Miscarriages Community
Threatened Abortion Antepartum

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Threatened Abortion Antepartum

Hi I am 39yrs old and recently found out I was pregnant. On 11/18 I took 3 home pregnancy tests that all came back positive. Since I didn't have an OB yet my primary doc ordered a blood test that I had drawn 11/29. On 11/29. I got in to see the OB doctor Friday 11/30. The urine test that I took in the office came back negative so she ordered blood work and basically looked at us like we were crazy. Well on leaving the appoint my primary doc called and my level was 239. Positive! Oh and also I have been having quite a bit of cramping and shooting pains in my uterus. Well the OB nurse called Friday afternoon and said it was a false negative on their urine test and that my level was 248. Pregnant. But then she told  me that my progesterone level was too low to make this a viable pregnancy?? She instructed me to go to the ER immed to get an ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. So off we went. Well,,the ER doc wouldn't do an ultra sound because he said you wont be able to see anything anyways and he ordered more labs and did a pelvic. My HCG level was 252. The pelvic exam showed that my cervix was closed. Everything looked OK. I asked about my progesterone level and he said it was low and discharged me with the diagnosis of threatened miscarriage. Well,,I haven't had any spotting just some cramping. I feel like I was neglected-passed off by my OB cuz it was a Friday. THe ER doc didn't want to do anything either. So what now? What is going to happen? I am calling my OB doc that I saw Friday and Im letting them have it! Im just so confused and heartbroken. Any advice is welcome.
Sorry that should say 11/28 is when I took the HPT's not 11/18
Did they give u your progesterone level?  Have you had any follow up hcg/progesterone levels?  If not request those.  Also cramping in early pregnancy is totally normal as long as its not severe. Ultrasound wont show anything until hcg levels are around 1500-2000.  Since ur cervix is closed and ur not spotting, that's a good sign.  And since u r so early pregnant your progesterone may not have had a chance to rise good yet.  I don't know why neither dr gave u any supplements if they felt ur level was too low.  I think you still have hope but definitely get ur levels rechecked to see if the pregnancy is progressing properly.  Good luck hope it works out.
They did an ultrasound today! Saw the gestational sac,,crown rump and heartbeat flickering!! I was started on progesterone daily at bedtime! 5 weeks! We are in shock thinking we are losing the baby and waiting,,etc. Oh and they apologized like you wouldn't believe!
Awesome news!  Glad to hear all is good.