Miscarriages Community
Slow heart rate (85) and growth, threatened miscarriage. Is there hope...

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Slow heart rate (85) and growth, threatened miscarriage. Is there hope?

So I tested positive with a hpt on October 13th, and went to my first dr. appt. on November 10th.  They did a tranvag. u/s to confirm dates and the baby measured at 6wk1day, so way off of what I was expecting, which was 8 weeks.  But, there was a heart beat.  The doctor didn't say what the rate was, but he said he wanted me to come back in after 4 weeks to do another scan to make sure things were progressing.  Well, a couple hours after my appt. I started bleeding pretty heavy.  Went back to the dr. and they said my cervix was still closed and after another u/s said the baby was still there with a heartbeat.  But the bleeding continued, and I ended up back in urgent care on the 12th and the dr. said my cervix was STILL closed, but didn't do an u/s.  This morning the RN dealing with my case had me go in for another transvaginal u/s because from November 10th to November 12th, my hCG level dropped from over 21,000 to the mid 17,000's, which she said was indicative to an inevitable miscarriage.  So I went to another u/s and when the RN called to tell me my results she said she was shocked because the u/s found a live baby in there still.  BUT, the heart rate was only 85 bpm and the baby was still measuring at just 6 weeks when I should be at least 8 weeks now, so 2 weeks smaller than it should be by now.

The nurse said even though there is the gestational sac, the fetal pole, the embryo, and the heart beat that the chances of the baby surviving are slim to none because of the dropping hormone levels and the slow heart rate.  So right now I am devastated because basically I'm just waiting around for the baby's heart to stop beating and have a full miscarriage.  I've been spotting old, brown blood lightly still, but nothing heavy or red.  I don't know what to think.  Part of me wants to believe that there is hope, but deep down I feel like it's doomed and I'm just waiting for the inevitable.  I have already had two miscarriages and am so upset about this one.  I am supposed to go in for another u/s on Monday to see if there has been any growth or if the heart has stopped/slowed down more.  I'm so so sad over this.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?  Is there anyone on here at all that has a positive outcome after something like this?  :o(  Thanks for your time.
Hi, I am very sorry to hear that you are going through an emotional roller coaster. I have had 3 miscarriages, and first time when I got pregnant, I lost my twins to bradycardia, i.e. heart beat keep on slowing down and finally stopped. there is one wonderful site http:// misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com where you can find many instances where every thing has turned out fine, even though it was most unexpected and there was little or no hope. Did you doctor advice you to take Claxene Injections or Aspirin tablets? If you have a clotting problem, I think you should consult your doctor. Also, slow and deep breathing helps in some case. Don't hold your breath. Just take deep breath, slowly.
All the best,  you are in my prayers.