Miscarriages Community
My hcg levels are going down, am I having a miscarriage?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

I had a miscarriage on Sept 15, 2008, when I was 8.5 weeks pregnant.  I didn't have a D&C, it happened naturally.  Prior to that, I had a healthy pregnancy.

My LMP was Dec 29, 2008, but I believe I ovulated on January 18, 2009 (I have a long cycle).  During this pregnancy I have had nausea (without vomitting) and heartburn.  About a week ago I went to the Dr. because these symptoms have gone away and I was concerned.  He send me for blood test.  On March 3 my hcg levels were 195112 and on March 5th they were 187925.  I am currently almost 9 weeks pregnant and am assuming it is too early for my hcg levels to be going down.  Is there any chance to still have a healthy pregnancy after the numbers have started going down like this?
I am sorry that you are having to deal with this uncertainty.  I know HCG levels peak and then decline around a certain point, when the placenta completely takes over.  I thought 9 weeks was a little early, but those levels seem really high, so maybe it's possible.  What did your Dr. say about the levels?  Was he/she concerned with the drop?   Are you going to have a follow up draw?  Why did they not do an u/s?  At this point most of the time that is more accurate once a viable pregnancy is seen.  Is an u/s scheduled?  I'm sorry I don't really have an answer, so I am no help...but i wish ou lots of luck!
I'm sorry about your loss last yr. I had my last m/c on sept 14. I was almost 6 wks pg. Yes it is quite possible to have a healthy pg. I have always had low hcg levels with every pg and go on to have healthy beautiful babies. You are far enough along they should be able to do a u/s to see what is going on. I would request one and a few blood draws, wait 3 days inbetween each blood draw. The hcg usually rises about every 49-72 hrs. I don't want to give you false hope or undermine your dr but you just never know with pg anything can happen. Flukes of nature always do, at least with my experiences. Keep your chin up and let me know what happens. Best wishes to you and your baby..
AP
Thanks.   I went for more bloodwork on Saturday and have an ultrasound on Tuesday.  I hope all is well!
We are having similar situation. My 16 year old daughter just went to the ER today to get a different opinion.  2 weeks ago we found out she was pregnant.   from her lpm it would be about 4 weeks at that time. She was then hospitalized 2 days later with a diagnose of strep throat.  At that time her HCG level was 12000. Last week she had an ultra sound at 5 weeks and the ultra sound tech said she was 7-8 weeks and saw twin embryos but no heartbeat. The doctor told her she was miscarrying but called her later that day and told us her HCG was 28,000 that they wanted to retest her blood on Monday. Today (Tuesday) they called and said her blood test from yesterday showed her HCG count to 33,000. At the ER they took more blood work and another ultra sound.  The ultra sound showed 1 sac and 2 fetal poles with no heartbeats.  The HCG level has gone down to 29000. They did a vaginal exam and the uterus looked good. Closed and healthy.  Not sure whats going on but the doctor is scheduling more bloodwork for Thursday with a follow up appointment with the OB.  any help or suggestions would be helpful. For some reason I cant accept yet that she's going to miscarry yet.  
im right there with all of you im 10 weeks pregnant my midwife did a vaginal u/s on tusday and seen the yolk sac n a placenta no baby or heartbeat a day letter they call me n say my hcg levels are 32904 n they wanted to check my blood agin on thursday to day is friday and its down to 24000 and they wont give me a u/s no one will n iv'e called the er and a bunch of places im not ready to except i could be having a misscarage its to hard for me to deal with iv'e had no cramping or bleeding at all no one knows what is going on but no one will give me a u/s to make shure, im staying positive cuzz i have more testing next week n i hope this is just some freak thing n the baby is ok and i will pray for all of you and ur babys im sorry you guys are going through this its hard to deal with and it breaks my heart things like this can happen let my prayrs be with you all