MISCARRIAGES
COMMUNITY
Missed Miscarriage- how long to wait to naturally miscarry?
by Lugh00, Sep 14, 2010
I'm waiting on a missed miscarriage.  This is my 2nd missed miscarriage and I had a miscarriage before that as well.  I have 2 healthy children prior to all 3 miscarriages.

My 1st missed miscarriage was complicated.  I started spotting at about 6 1/2 weeks.  I didn't get in for an ultrasound until 7w5d, the found the baby measuring 6w4d with a good heartbeat and small clot behind the placenta.  I was so relieved.  I had gotten pregnant charting my temp and I continued to do so, originally out of curiosity and later out of concern.  I just knew something wasn't right.  I was still bleeding off and on, and with the dates being off by a week.  When I should have been 10weeks my temp plummeted (it was Friday after Thanksgiving) I got in for an ultrasound the following Wednesday.  The baby hadn't grown at all since that 1st ultrasound, no heart beat.  The gave me 3 options, a D&C, cytotec, or wait it out- he gave me 6 weeks, before I would 'need' the D&C.  
I had been seeing a midwife prior to the 2nd ultrasound, she recommending several herbs to speed things along so as not to need the D&C.  I took them as directed.  I literally passed the last of the tissue the day before the Dr called to force me to schedule the D&C.  Technically I believe I carried that baby after it passed away for about 8 weeks.

This time... I went in for my 1st appt (I was seeing a reg OB, not the midwife) at 7w5d.  It once again measured 6 days behind, normal heartbeat.  They put me on progesterone supplements.  A week later, 8w4d, I just felt to normal, as in not pregnant.  I got an ultrasound for that afternoon, once again saw the baby, measuring 8w1d with a good heartbeat!  They told me it was safe to share the news so I did.  I went in 12 days later for the original follow up to the 1st ultrasound, I had sent my husband on his business trip expecting all to be well.  It wasn't.  The baby stopped growing again and no heartbeat, still measured 8w1d when I should have been 10w3d.  This time the Dr was very kind (different Dr), offered the D&C or to wait for a natural miscarriage, which she warned me could take some time.  I'm now what would be 13w4d.  I've bled off an on since 3 days after the last ultrasound.  I'm guessing I lost this one at roughly 9 weeks, so I'm 4 weeks into my waiting for it to happen.

I know what to watch for in case of infection, I'm really worried about passing the baby and tissues as the last one was very easy without the heavy bleeding, and the 1st one was- while not easy, not terribly difficult either, more like your 'textbook' miscarriage.  I'm just impatient but unwilling to have a D&C unless it becomes medically necessary.  I'm wondering how long most women wait to have a missed miscarriage naturally.  So many people seem to get impatient and have the D&C after a few weeks, not that I'm putting that down, just that it's not the info I'm looking for.  It's certainly a woman's choice, it just happens mine is to do it as naturally as possible.
Member Comments (26)
by rccresswell, Sep 14, 2010
I am so sorry you are going through all of this.  I was very fortunate if you can say that when I miscarried.  I was 14 weeks when I saw pink discharge.  The next day I saw red blood, that night I was gushing, my waters broke and then my son came out.  I did see my son's body and everything along with his placenta.  He also detached from his placenta as it fell on the ground.  Sorry if tmi.  My son had stopped growing at 11 weeks so he was about the size of my finger.

When I passed him it wasn't sore, I kind of pushed a little and everything came out in one go.  It is very scary seeing the baby but well worth it as well.  I was in hospital when I miscarried naturally but if I could change it I would have stayed home.  You do bleed extremely heavy, I remember changing pads every 5 minutes.  My miscarriage although I didn't know I was miscarrying until I was gushing which was about 3 hours before he came out was very quick.  I would just say try and stay comfortable and remember the gushing can come out of nowehere.

Goodluck
by Scout8601, Sep 16, 2010
I'm wonding the same as well.  My last mc I had a D&C but I don't want that again.  I went in Monday for my first bloodwork (I should have been 6 weeks) and my hcg was only 25.  So I know a mc is coming I just don't know when.  I went for bloodwork again yesterday but they haven't called me and I suspect it's either the same or lower.  So I guess I just wait.  I haven't spotted yet or anything but hope it will be soon bc it really messes with my head to still have  the pregnancy symptoms and know that it's not going to work out.  

4 weeks is a long time. I don't know if I'll be able to hang on that long but I'm going to try.  I think, not sure, but it seems with all the scraping they do during a d&c that it can mess up your lining and maybe prevent you from getting pregnant again and since I had one back in Jan I don't want to do that again.  Keep me posted if you can...

And sorry you are going thru this again too.  
by jamnavywife, Sep 17, 2010
I found out at 10wks pregnant that my twins had passed at about 8wks. I did not want the D&C and though my doctors pushed for it I refused. I went 6 weeks after they had passed with no signs of miscarrying. Then I started lightly bleeding for 2 weeks. Nothing was happening though so I took the pills to induce and passed them at home without any complications (8 weeks after they had passed away). Doctors will always go for the D&C but its up to you and what you feel is right is what you need to do.
My entire story is posted as "Missed Miscarriage-My Story..." if you would like to know more and you can always write privately.

I am so sorry for your loss.
by LilSissy03, Sep 18, 2010
I am so sorry for your losses =(

First of all, I have to say that you are very patient, brave and strong!!! PROPS!

I, personally, opted for a D&C after reading all of the horror stories about natural miscarriages and the complications afterward w/ridiculous bleeding, AFs taking forever to get back to normal, as well as hormone levels. It was killing me just knowing that I was carrying a dead baby for 3 weeks and knew I would break down big time if I had to deliver that child. Also, I wanted closure immediately and my body to get back to normal asap. My levels were back to 0 10 days post D&C. I am only 5 weeks post D&C and starting spotting (AF) 3 days ago which is bittersweet b/c it's nice to know I'm ovulating again and can ttc but it's also a reminder of my loss.
by jamnavywife, Sep 19, 2010
I just wanted to say that although everyone is different, and there are a lot of horror stories of miscarriages, after waiting 8 weeks my miscarriage was very quick and pretty painless. I got my first period 4 weeks later. and my levels dropped back down immediately.
Its scary to hear what some people go through with natural miscarriage but I have heard some really bad stories about the D&C also. Thats why its really important you do what you feel is right because things can happen either way.
Hope everything goes well for you, whatever you choose.  
by Badger77, Sep 20, 2010
I also am waiting to miscarry, I was only 5 weeks when my hsg started to drop.  I was so devastated when they told me, I didn't ask any questions.   I had no idea it wouldn't happen within a few days.  Unfortunately, I now know it can be weeks that feel like years.  The wait for the miscarriage is almost as devastating for me as the loss of the child I tried for a year to conceive.  My hsg has continued to drop but I have had no signs of miscarriage for two weeks.  I am going to pick up a prescription tomorrow to start contractions and help open my cervix as I do not believe that my body will start the process on it's own.  I had prior issues of no cramping or real menstruation before I even conceived so I think this is the least invasive option for me.  I will have an ultrasound in 3 days to make sure everything has passed.  Your health care provider should tell you how long it is safe to wait, potential complications if you do wait (or each alternative), etc., and I think these things are case specific (how far along, medical history etc)  However, you know your body best, and what emotionally you can or can not accept.  Two weeks was my limit because I can't emotionally take it anymore, and I know my body already had issues that have shown I do not shed my uterine lining, or in this case miscarry, without some help.  If I need a d/c later, I know that I took the least invasive course first, and that was the best choice of care for me mentally and physically.
by Lugh00, Sep 26, 2010
I still haven't miscarried.  Tomorrow is 5 weeks from when they told me, probably more like 6 from when it actually happened.  I stopped spotting entirely for nearly 2 weeks, felt just fine, no pregnancy symptoms or anything.  As soon as my husband came home from his most recent travels, I started my herbs (the same ones the midwife gave me before), I also started rubbing pressure points in both my hands and ankles.  After 3 days of herbs and one of pressure points I had an afternoon of light bleeding and minor cramps yesterday.  Unfortunately when I woke up this morning and the rest of the day it's essentially stopped again.  I am still cramping though, so I'm still hopefully, if emotionally exhausted.  I'm giving it one more week before I call the Dr to schedule a D&C, hopefully- if it's needed- I can schedule for the week following that (2 weeks out) as my husband is back on the road for the next 2 weeks, except weekends.  Fortunately my inlaws know what's going on and live down the street, in an emergency I won't be alone.  

I'll go read your Missed Miscarriage story, in a moment.  I am avoiding the pills because I've had 2 previous c-sections and there are some reports of the pills causing uterine rupture after 10weeks or with c-sections.  Inconvenient I have to say.
I'll update again, whenever it's complete, however it completes.
by jamnavywife, Sep 27, 2010
I just wanted to encourage you to talk with your doctor about the pills, because there are also risks with the surgery. I should have been about 16wks when I took them (my babies only about 8wks) and it went fine, and my doctor was very sure that it would.
There are so many risks with the surgery and if its something you really didnt want to do I would suggest talking more with the doctor.

Here are some of the risks with D&C:

* Hemorrhage: heavy bleeding is a possibility if the uterine wall is punctured or scraped too hard by the curette.
* Infection: anytime an instrument is inserted internally there is a chance of infection. Some infections are serious but most can be cleared up by taking antibiotics.
* Perforated uterus: any instrument may snag or tear the uterus by accident during a D&C. Signs include pain and heavy bleeding.
* Asherman syndrome: as a result of aggressive scraping or abnormal reaction to scraping, thick scarring on the uterine walls may form. Periods stop and the woman becomes infertile.
* Irregular periods and/or difficulty conceiving: even slight uterine scarring can cause an irregular cycle and make it harder to get pregnant again.

Follow your gut and do what you think is best for you!

by shasy03, Sep 27, 2010
Normally the doctors don't like for you to wait too long after knowing the baby is no longer alive to give you a d&c or medicine.  I would say as long as you are not sick or have a fever then you should be okay to wait a little longer.  We waited almost 3 weeks before I had to have an d&c. I was so sick they couldn't put me to sleep to do it earlier because I was not passing it.  Then a week later when I was a little better from a cold I started to miscarry and ended up in the ER and that morning after being there forever I had to have a D&C.  So, take care of yourself and if you notice you are getting sick...do something don't wait.