I just had my first ultrasound and should be about 6 1/2 weeks (based on the first day of my last period). The doctor said he saw what looked like a small yolk sac, but no baby. He scheduled blood work for today and Thursday, but basically told us this was bad news and I would either miscarry or have to have a D&C. I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a similar bad prognosis at the 6 week ultrasound only to find out later the doctor was wrong and go on to have a healthy baby?
You could have ovulated late and may not be quite as far along as they think. I would definately say don't let them preasure into a D&C until you are absolutely positive that you are having a mc. Give it time and see what the hcg levels are.
I would go to this website it has lots of stories....
My best friend did have the very same thing to happen. And she ended up having a perfectly healthy baby boy. So maybe you should wait a little and check again in a few days or week even. But don't convince yourself either way. So if it does end in miscarriage you won't be so blind sided. Good luck.
Thanks everyone for the advice and support. It seems that my HCG levels were < 3,000 and they should have been somewhere between 28,000 and 57,000, so it looks like I have definitely lost the pregnancy. This is my second miscarriage in 3 months and I'm really sad and disappointed this time, and scared. Doc's explanation is that it is my "old" eggs, which may be true but doesn't exactly help. Anyone know of a cure for "old eggs"?
i also have the same problem.i miscarried twice.first time it was blooding,and second time without blooding did D&C.now im pregnant and i went for my first ultra sound last friday.it was the same this time also empty sac.no baby.doctor told me to come again on 31st october for a recheck.only thing that i do,i pray god.i and my husband did all the tests before the 3rd pregnancy.no problem in reports.i'l tell u after my scan on day after tomorrow.
I'm so sorry for your loses, I can only imagine what you are going through, Are you seeing a fertility specialist? If not make sure you look for one, your OB can recommend one also. I will keep you in my prayers, best of luck to you and many blessings, hang in there ok, you are very young so there's a lot that can be done still.
So, I just got the Hcg levels from my second blood test this week and they have gone up from 2273 to 3050. I thought that since they were so low a couple of days ago (2273) that I was definitely miscarrying, so now I am confused. Why would they go up? I don't know if I should schedule the D&C and get it over with (so we can try again sooner), or wait and see if this pregnancy is still viable. It seems really unlikely, but I hate the idea of ending it without complete certainty. Has anyone had a similar experience?
as i said in my previos message i went to da doctor today she sent me to the radiologist.did scan.i did not see the screen also the radiologist did not tell me anything.the report was sent to the doctor.thank god!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a healthy baby she said.last friday it was an empty sac.the only thing i did prayers.so dont give up hopes.this is my third pregnancy.im 7 1/2 weeks pregnant now.better to take asprin from the beginning.
I would still wait a little while especially if you aren't having any other symptoms of m/c. I was told my baby didn't have a heart beat at 7weeks 3days. I was in total shock and I just trusted they knew what they were talking about. I went another week and still had no symptoms of m/c so I opted for the d&c. They never did a repeat u/s as they were certain at this stage they would def. see a hb. But the thought haunts me to this day that maybe the dates were wrong and that I could have had a healthy baby also....I have tried my hardest not to think these things but I, too, have heard of some stories that turn out differently then having a m/c. Now I have been ttc for over 6 months and can't get pregnant again so I am still very saddened over this whole thing. It's too late for me, I have to hope that I made the right decision and that God would not let me make the wrong decision if my baby were healthy. But please ask questions, ask for repeat bw and u/s....don't sit back and be silent like I was....even if the end result is still that you lost the baby at least you will have peace of mind that you did everything you could to be positive that this was the right choice. Best of luck to you and I am sorry you are going through this.
Hey there, sorry to hear about all this confusion you are having with your levels. I hope everything turns out o.k.
I just wanted to add my two cents - you said you were confused as to why/how your levels could continue going up if it is a failed pregnancy.... it is my understanding that your levels can continue going up, but if they don't double within 48-72 hours then there could be a problem. If your levels drop then it is definitely a failed pregnancy.
I absolutely would not give up hope yet. My RE says he continues supporting a pregnancy and monitoring it unless the levels drop, or ultrasound shows a definite answer (whichever comes first).
My last mc, the second beta increased 66% and my RE said everything was fine. The third increased by about 50%, he said he was concerned it was not progressing as it should. My next beta dropped so we knew it was over.
Just FYI. I am not saying this will happen to you. Hang in there. Please keep us posted. You are in my thoughts.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and your advice. DMarie919, I am very sorry for the uncertainty that you feel surrounding your previous mc. I have to believe, like you, that God would not have allowed you to make the wrong decision about something so important. A friend who also struggled with fertilty problems recently wrote "All I can tell you right now is that one way or another, you will be a mother. Every attempt - every disappointment along the way is still bringing you closer. On the day when you are finally holding your baby in your arms, all the waiting, worrying, heartbreak, and pain will have been worth it." I found some comfort in that, and hope you might too.
kristine625, I am also sorry for your m/c and like your RE's attitude. Mine was so confident after the initial u/s that he was already talking about a D&C. After reading about so many other women's experiences, I have decided to wait and see what happens. I will go in for blood work again later this week, and if the levels are still rising will request another u/s. My HCG levels have definitely risen more slowly, doubling every 72 hours rather than 48. My doctor seems convinced, however, that they should double every 48 hours if the pregnancy is healthy, although everything I've read says 48 to 72 hours. The conflicting information is very confusing and frustrating. I will keep you posted as things progress.
I know someone from the m/c forum who was told she only had a sac , no heart beat. She went to another doctor and lo and behold they saw a baby. She is now pregnant with a boy ( 20 weeks into her pregnancy ). Not to give false hope - just don't want you to give up hope. Don't book that d & c just yet. If you're confused I'd suggest waiting it out.
I highly recommend you get a second u/s because some women spot during their pregnancies and have a little cramping. When you go for the 2nd one a week or so later - they'll measure to see if there's any growth and check your hcg levels too. Good luck to you. And your doctor saying its your "old eggs " ? Did he use those words ? Nevermind them - my OB said he has many patients 40+ , his oldest is 53 ! Yes 5 - 3 ! We may not have a larger batch of eggs but, we've still got some good ones left in us. Just look at all the successful pregnancies on this forum. You will have your turn - whether this time or next. Good luck to you !
My sister was told that she had miscarried since they couldn't see a baby on the ultrasound. Well she wanted to wait she went in a few weeks later for another ultrasound she had already scheduled a D&C and then the ultrasound showed some growth it turned out that her levels were just no going up as quickly as they should have. Also the baby wasnt growing as fast as it should have been. She went on to have a healthy baby boy, she had him 3 weeks early so he was really small but very healthy. Don't give up yet keep waiting it out. best wishes. keep us posted.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.