Miscarriages Community
How long do your HCG levels show in your urine/blood after a miscarriag...

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

How long do your HCG levels show in your urine/blood after a miscarriage?

Hi everyone. I had a miscarriage 3 weeks ago. I was 6 weeks along. I would like to know how long the hcg levels show in your urine/blood after a miscarriage. I want to start trying again and would like to know when an accurate pregnancy test will happen. I don't want to take a home pregnancy test and get my hopes up if it shows positive and its just the hcg levels still left over from my miscarriage. Please help!!!!!
For me it took about a week for the bleeding to stop and for my hcg level to return to negative.  I was 5 weeks along and it was a natural miscarriage with no d&c.  Did you need a D&C?  Is your doctor monitoring your hcg level?  I would make sure your levels are back to pre-pregnancy level before you try again.

If you have stopped bleeding chances are your hcg level is returning to normal.  If you had normal periods before, you could probably expect to ovulate 2 - 3 weeks after the miscarriage, and a period about 5 weeks after.  Good luck!  
Hi thank you so much for your reply. I had a natural miscarriage and stopped bleeding about a week after the miscarriage.  My doctor isn't monitoring my hcg levels maybe i should ring and see about getting a blood test done just to make sure my levels are back to zero. My periods were always bang on time that's how i knew i was pregnant with my other 2 kids.

Thank you so much you have helped alot.
it took 11 weeks for mine to be below 5 when I was 8 weeks pregnant and m/c
If you stopped bleeding after a week, I bet your levels are back to pre-pregnancy levels.  If you have been having unprotected sex you can probably take a pregnancy test in the next couple of weeks.  That is what happened with me and I am pregnant again.. I hope this one is viable!
11 weeks that's a long time aye. Did you have monitoring to see when your levels had dropped back to normal? I think i better get mine checked.
Thanks so much you make me feel heaps better. I have been having unprotected sex so fingers crossed aye. Congrats to you, how far along are you now? are you constantly worrying about every little pain or cramp you get? I think that's what i'll be like if i get preg again.
I'm sorry for your loss. I was 9w3d when I m/c and took an HPT 3 week after to see if my levels were down. And they were. I just didn't want to keep going into the office with all of the pregnant people at that time...Good luck!
I am very early,  about 4 1/2 weeks.  I am totally paranoid that it will end badly again! I went to the doctor twice this week to monitor my hcg level, it was 50 and then 139, so its a good sign so far that it's doubling.  I couldn't get an appointment until Im 12 weeks, but I am going to yell and scream until they see me earlier!  I do worry that every little twinge or cramp.  

I do have good feelings about this one but I also don't want to get my hopes up and be heartbroken again if I miscarry.    I just keep telling myself that the chance of miscarrying again is not any higher than before.. and chances are everything will be fine!  Good luck!
Hi Steph, sorry for your loss also. I need to go take my daughter to the doctor tomorrow so i'm going to ask about getting a blood test done hopefully this will give me some answers. Thanks to everyone on here that have helped its made me feel heaps better.
I had a m/c end of Oct - (naturally mc'd at home) .  I just took a hpt ( about two weeks after bleeding stopped ) and got a negative -   does this mean that everything cleared out or should I still go get an u/s to be sure ? What kind of u/s do they give - intravaginal ?....What else needs to be done ? Or is this (physically) "done" with ?  

Thanks for your info / advice.
Once you stop bleeding your miscarriage is most likely complete. If you still want to be sure, have you doctor test for your hcg level with a blood test.  You probably won't need an ultrasound if your hcg level comes back <5.    
I just did a HPT this morning and its negative which is good so i'm guessing that my hormone levels are all back to normal. Hopefully the next HPT i do will be positive. I'll leave it for a couple of weeks as i think i'll be due for my first period in the next 2 weeks and if i dont get it them fingers crossed for me.
Thanks for everyones help on here, what a great site.
YAY...There are alot of us on here ttc after a m/c. There is a cycle buddies thread that we made for all of us. You might want to stop by and read them...
Actually,

dont' think my doctor ever took hcg level - I saw him once when he diagnosed the missed miscarriage and then another doctor ( the on duty doctor ) the following week. Figured if  the hpt test was negative that hcg level back down and I was in the clear and wouldn't have to go back and see all the pregnant women in the waiting room.
Just waiting for AF and hoping not too long since periods before this mc were irregular.

Still feeled bummed out and sometimes feel angry/bitter ( especially with all the christmas music playing on the radio, stores these days ).  Maybe because I don't talk about it - only told 2 people about this mc.  Is this normal to feel down or am I a pathetic whiner who should just "get over it already" ?    
Hi there, this last week i have felt quite down also. Everywhere i look there is little babies and pregnant people and it gets me upset cause all i want is for that to be me holding the baby and being the pregnant one. I think its normal to feel down about it all. I just hope that we both fall pregnant again really soon and that'll make us feel alot better.  I got my first AF since the miscarriage 3 days ago and its now finished so so i'm going to be doing lots of BDing in the next few weeks and hopefully i'll have a BFP soon. Best of luck to you and i hope you start feeling abit happier soon.
hi i had a miscarriage 2 weeks and 2 days ago, the doctor gave me the tablets to have it come out naturaly still having my ups and downs. my hcg level is 100.23 does that mean that i will be back to normal really really soon...im not bleeding just staining. this is my first and hopefuy last please g-d any advice?