to be. Im devastated, I dont know what to do and I dont know how to tell him. I hate doctors and would also like to know if I have to be seen, or if I can cope with just loving support. All advice is appreciated.
As far as being seen by a doctor, if your bleeding stops than you can likely not bother with the MD.  However, if your bleeding continues, you should definitely be followed by a physician as you may require a D & C to complete the miscarriage.  By the sounds of it, you were pretty early in the pregnancy, so hopefully you completed the loss.

I know how it feels to miscarry, and I am very sorry for your loss.
No matter what you need to be seen by the doctor!

They need to test your hcg levels (the pg hormone) to determine that the pg was totally expelled.  If you don't get confirmation that your hcg levels have returned to zero then you risk serious serious infection.

Good luck and I'm very sorry for your loss.
I am about six weeks pregnant, about three days ago I started bleeding heavy. I went to my doctor and he gave me an ultrasound and the sac was still there. He told me many women bleed throughout the early stages of pregnancy, and although I should be concerned it might not be anything. I am going back on Wednesday. I know this sounds pessimistic but I know there is something wrong. I have cramping and such bad clotting, also my breasts were really sore until yesterday and now do not hurt at all. I am so depressed right now but am trying to be positive for others sake. I can not believe someone could bleed so heavy and there not be a problem! Has anyone experienced this and not miscarried?
hello im sorry to hear about your losses i am going through it also its hard to believe that something like this could happen its really a sad time i just have a few questions i am new here so i have never posted a comment or question. 1. how long do you blood while having a miscarriage how do u know its over and how long should it be before i start my period again i am sorry once again but thanks for all the nice people out there that can help me through this thanks again    tina
I'm wondering if anyone is feeling the way I am???????

I've been trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years now, and for the past 9 months I've been seeing a fertility doctor.
In August for the first time I became pregnant only to misscarry 6 weeks later.
I've been bleeing for over 5 weeks now, I'm depressed and it seems like everyone we know is having babies.  I find it hard not to envy them and just be happy they haven't had the trouble we have.
The bleeding is a constant reminder of what has happened and I'm not sure how to move on and feel  better about life.

Can anyone suggest anything?
Hi everyone.  This forum has really helped me.  I am currently playing the waiting game....  My husband and I have been 'inactively' trying to get pregnant for a few months--- just not playing it safe... but not really calculating any dates or anything.  We already have a two year old daughter and she is the light of our lives.  Well, about three weeks ago or so I took an early pregnancy test which came back positive.  In the following couple of weeks I took several more and was indeed pregnant.  However, late Thursday night (two nights ago) I spotted a little bit of brown.  Overnight nothing else happened and I thought it was ok.  However, mid morning yesterday I started bleeding more heavily and red in color.  The bleeding was not heavy enough to soak through a pad --- but heavy enough to see on a pad after an hour or so.  I went to the dr and they did an ultrasound and a blood test.  The ultrasound showed a small sac (too small to see the baby or anything) and the dr said that if this is a miscarriage she will not know until after a second blood test and probably a second ultrasound.  As of yesterday though everything seemed fine.  She said the bleeding could be implantation or old blood that just chose now to get out of my uterus.  She also said that if it is a miscarriage there is nothing that can be done about it... just happens.  Anyway as yesterday progressed and today has wore on the bleeding has increased and turned clotty and mucousy.  I am pretty sure in my heart this is a miscarriage.  I go back early Monday morning for a second blood test which will tell me later that day what is going on with the HCG levels.  I took a early response pregnancy test this morning and it was much fainter than it was before--- to me this indicates the HCG levels have dropped.  :(  

This is such an awful thing.  My first pregnancy was normal and completely uncomplicated.  My sister, mom, and paternal aunt have all had fertility problems in their late 20s-early 30s (endometriosis) --- I am only 26 but have alwyas felt like I should hurry up and have another baby or I will lose my fertility window.  This is awful... I know in my heart the baby is not there anymore--- but after seeing the little sac on the ultrasound--- this is way harder.  

To all who have shared--- thank you... this has gotten my through a stressful and depressing day.

Susan
I just found out I was miscarrying yesterday. Before that I had been bleeding for a week and my DR did 2 sonograms and said the baby was fine and had a normal heart beat and told me not to worry an=bout the bleeding. I knew something wasn't right. I had a miscarriage a few years ago and then 2 babys in between now and then. But this time I am bleeding really heavy and am very dizzy. Does anyone know if this is normal?
I started to miscarry 6 weeks after my first time getting pregnant. I didnt even know if I could get pregnant, am glad to know that I can, but still sad.
On Oct. 8 I started to bleed lightly, which two days later got heavier. I saw my dr. right away that next week and she said that I needed to come back in a week so she could re-examine me. I knew I was having a miscarriage and just wanted a D&C to get it over with quicker. Well, 12 days later I finally had one. The bleeding up until then was awful. Having the D&C really helped a lot. Two days later my Dr. said I could start taking my new pill Loestrin. Since then, in the past month, I have had my period twice and STILL keep spotting. Im wondering if it is a combination of the lower estrogen pill (which always makes me spot) and the miscarriage. I wonder just HOW long it will take me to get back to normal. I still have odd cramping on and off too, like a feeling of ovulating.
I feel for all you women out there in the same situation.
The D&C is a really easy procedure and you are out for it, so it isn't so bad. It really helped me feel like it was more "finalized". It is a very depressing reminder bleeding every day, especially if you take a long time to pass.
hey people i have read all your comments i was wondering if you could help.

i am 17 and have started bleeding about three weeks ago it started and then stoped a few days later, me and my partner had sex and then the bleeding started again, it has been going on for three weeks now my longest period has been two weeks, am i having a miscarriage? i don't know what to do really i have told my mum but if i have had a miscarriage what happens does it just stop one day or is there something you have to do? and how long does the bleeding go on for?

someone please help me
Hi Everyone.

I have a question. I was 6 weeks pregnant. Last Thursday I Started spotting brown until Sunday and then I started to bleed heavy and it is clotty and today ( Wed) I am still bleeding heavy. I went to the Drs on Monday and we both came to a conclusion that I was having a m/c. They wanted to monitor my HCG Levels to make sure that it was going down. On Friday it was 80, Monday it was 278 and Tuesday it was 351. I need to wait until tomorrow to see what level was from today. But if I had a m/c why are the HCGs going up?
Also I know that they are way too low to be in the normal range if I was still pregant, so if I did have a m/c can the tissue in the uterus increase the HCGs?

If my HCG increases more they are going to give me an ultrasound. I just wanted to know if anyone else had this experience.
Just a follow up.  I indeed miscarried.  My HCG levels were 1402 on Friday and only moved to 1600 on Monday.  I have been bleeding every since.  Doc says the bleeding could go on for a while.  Good luck to everyone.

hello everyone. Im sorry to hear about everyone misfortunes but i have a question of my own. Im 22 yrs old and ive been seeing this guy for about 5 months now. we always use protection except this one time in june. it is now the end of july and about a week and a half ago i was experiencing really bad abdomen pains and i went to the obgyn and she said it just might be an infection and she gave me antibiotics. i got home and i noticed i was bleeding. i kinda freaked because i thought i was pregnant but i got my period in the begining of july. it is now july 26th and ive been bleeding since july 16. when i went to the obgyn doc she just did an examination. no ultra sound. my co-worker suggested that i was pregnant and  i had a miscarriage. do you think i did?
Hi there. I am glad I found this forum because at least I am a little less alone in my miscarriage problems. I miscarried around the last week of june and as of today I am STILL bleeding. I am 33 and having been trying to get pregnant with my husband for 2 years now. I have irregular cycles and my obgyn had nothing to help me with. She just said I was probably under too much stress and that I was too overweight and so on and so on. Look I am a size 16-18 but that wasn't why I was having irregular cycles. Even when I was a size 5 I had occasional irregular cycles. She said she could only put be on birth control pills but if I wanted to get pregnant I needed to see a fertility specialist. Oh, great. I knew where that was going to go with the high costs and all the probing and pills. My aunt had gone through the same problem and never had a baby. I took matters into my own hands and did lots and lots of book buying, reading and internet research too. I started taking Vitex Agnus Castus in capsule form. I finally got pregnant and this is where I am now. I had a very very stressful event with a relative and I just know that got the ball rolling because that same week was when I started with light pink spotting. I was only maybe 6 or 7 weeks along and the following week the plumbing just started to burst and flood so to speak. Because I had no pain or any real cramps at all, I opted to not have a Dilation and Curretage. I know that a natural miscarriage really can take 3 or more months at times according to my research and other womens postings and I am proof as well. I am still taking the Vitex to keep it in my system. It was the only reason why I started to get a regular cycles 10 months ago and was able to ovulate. It really does work. I am also drinking Red Rasperry tea at 2 to 3 cups a day to help heal and tone my uterus. I also found something I wish I knew about when I first started spotting. It's called Dr.Christopher's False Unicorn root and Lobelia capsules. It's about 30 dollars a bottle and I started taking it 3 days ago at 2 capsules twice a day to help finish flushing out what's left inside unfortunately. If I had the herbal capsules 2 months ago I may have prevented the miscarriage alltogether or made it finish faster instead of what I am going through now. I am a strong believer in herbal remedies and alternative medicine because when I went the conventional medical way, I only got disappointment and an empty wallet. Do your own research. Find a naturopath or reputable herbalist in your local area if you want to consult with someone who isn't a tradiitional prescription pill peddling doctor. Best wishes. G.G.S.
I miscarried at 8weeks, early Oct 07 - after a heavy bleeding and was diagnosed with missed abortion without going through a D &C.  The bleeding carried on for about 2 weeks with intermittent spotting after and stopped completely for only about 4 days before I experienced more bleeding and stopped again over a week.. Then I got what I think is a new menstral cycle.. bled for a week and stopped for another, but on day 13 I started bleeding again... which I gathered is during the ovulation period...   the bleeding still continues and it's late Nov already!  I'm beginning to feel the bleeding will not stop and am worried that it will not resume the normal cycle of 28 days.  Is this natural?  Should I go for a D and C?/  
I am also going through a miscarriage at 12 weeks the baby died at 9 weeks and I have been bleeding for a week now on and off again.  I found this website to be pretty helpful.

http://www.pregnancyloss.info/recovery.htm
I miscarried twice. The first was 20 weeks. The Drs says it was an infection they could not identify as all tyh eblood results was normal. The waters just burst at home. The 2 years, after musch fear, I got pregnant again. Miscarried again at 18 weeks. Now they are saying it was an incopetent cervix. Throughout the 18 weeks I have asked them to look at myu cervix to which they stated it was long and closed. No concern! Now the second miscarriage happened again at home when I felt something moved and then a sack started to come down. I am so frustrated as I think they do not care. I am 41 and you just get the feeling the Drs dont care about women over 40. Anyone feel that way?
Luckily I didnt need a D&C as the U/S showed minimal tissue in both cases. Now I am bleeding for 10 days and still is..sometimes light.
Should I be worried?
I am so hurt I cannot begin to think straight.
Any answers?
I'm sorry to hear about your losses.

My situation isn't as severe, but I'll share it anyway. Sometime in 2000, I got pregnant for the first time. At ten weeks, my right fallopian tube ruptured, and I had to have emergency surgery. The baby was growing inside the tube, which no one knew. It was ectopic. The surgeon said that I could still get pregnant, but that it would be hard.
Seven months later, I got pregnant again, and i now have an amazing 6 1/2 year old son.

About two weeks ago, I miscarried. I had been trying with my husband for almost a year, since just before our wedding. I was worried from the moment that I found out about an ectopic, but I NEVER CONSIDERED a miscarriage.

I have already realized while writing this post that I'm doing it more for me than for anyone who may read it, although I hope it helps someone in some way.

I found out that I was pregnant on the night of my missed period-- I knew! I'm really regular, and it always comes during the day. At about 10 p.m. I took a test, and it was positive but BARELY! I stared at it for about five minutes, trying to be sure that I wasn't making up that second line. Took another one the next morning, and sure enough. Went in to the doctor the same morning for a blood test, and it was official. I was over joyed.
One week later, the bleeding began.
I'm gonna cut myself short because this is getting really long. Anyway, I sincerely hope that I get pregnant again, and have a healthy, wonderful baby. I hope the same for everyone else who reads this and wants that in their lives.
Sincerely-
Sam
P.S.

This is technically day 15 since the miscarriage bleeding started. I thought that I was finally done bleeding, but I went to the bathroom 30 minutes ago and out of no where it was back. I've read every post on this website and from what I gather, there is no "normal" timeframe to be done bleeding. I would keep in touch with your doctors office, but I personally feel at least a little bit better now after reading about all these other people who had bled for more than two weeks.
I need answers and have no idea how to find them. Please can anyone help??!!  I am Sorry for the losses that I have read of, from those who have posted here--I am hoping that I can find answers and hopfully, help.  I am 42, have a 18 month old son, and we were trying for a second child.  I took a " Clear blue easy" and was definately pregnant, that was tuesday april 8th 2008. Two days later I noticed brownish discharge and tried to take it easy--not panic.  By 4 am on april14th it had changed to heavy bleeding ,clots & cramping.  In the E.R. an U/S showed that there was no longer a pregnancy.They offered a D&C, but did not reccomend it, saying that it would "pass normally"   I got discharged with a 3-day supply of Methergine( which I did take) and a 4-day supply of Percocet.  So far, EVERY day since I have been consistently  bleeding-  EXCEPT- for three days.  These 3 days (including today) have had massive clots, bleeding gushes that flood down my legs, and cramping that requires the Percocet that I originally had not taken( but  now am very glad- that I have it to take!!!)  Can anyone tell me why I am still bleeding?? or when it might stop?? or even if this is halfway normal? I'm sorry this is so long. Please, Is it that I am still greiving? Is there anything I can take -or any excercises I can do??  Is there anything anyone knows of that can help?? Please all comments are welcome, Please, please, Please HELP.
Thank you all,                                                
CaNason
I miscarried Feb. 29. I've been to the emergency room, had ultrasounds, and had any remaining tissues vacuumed out.  It is now May 17th and I'm still having light bleeding. I have had two periods since the miscarriage, both being extremely heavy, about 12 days long. Then, bloody discharge comes back and never stops. What's the deal? I was 12 weeks along and this has happened 3 other times but on the others I stopped after 2 weeks or so. I have three healthy kids already. Has anyone bled for this long before? Does any have any ideas what is going on? I keep telling the nurse and she's not alarmed. I'm worried something more is wrong but no one will see me. Please, does anyone have insight for me?
There are tons of posts asking how long it goes on for...and very little that actually say when they returned to normal....has anyone returned to a normal cycle and if so how long?
Hi All,

I am sorry for the losses. I went to the ER July12th, 2008 and was diagnosed with Blighted ovum and it showed some tissue still remaining. I had started off with spotting and mild bleeding 3 days before. It appears the bleeding worsened after my ultrasound. Well, today July14th I have been having cramps that are worse than labor pains and are coming and going every 5 minutes. A few hours later after sitting in a hot tub trying to relieve the pain since aleve/tylonel wasn't heping..i started bleeding even heavier and having large clots and tissue constantly coming out. I had a big pad on for 20 minutes and it was soaked. I could tell when I was going to have a big clot come because I had an urgency to go sit on the toilet..not only take even after wiping and standing up blood was rushing down my leg. Now, I am on my second pad and I am worried about possible hemmorage because I have ran to the bathroom twice and big gigantic clots with a rush of blood keeps coming and will not stop. I was about 12 weeks and this is my second miscarriage. The one prior of this started with heavy bleeding and I had to have a D&C done. After the first one I only bled lightly for a few days. Right now the way I am bleeding can't possibly be normal since it states to return back to the ER or OB/GYN if you soak 3 pads in 3 hours..well 2 pads for me within an hour...Anyone with any help it would be gladly appreciated.
Hi an update I went to the ER and they had to suction out a number of huge clots which was causing me to bleed the way I was. By the time I arrive I had soaked 5 pads in 3 and half hours. I will still have bleeding and tissue passing but thank goodness it's not has bad and my pain is completely gone. He stated that you should not bleed longer than 10 days after a miscarriage and if so you need to promptly see your OB/GYN.
i lost my baby lastnight i was 6 weeks along,but i had been bleeding for a week before,but lastnight i had BAD BAD cramping this am woke to pee and pasted huge clots and lots of blood like a sink.....how much more bleeding will take place????????im 27 and this would have been my first baby.to all of you dealing with this im so sorry it is so hard to be so happy to so so sad so fast GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.......
IT VERIES BUT IF YOU ARE WORRIED I WOULD GO TO THE DOCTOR. I HAD A MISCARRIAGE AND A LOSS OF TWINS AT 21 WKS AND THE BLEEDING LASTED ABOUT 2 WKS. MY BEST FRIEND HAD A MISCARRIAGE, AND THE BLEEDING LASTED ABOUT 4-5 WKS.
Hey everyone.. I'm happy I came across this site.. Sunday I moved from SC to WV to be closer to family when I have my baby.. I was 8 weeks along, and Monday morning I woke with one SHARP pain- but I fell asleep afterward.. then I woke up a couple hours later, and had a thought in my head "I'm not pregnant anymore" I can't explain it to anyone- but somehow I just KNEW.. I went to the bathroom and wiped some MASSIVE blood clots along with toilet-paper filled bright red blood. I started to cry uncontrollably.. it woke my husband and we are currently staying with his parents- they even heard me. We have been trying to have a baby for awhile now.. but I have other medical conditions that may have slowed me down.. called CIDP (it's like MS)
Anyways.. they all tried to get me to goto the ER..but I was in such depression I didn't want it finalized..but these "contractions" started EVERY 5 minutes on the DOT. It's just an agonizing pain for about a minute- then it goes away and I have to rush to the bathroom to remove all the blood and clots. No tissue yet.
I eventually called my insurance to see it they'd cover and ER visit- they said yes, so I went. I had an abdominal U/S done and a transvaginal U/S, along with a pelvic exam and many pokes and prods. All this time and pain- the doctor said I definatly had a miscarriage, and I have not yet "passed the sac" and though tramatic- once I pass it, I need to collect it in a jar and bring it back in to be examined under a microscope.
It's now.. Thursday morning 1:30AM.. still bleeding like crazy- and still haven't (to my knowledge) passed the "yolk sac".
I have such abdominal cramps.. and so much bleeding- today I passed, what looked like placenta or something- it was def. tissue of some kind, very stretchy, but not a blood clot ("jello" the doctor called it)
*sigh* I know the logical side of everything, it was my body's way of ending a pregnancy that wasn't forming correctly.. and I was "ONLY 8 weeks along" but I was so very attached already and so excited to have my first baby. I just can't seem to get out of my rut.. especially since I have to constantly be reminded of my baby everytime I have to go change a pad full of what's left of him/her.
And just thinking of seeing the "sac" and having to collect it.. makes me cry. But I also can't imagine just flushing him/her down the toilet either.
Isn't it bad enough we have to suffer such a loss, that we have to deal with the emotional AND bloody physical side of it too?
I don't know when these contractions will end, nor all this blood.. but I hope soon- I just want it overwith, and get a few clean cycles in, before trying for another baby.

My nurse said this when I checked into the ER:
"Don't worry about it honey, just think of all the fun you will have making a new one"
I just stared at her in disbelief.. was that rude? Or am I just emotional?

Oh and to make matters worse- July 29th is when this all happened.. my husband and I's 3 year anniversary. I'm saving the ER wristband.
Is that horrible?
I just lost my baby at 18 weeks gestation and I'm having such a difficult time getting over it. I had been having this thick pinkish colored discharge for about a week and my drs. appt. wasn't far away, so i decided to wait until then to ask him about it. I had read in books that discharge was normal, I was just a little concerned about the color of it. I started cramping evey two minutes and I told the dr. that was on call about it and he said it was probably just an infection and it wouldnt hurt the baby, it would just be a little uncomfortable for me. He said to wait until the next morning to see my dr. The pains started getting real bad and I started to feel like I was in labor. So I went to the ER. They told me that I was just dehydrated and it was causing me to cramp cause the uterous needs to be hydrated. And they sent me home. For the next 24 hours I cramped every 2 minutes still, and it was getting unbearable and I knew something was wrong! But no one would help me. I called the dr. and left a message probably 5 times, and he was in no hurry to call me back. Finally, my water broke and I knew that it was too late! The dr.s wouldn't believe me that I was in labor and now my baby is gonna die! They said even if they would've believed me, there is nothing they could do because it's not a "viable" pregnancy until 20 weeks. I went back to the hospital and delivered my daughter and got my family and I got to hold her and got pics with her. She was perfectly formed and she looked like my husband. She was beautiful and I'm so incredibly sad and angry cause I wanted her so bad! Why couldn't this have happened to someone who didn't want their child? Why me? I buried her on Oct. 24th 2008. It helps me to talk about it and to know that I'm not alone, so any comments are appreciated
I found out I was pregnant on june 23. I was soooo excited, my whole life I have wnted to be a mother. They said I was 6 wks along. I had my 1st sono yesterday, (I should have been 9wks) the sono tech said that my baby didnt even look like I was 5 or 6 wks along. I thought ok maybe we just calculated wrong. Today I had severe cramping, bleeding and clotting. My boyfriend and I went to the emergency room and sure enough i miscarried. Im still bleeding and in alot of pain. emotionaly and physically. All I can do is accept it and know that God is in control... God Bless all of you
When my period was due I had a short/light one. Then 3-4 days later I started to have bad cramping on my left side. My preg test was positive.I started spotting a dark brown color. I had an ultrasound done and the doctor said he couldn't see any sign of pregnancy and my HCG levels were in the 300's/ I was about 5 weeks along. Three days later my Hcg level dropped to 170. I had a miscarriage . That was almost 4 weeks ago. I have been bleeding ever since. In the last week it has gotten heavier. I thought the bleeding stopped about 2 weeks ago. My husband and i had sex and it started again. I didn't think i would be as upset as I was since I know how common this is but it has been difficult and depressing.  Family and friends have been urging me to see a doctor but I know it's common to bleed this long. I am just sick of it. It is my first pregnancy and I am having weird feelings like I did something wrong and that I'm not sure now that I want a baby..But I know it's not my fault. This website has helped me tremendously. I am wondering why my doctor prescribed a baby aspirin? and if I should coninue to take it? and if I should have another Hcg done? It is hard to get in to see my doctor. I am hearing form others that D&C's are not done as often now.  I am also having that bad cramping on my left side today. Is there any chance that I could have gotten pregnant again??I guess my HCG levels would tell me that since my preg test is still positive.
HI
I was about 5 weeks pregnant having cramping on one side and spotting. and had a pelvic ultrasound and the doctor said he couldn't see and ectopic pregnancy but couldn't see any pregnancy at all but that i just may not be far enough along. My Hcg level that day was 370 or so.. 3 days later my Hcg was 170 so I had a miscarriage. SO you really won't know until you've had 2 Hcgs done. That doesn't mean you are in the same situation but that's what happened to me so you should be prepared. Miscarriages are very common and there's nothing you can do about it.
i'm currently having a miscarriage.  i was spotting a couple of weeks ago and it went full on.  it started with a clear discharge that was pinkish that had specks of blood.  it turned into a brownish type of discharge and then bright red.  when it turned bright red, the cramps got stronger.  the cramps act like contractions helping to push out the tissue.  today i was pouring out blood.  soaked pad every 5 minutes!  tons of clots from tissue that had been passed.  finally, i passed a blood covered grayish lump of tissue about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide.  blood poured with it. the heavy bleeding has subsided and i hope the bleeding will stop in a week.  i've had other miscarriages, but not quite like this one.  the last miscarriage i had, the bleeding lasted 19 days.  just an fyi...miscarriages are normal.  there are abnormalties that we can't fix.  it is heart wretching and you don't really get over it.  you just grow with the experience.  even those who don't want their babies that suffer miscarriages feel sadness so it's not really fair to say why did this happen to me and not this other person who didn't want theirs.  good luck and stay well :)
I started to miscarry at 5 wks pregnant (first pregnancy)- the day after a long flight- the bleeding lasted 25 days with light clotting and on day 23 passed large clots, what I thought was the placenta.
I chose to go through the m/c naturally as I thought it would help me emotionally by having some control over such an uncontrollable process and having everything taken out of your hands and dealt with in a strictly clinical nature by doctors. And although a terribly long and drawn out process, I think it did help me see it as 'nature taking its course' to deal with an unviable pregnancy. Even so, I have been seeing so many doctors and specialists so it hasn't been entirely 'natural' in that regard. If you're going to do it naturally, expect quite a lot more emotional ups and downs if the bleedings goes on for as long as i did. The 'not-knowing' when it was all going to end is possibly the worst of it all after you've accepted that you've lost the baby.
Although i dont regret doing things naturally, I still feel as if i don't have complete 'closure' that perhaps the D+C would have brought. The operation is just one day. This bleeding went on for 25 days.
The bleeding stopped 3 days ago. I now have a bit of pain in the pelvic area. The doctor doesn't know if infection or not. I had more invasive 'swab' testing to rule out infection- the blood has all been fine up until this point. She will send me to have an ultrasound in 48 hrs if pain does not go away. I was also told by the gyno that an ultrasound only gives shadows and is not an accurate evaluation of left-over 'product' as they call it (surely they could think of another name?!).  
Can anybody describe the pain they felt, if any, after a natural m/c?  Sometimes mine feels like the cervix twinging slightly but other times it is sharp going in all directions. The vagina also feels 'sore'. Everybody has a different experience, but hoping yours could help me make sense of mine?
I%2Bwas%2Bbleeding%2Bfor%2B2%2Bmonths%2Band%2Bwhen%2Bi%2Bgo%2Bta%2Bget%2Bchecked,%2Bi%2Bfind%2Bout%2Bthat%2Bi%2Bam%2Bpregnant.%2BI%2Bhave%2Bno%2Bidea%2Bhow%2Bfar%2Balong%2Bi%2Bwas.%2BI%2Bdid%2Bnot%2Beven%2Bthink%2Bthat%2Bi%2Bcould%2Bget%2Bpregnant,%2Bso%2Byou%2Bcould%2Bimagine%2Bhow%2Bi%2Bfelt%2Bta%2Bknow%2Bthat%2Bi%2Bwas%2Bpregnant,%2Bbut%2Bat%2Btha%2Bsame%2Btime%2Bknow%2Bthat%2Bit%2Bwas%2Blost...%2BI%2Bam%2Bstill%2Bbleeding%2Band%2Btha%2Bdoctors%2Bare%2Bnot%2Btelling%2Bme%2Bnuthen.%2BANYONE%2BHAVE%2BANY%2BADVICE%253F
I recently found out I was pregnant on 2-6-10 then in the morning of 2-7-10 I started heavy bleeding I ended up having to go into the hospital that after they said I was having a miscarage and they took my blood after my blood work came back they said I was 9-10 weeks pregnant. I had no clue I was even pregnant. I ended up having a d & c later on that night because I has tissues still. I am still bleeding and cramping a lot. I have a dr. appointment coming up but I am still worried about it
I was about a month and a half when I miscarried and have been miscarrying for like 3 weeks (maybe a little longer) When I first found out I was pregnant I had an ultrasound and there wasn't much of anything there. They told me it could be to early but they were pretty sure I had a miscarriage. When I went to my follow up with my doctor two weeks later I was still pregnant. My HCG levels we not going up as they should so I continued doing blood work and ultrasounds every other week. It was very stressful because sometimes things started looking up for us then we would lose hope sometimes. My doctor was watching me closely because she said because my HCG levels we low it could be an eptopic pregnancy when the baby would be in my ovary. She told me it would either be an eptopic pregnancy or abnormal and recommended a DNC or a shot she could give me to make me miscarry however I refused. I kept doing the blood work and ultrasounds in hope my baby would be fine however one week when I went to my ultra sound the sac hadn't grown from the previous ultrasound two weeks prior. My doctor called me that night to see if I would do a DNC or get the shot yet but it told her I'd feel more comfortable letting this happen naturally. That is what I did. I started off spotting and since then it goes from light spots some day to heavy bleeding other days. One day I lost a pretty big clot and had tons of pressure for about an hour until I lost another. Other than that for the most part my clots are medium sized and there are tons of them. Also some days I have tightening in my stomach (like contractions) and pain in my back (just like my labor with my daughter because I had back labor) On mothers day (6 days ago) I lost my white clot (which I researched on the Internet and came to the conclusion that it was the sac)I already have an amazing daughter & my pregnancy with her was good for the most part. I never would have imagined in a million years this could happen to me because once you have one you think your fine. All in all I'm okay with this because I know I did everything I could and at least I have one baby. That is more than some people are blessed with so even if I cannot have more I know I have been blessed.
I AM 18 AND I WAS PREGNANT UNTIL I HAD A MISCARRIAGE AFTER PROM(MAY 1), 3WKS AG0, AND I AM STILL HAVING BLEEDING.I HAVENT BEEN TO THE DOCTOR.ONE DAY IT WAS REALLY BAD, AND I WENT HOME. I HAVE NEVER TOLD MY PARENTS...THEY WOULD KILL ME.
WHAT SHOULD I DO.I DONT HAVE A REGULAR DOCTOR, AND I AM CONCERNED ABOUT MY HEALTH.DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE.
hi..i have a question.
i'm not sure if i was pregnate or not. I had my period about two n a half weeks ago, then last week i started feeling sick in the morning and around supper time. Now all of a sudden i've been bleeding heavly for the past three days and there are some clots in it with just a bit of cramps every now and again. I'm not sure if this means i was pregnate and now i'm miscarrying because i've never been irreguar in my period.
I talked to a nurse at my doctora office and she just said some people have two periods but that it shouldnt happen all the time but shes not sure and she said i could come in and talk to my doctoe if i want but it wouldnt be until next week.
what do you guys think because i dont know and i'm starting to get worried.
I found out I was pregnant 6 weeks after 7 years of trying, I'm 36 healthy and active and have no children.
I started spotting brown blood on Friday with period cramps and had a scan on the Monday by which time the bleeding was darker but not heavy and found out there was fetus with no heartbeat.
I was Sent home and worried sick, the cramps and bleeding got worse so I took paracetamol which eased pain slightly.
I passed what I think was the fetus and womb lining on Wednesday which was the size of my thumb. The  hospital said this was normal as womb lining came out. I didn't want a d&c and glad I didn't as I was scared of the risks, the bleeding is heavy now I'm soaking pads every hour and wondering how long I'm going to bleed for?
I'm wondering when I can start trying for another baby as safely as possible as I'm 37 this summer and desperate.
HELP!! I had a missed miscarriage on Feb 24th, 2010 at 14 weeks which required a D&E surgery. I bled for 2 weeks afterwards. Then on May 1st I found out I was pregnant. I had an Incomplete Miscarriage on June 9th, 2010 at 10 weeks. It's already June 24th and I still have heavy red bleeding. One doctor told me to go to Emergency at the Hosp, and my Obs/Gyn told me to wait until next week and they will test my HCG levels again. On June 22nd my HCG levels were at 364. I'm not sure why I'm bleeding this long. Could it be my period? I feel lightheaded and weak. What could be the problem?
I have had a m/c before at 9 weeks and am currently experiencing one now at 6 weeks. Unfortunately or fortunately i feel better prepared this time round than i did before which meant that i refused to get my hopes up until i saw a heartbeat and take the pregnancy from a pragmatic angle instead of an emotional one. Every doctor will tell you that 1 in 3 pregnancies dont go to full term we just dont hear about it and when we find out we are pregnant everyone want to be positive not practical.
The best way to understand what is going on is to ask your doctor to allow you to have weekly HGC blood tests essentially they need to sit above 1200 to be considered viable.
Brown spotting can happen with m/c or full term.
Every pregnancy and miscarriage is different and the bleeding all depends on the tissue that you have built up in your uterus. The cramping usually subsides after a clot has passed and using vibrating massage and heat packs on the ovary causing the pain helps to pass.  
Things to look out for, subsiding of pregnancy symptoms, breasts not feeling as sensitive, not tied, no nausea and so on.
The bleeding can go on from 2 weeks to more than a month. Only be concerned when there is a strong smell in the pad.
Drink lots of water and dont be a hero rest up, trying to be too active can prolong recovery and dont give up hope you were able to fall pregnant so you know you dont have to be blaming yourself or looking at you loved one suspiciously.
On the positive side you have a higher chance of falling pregnant after a m/c because your body has completed a natural detox (so to speak).
hi purplepolly, i would really apprciate some help from someone :( does this sound like a miscarriage? my doctor said it was possible but i may have only passed lining coming from me. I have been on the contraceptive pill on and off for the last 3 years. i recently stopped takin it but decided to go back on it because i was goin on holiday and would have been due on my period. i went on holiady 5 weeks ago with my boyfriend where i think i may have got pregnant. i dont know for a fact but i have been bleeding for over 2 weeks now, starting off light like a normal period, this was also the time i should have been on my period however i had went on to my next strip of pills without a break and still came on. Then it went heavy in the second week and i got alot of cramp. in the last 3 days it has went lighter again but this morning i passed what looked like a long fleshy piece of string, followed by light brown blood. could i have been 4-5 weeks pregnant and miscarried? please help also now i am only spotting not actually bleeding. thanks!
I was eight weeks pregnant and started to miscarry today. I never really had cramps early but my back hurt really bad (which it often does because I stand all day at my job). About 8 tonight, I started bleeding really bad and I've passed a few small clots and 3 really big ones. I've bled through 3 pads since 9 and I'm now havong cramps. I don't think I've passed everything yet. Thanks everyone for your comments, they've really helped me a lot, but I'm still scared about whats going on. I don't have insurance so I hadn't even been to the doctor yet, and I can't afford any medical bills. If I'm still bleeding this heavy tomorrow, I think I'm going to the ER. Again, thanks for the posts, I don't feel so alone now. My worst fear about being pregnant was having a miscarriage and now its happened.  :(
Hi, so sorry for all your losses, its been a week today since i miscarried, i was 13 weeks but baby was only developed to 6 weeks, so i was told i had a missed miscarriage, i decided on a natural miscarriage, but now wish i had a d&c, last friday i started getting really bad pains then i stood up and the blood just poored from me, i was covered i might as well of not had a pad on as it went straight through it and straight through my jeans, i sat on the toilet until the paramedic came (which i should'nt of really done, he told me i should of lay flat ) any way he came and rang the ambulance staright away and i got rushed into hospitial, my miscarriage had got stuck in the neck of my womb, causing my utreus not being able to contract back down which was cousing the bleeding, the blood loss was horrifc they got me ready for theature and had me ready for a blood transfusion, but luckly i had 3  wonderful doctors who managed to stop the bleeding, i did end up passing out due to the blood loss and ended up on a drip and oxygen, its taken me all week to feel some what normal again although not back to 100% eeling lots better, i've been so weak and dizzy and very tired, im still bleeding today and just wanting it to stop, although its not that heavy its there all the time with the odd bit of a clot, i know its only been a week today, but does anyone know when it stops, or is it just different with eveyone?
hi, sorry for your loss, if your still bleeding heavy tomorrow i'd go to your gp, as you can never be to sure, i had very bad bleeding  and called the paramedic and its a good job i did, as my miscarriage was stuck in the neck of my womb! hope everything go's ok for you and keep us posted. x
It's been two weeks since my miscarriage. I finally stopped bleeding the other day. I called my dr on the 9th and she told me to go to the hospital to get blood work done to check my hormone levels. My levels dropped from the 9th to the 12, confirming I did have a miscarriage. I also have to go back for bloodwork once a week until my hcg level goes back to zero. As of the 19th it hadn't. I have a follow-up dr appointment on Aug 3rd. I'm sorry for your loss too  :(
thanks for all your comments to read its helped me understand whats happening to me see i am only 18 i lost my boyfriend 4 months ago tommorow but anyway thats not really the point i had sex with him a couple of nights before he died a couple of weeks monthish later i had a lot of symptoms metalic taste, unrinating more, sickness, tender bress and darker circles around my nipples on the 15th december 2010 i started bleeding it was very light and a pinkish watery colour now 12th january 2011 it is so heavy when i urinate its basicly blood (sorry fpr the gory details) and the pain i have never felt anything like it before but its below the tummy like underneath. my back hurts alot more but i was in a car crash at the beggining of december so i dont know if its that but i keep getting very hot and then cold as well.

i wished if my life was a lot more simple and i just hope you can give your advise if you do think that it is

many thanks

paige x
I am in the same boat as you. At about 5-6 weeks I started spotting, just old blood at first with cramping. Ultrasound showed a good gestational sack but within 48 hours the blood was fresh and and lot of clotting. My hcg had only increased a bit. My cervix was still closed fairly tightly but the flow was heavier. Cramping got worse and suddenly I passed tissue...a little fleshy sack. My hcg had dropped. They test it weekly to make sure keeps going down but I am still bleeding over 9 days after the miscarriage (total of 2 weeks). I am not sure if I will need to go in for a d&c. The doctor said the fact I got pregnant was encouraging. But the medication I was taking--Effexor (generic is Venlafaxine)--could have caused the m/c even though I have been weening off of it. It's tough but you and I will get through it.  Good luck and God bless.
Hello everyone as have I, I have never used this before or never posted anything, two weeks ago I found out that I was pregnant after having two other miscarriages this past year and once again I started to have light brownish spotting, so I went to the hospital on thursday and they told me that there was no way that I was pregnant even though I have had 4 positive tests at home. I have 2 very healthy children now that are 10 and 8 and I really wanted to have another child so bad, I have been trying to have another baby so long and then I had those 2 miscarriages last year and was really excited when I found out that I was pregnant again. When I went to the hospital on thursday they did an exam on me and said that my cervix was closed, so my question is could I still be pregnant since it is closed and still be bleeding the way that I am? I am sorry to be blabbling on but no one seems to have any answers for me, any help would be great.
I recently had a miscarriage and have been bleeding for two months now. Some days it's really light-some days heavier than any period I've had before. I went to the doctor about it but she says it's normal as long as I don't test positive, which I no longer do. I would say we are just the lucky few that bleed longer than most.
Hi Aria22 hope u feel better i too had a miscarriage july 10 with a uterine infection due to an iud that was still inside my uterus. i was about 13 wks pregnant and was given medication to flush all of the mc naturally. i bled less and less after i passed the baby and then coming home from the hospital, i even stopped bleeding for a week only toresume bright red period bleeding again so imnot sure if its my period or continuation of the miscarriage but its very frustrating to bleed that long! the dr has already seen me last week and told me the uterus looks almost back to its original size. i hope the bleeding stops already! nancy
hi ,  im  names Sarah and im  only 17 i found out two weeks ago i was 2 months pregnant it was all ok  but then this morning about half 11 i  spotted blood in  my knickers very light but around half 12 its got an bit darker and i  had some cramps and an few clots too.  and now its gone back lighter i  hope my baby ok  because i  feel an bit better now at 3pm  but still some cramps and still  bleeding fairly a lot  if you can give me some advice Nancy or anybody on here email me sarah-***@****  i  got an appionment at south mead hospital tomorrow morning so  i  hope everything is OK  but im  dreading it through just in case i have miscarried  .  please contact me back i  need advice
I too just found out I was pregnant and miscarried all in the same day I have no clue hhow far along I was but had an ultrasound and the baby was gone and since it was only yesterday I'm not too worried about the rapid blood loss
My pregnancy ended 4 months ago when the fetus died.  I didn't do the D.N.C. procedure. I took medication to help flush everything out but it didn't work, then a few weeks later I started bleeding and it started coming out naturally. I have been bleeding on and off since then. On two occasions I had to go to the hospital because I was bleeding extremely heavily. This occurred once two months into the miscarriage and once 3 weeks later. All the while I have been bleeding on and off  and still am. Last week my pregnancy hormone level finally went below 5, allowing me to start birth control again, but I am still bleeding and the bleeding has gotten heavier since I started birth control which nurses say is normal during this process. I'm hoping the bleeding ends soon since my hormone levels are down but right now it has been 4 months since this all started.
I am 8wks pregnant and I've been bleeding for 2wks. I've been to three different hospitals and they all have told me something different. I'm really scared because I could be having a  miscarriage and don't know. Lots of blood and cramping here and there.
im having a miscarraige (miscarriage) at the moment i didnt know i was pregnant
it was so spooky reading it as my name is lisa it was just like me talking
i havent told my partner yet he knows im bleeding heavy but as he didnt know i was pregnant
lisa
I was four weeks pregant this time last year when i found out i lost the bby .i didnt no i was pregant untill i startd bleeding very heavy i didnt no wat was happening i was scared. I bleed for 3weeks after n the pain was horrible i didnt sleep n cudnt move when i went bk to the hospital the doc tld me there was another heart beat i cudnt believe it ! Emma
I went in 10/15 with gushing blood knowing something was wrong they estimated gestation at 7a wks but my math for normal period put me at about 10a as I had been bleeding non stop for 3a weeks but after 5 babies was told normal, still bleeding after a month starting and stopping, now I'm cramping severly again, when I cough feels like pulled muscles under my muscles, and back down to spotting again but stomach is bloating? Dr says normal in natural miscarriage but the bloating and pain are worrying me???? Any answers??
Hello
Me and my boyfriend had sex a week and 4 days ago. and i started bleeding really heavy this morning. i have used 4 tampons in 9 hours and all of the tampons were filled with blood..  i got off my period about 2 weeks ago. i have been having cramps.. and headaches. and feeling sick.. but not to the point to where i have to throw up. am i having a miscarriage?

Go to the doctor immediately if you think you are pregnant. Always.
Depending on how far along a person is sometimes they can stop the contractions. After all my babies, and 2 miscarriages I was told that if you are soaking a pad an hour, you need medical attention.

I am sorry you are having to go through this. It is painful. My daughter is having the same thing right  now. The way she describes it I am sure she's having a miscarriage.

If you are having a miscarriage and the other person, in the other car, was at fault you may have a strong legal case against them. Make sure your Doctor checks your HCG and anything else out that proves you are/were pregnant. Get all paper work. If you are and have the doctors proof, you may have your medical bills compensated as well as pain and suffering.

You will find that some doctors are good, kind and compassionate. And others shouldn't be doctors at all. But unfortunately we must go out in to the unknown to find out. If he shouldn't be a doctor, go and find another one. I have had many experiences with both. Be Brave.