Miscarriages Community
Spotting/discharge, but still have a heartbeat....

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

I had a miscarriage on May 26th, 2010.  I was between 7 and 8 weeks pregnant.  My last u/s was at 5.5 weeks and there wasn't really a baby visible, so we're not sure if a baby ever really formed or not.  The m/c was traumatic and horrible.  

My husband and I decided to try right away to become pregnant again and did not wait for a normal cycle.  We were lucky to become pregnant again right away and I found out on July 2nd, 2010.  On July 27th, I had an early u/s for dating purposes and was 6w6d.  So that would put me at 9w1d right now.  

Everything was going perfectly until I woke up yesterday to find that I was having some brown bloody vaginal discharge.  It started out very watery and got thicker throughout the day.  At the end of last night, I found a small brown clot about the size of my pinkie fingernail in my panty liner.  Today, I had just a little bit of light brown spotting.  I am concerned because I'm also losing small pieces of fleshy-looking stuff, exactly like I did in the weeks leading up to my previous m/c.  

I have a home fetal doppler and decided to try yesterday at 9 weeks to see if I could hear the heartbeat.  I had tried it a couple times already, and was fully expecting it to be too early.  To my surprise, I found the heartbeat loud and clear in the 160's.  I didn't find it this morning or late afternoon when I tried to find it and got pretty discouraged, but then I did find it again tonight (tried again with a full bladder), and there it was in the 160's-170's.  At one point I could hear its heartbeat and mine at the same time, so it was nice to know I wasn't just imagining it.

So my question is... what should I do, if anything?  The appearance of the spotting and the little weird fleshy pieces I'm losing remind me exactly of what I had in the weeks leading up to my m/c.  So I'm terrified that I have a little heartbeat in there right now, and it might not be there tomorrow.  I talked to the nurse yesterday and she said if I'm going to miscarry, there's nothing they can do about it, and just to watch it.  But do you think I should call and demand an u/s to try to find a cause for my spotting?  Or should I just leave it alone since I have the heartbeat and there's no way to fix an early m/c anyway...?  
demand an ultrasound. they can measure & let u know for sure.  i had a miscarriage in March and my docs sent me for an ultrasound every week and a half up until my miscarriage.  I was 11 weeks when it finally happened. Every week, i was spotting and the baby kept measuring smaller and smaller.  not trying to scare you. there were many that went through what you are going through and had a great pregnancy.  Wish you luck.
After 10 weeks it is considered 'fetal demise' if your babies heart does stop. My angel stopped growing on week 12 due to fetal demise. My body didnt reject naturally and I HAD to have a suction and DnC done on week 14. You should request an u/s but many doctors due to insurance reasons cannot give you one until 4 weeks have past since your last one. I had to make a ER visit to get a confirmation of fetal demise because my ins. took their sweet time and I began passing blood/brown gritty discharge, but no baby (thank heaven) I saw my little one up close that u/s, all the fingers and toes, their tiny face and cute little belly...but no heartbeat. My heart broke to see my baby lifeless and know it was in my belly. My thoughts are with you and I hope for the best! Good luck
I'll go get a ultrasound i went throw the same experience when i was like 4 weeks pregnant and they told me that they couldn't do anything about it i went to the ER and they told me my hormones were a little low they did a ultra sound. Know im 11 weeks and my baby is growing thank god everything looks fine so far i could hear a heart beat around the 6th week....so i would go get checked