Miscarriages Community
Threatened Miscarriage, Could My Baby still Be OK?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Here's my situation. My last period began on March 16th 2011. I took a pregnancy test on April 14th, because my period was a couple days late, and it showed a negative. Three days later, I took another (more expensive) pregnancy test, and it showed up positive. I am currently 5 weeks pregnant. I set up all my prenatal care, and began taking prenatal vitamins about a week or so ago. This past Sundy, April 24th, I woke up and discovered that I was bleeding. It wasn't thick, dark red or bright red, and there were no clots. It was more like a watery pink color, which turned light brown. I rushed to the E.R and they did a series of tests, including an hcg count, and a trans-vaginal ultrasound. Here is what they said...

They said that my hcg came back and my levels were in the 5,000's, which is in normal range for a pregnancy as early as mine. The ultrasound didn't look so good. They said that they could not see a gestational sac, although, it could be too early to find one. They also said I had what looked like a hematoma (blood clot) in my womb. They diagnosed me with a "Threatened Miscarriage". The bleeding stopped before I left the hospital, and I haven't had any blood or spotting since. My doctor called today, and she has ordered a blood test in the morning for another hcg count, to see if my levels have increased or decreased. She also wants me to get an ultrasound about a week from now.

As for the many women who have experienced miscarriages, either threatened, incomplete, or complete, waiting for the results couldn't be more difficult and stressful. So, being unable to wait for my blood test tomorrow, I went and bought a dollar store pregnancy test for $1.00 and took it a couple of hours ago. My urine was quite diluted, as I took the test at 6:30pm. It showed positive. I'm not tring to get my hopes up, becaue from what I've been told, it doesn't look good. Yet I've done a lot of research online (as you could imagine) and I've heard countless stories of women with "threatened miscarriages" and "hematomas" going on to have a healthy pregnancy and baby. The doctors told me that there is a 50% chance of miscarriage, and a 50% chance that my pregnancy will progress.

I guess I'm asking three questions here, first being: Since my bleeding stopped and I hadn't passed any tissue, or had any cramping/pains, that is a good sign, right? Second being: If I did indeed lose the baby, wouldn't I have gone into a period by now? Or atleast passed tissue? Third being: How many days would it take for my hcg levels to drop low enough to have a negative home pregnancy test result? The test I took today was 25 mi/u.

This is painful and I've been driving myself crazy. I know my hcg test is tomorrow morning, but I'm so afraid they are going to confirm what I've been feeling since Sunday, that the baby is not going to make it. I bought the home pregnancy test to prepare myself for bad news, but I'm afraid that all it did was leave me confused and clinging to the very little hope I had left that this baby will be delivered at full term. Has anyone else been through this? Could the baby be OK? Is it ridiculous for me to believe that the baby might still be living and growing?