Miscarriages Community
Weight gain after miscarriage

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Weight gain after miscarriage

Has anyone had any trouble with weight gain following a miscarriage and D&C? I have actually gained more weight since the D&C than I did while I was pregnant. I'm wondering if it's a hormonal issue. It has been about 3 weeks since the procedure and I haven't started a new cycle yet. Any advice?
It could be a depression thing.  Maybe you are eating more than you think due to being upset over the m/c.  I suffered a missed m/c in Sept of 03 but do not think I gained any more weight.  I was pg again 3 months after and actually lost weight due to being sick.  If possible stop and think about what you are eating and see if that makes sense.  I guess it could be a hormonal thing as well.  Everyone's body is different.  Good Luck to you.
i gained a lot of weight after my 2 mc. For me i think it was a mixture of hormones, and depression eating. Also i wasnt very active, real upset and couldnt get out of bed. So i started this pregnancy ( 36 weeks now ) almost 15lbs heavier then i should have. Its going to be hell trying to get it off!!! lol
I gained 10 lbs in 1 month after my miscarriage- but it's because I was eating like a pig!! I was so depressed. Once I made up my mind to change it (I'd lost 30 before I got pg and didn't want to gain it all back) it came off fairly easy... don't beat yourself up about it. I think miscarriage is the hardest thing to go through. I know for me it's the worst thing that has ever happened.
I gained 11 pounds (from day one)  from my miscarriage - so some was pregnancy.  I only lost 4 of that.  I was reading that your body isn't real sure about when to know it is OK to let go of teh fat cells?  i know with me I watched every grain and calorie I ate and I ran miles and miles and miles.  But it wouldn't come off   (finally my doctor told me to stop running so much before I got pregnant again).  but best of luck to you - I really do think that your body has ideas of its own up to some point
I am so glad to see this here.  I had a miscarriage and had to have a D&C.  Since then I have gained almost 10 pounds.  I'm sure at the beginning it was depression, lack of activity, and comfort food, but I snapped out of that after a couple of weeks and have been working very hard to lose it.  My husband has seen how hard I have been working and we are both confused on why I have not dropped any of it.  We didn't know if it was hormonal or what.  I've tried real hard to not to get discouraged and this helps to see that others have this same problem.  I would like to hear from more and their experience, and what has helped them to get back to "normal".
I think my situation has been similar. Unfortunately, I went through a similar situation last summer. I also gained weight following the miscarriage. I agree that some of it was depression related but like you, it seemed like no matter what I did--I got no results. I think I started to lose some of the weight once I started my next cycle so that's why I think some of it must be hormonal. How long has it been since your miscarriage/D&C?
I was almost 11 weeks in January when I had my miscarriage/d&c.  I did not have a regular cycle until this  month.  Hopefully, if it is somewhat hormonal, then maybe I should see a change since things are getting back to normal.
I had my miscarriage on 1st Oct. I have gained 8 pounds since them. I had even hired a personal trainer and have never worked out so much in my life. But, everyday, I keep gaining more weight! It is so frustrating. Its been 10 week and I still have not had my period!!
thank you for posting your comments!  I have been having the same issue.  It is adding more depression and stress!  But it is so nice to know that I am not crazy!  That others have experienced this also.  Have you started losing yet?  I so how long did it take?  was it okay after your flow went back to normal?  Thanks!
Hi! I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my baby boy at 16 wks. last December and gainied alot of weight afterwards b/c I was so depressed. The only way I got it off was to get off my behind and start getting out. ( Not saying you are not getting out, etc. but in my case I did not!) I literally did not do anything (active) for probably 7-8 mos. I started playing tennis in July and that is really how the most weight came off and it really helped with my depression, I found something I enjoyed and that truly helped. Try and be patient with yourself and just start off slow and you will start to see changes and that will make you want to do more. I am now going through a m/c myself and am depressed again but am going to try my hardest to start playing tennis again as soon as I stop bleeding and get the ok. I hope this has been helpful and if you have any questions or just need me to listen I am glad to. Take care of yourself!
Thank you so much for your comment. I was 12wks when I lost my baby. I'm on the other end of the spectrum though. I've lost weight since the m/c,due to being scared to eat(more scared to vomit than anything). I know its an irrational fear,but I'm trying to deal with it. I'm not working,which is making it worse. I'm gonna get up off my lazy butt and look for something,anything!!! I notice that when my mind is busy, I don't focus on eating. But when it's time to eat, I get nervous and panicky. For me,I think it's the fear of losing control,not the vomit. And the funny thing is that I don't vomit often. Anyway, I start school again today. Maybe that might be a start.
Thanks so much for sharing your story. I had a D&E at 11 weeks in October following a missed miscarriage. Afterwards, I gained a pound a week for about seven weeks. I have lost two, but the last five are very stubborn. It IS hormones. I have heard that our bodies take six months to fully realize that we are not pregnant- especially with a D&C or D&E after a missed miscarriage. I think certain parts of my body still think I'm pregnant and are storing energy for the baby. I'm trying to be patient and keep up with my workout regime. I have cut out all sugar from my diet and I drink lots of water. My friend who also had a D&E only eats half of all of her food. That has seemed to help. She's back down to her original weight after five months.
i put loads of weight on since i miscarried.its been 3 wk roughly for me.think its prob a bit of both.hormonal and been depreste.took two weeks of work and all i do at home is snack and think about getting pregnant again.
I had a MC in my 9th week (2nd week of december) and I am a health nut and workout freak.  I have also struggled with eating disorders for several years and this past month so I have enough problems with my body image and I just cannot seem to get to my normal weight, I have even tried fasting and nothing works.  I haven't gotten my period yet, so hopefully once I do, that will tell my body that I'm not longer pregnant and let me lose the extra weight.
I am in a similar situation as you are.  I had my second miscarriage the second week of December as well.  My first one was this past July.  I have always worked out regularly--weight training and running.  I, too, I am having a difficult time getting off this weight.  I gained five pounds right after my first miscarriage and with this last one, I have worked my butt off to not gain anymore--also in hopes of dropping the weight from the first.  I have yet to drop the weight.  I have also had a lot of water retention and this is something that I have never experienced at all until these miscarriages.  It is very frustrating.  I am trying to be patient.  
I believe it may be hormones because I had a m/c in Oct (it was my 1st pg) and I have gained nearly 10 # since!  I have had normal cycles since,  did not need a d&c as I was only 7 weeks, and if anything I am eating less!  Frustrating!
I am also having the same issue. i have had 2 miscarriages, losing both of them at 12 weeks and had a D&C with both, last one was 2 weeks agoi. i have always been on the slim side and am very frustrated with the weight i have put on this time. with the 1st pregnancy i put on about 2 kgs and lost it as soon as i had d&c. This time i have put on 3kgs or more. i have been watching what i eat, cut out sugar and caffeine, exercising 20mins a day plus my regular activity and even tried detoxing, only to put on another half kg in 2 days. I am hoping that it is hormonal and water retention and that when i have my first period i will get back to what i was. how has it all worked for yous who havent responded? will let you know the outcome.
After i had m/c and d&c, i gained 17 lbs within 5-6 months. B'se of hormonal change and irregular periods. If u have irregular period , u definitely gain weight. Tell ur family doctor. otherwise u gain weight, if u eat lot.
What a whammy!  A miscarriage, and then you GAIN weight?  Doesn't it seen like it should go the other way?  Well I am very reassured to read these postings. My miscarriage happened January 11, and since then I've picked up a good 7 lbs (only gained 2 in pregnancy).  I've always had a "healthy appetite" but have been able to get away with it by running 12+ miles a week.  If I gained a pound, I ran a little extra and off it came. Not the case any more!  I do think I notice that my boobs are a little more voluptuous than before, so I am hoping that hormones are the culprit.  I haven't got my period yet, so I'm going to go with that hypothesis until after that and then reevaluate the situation.  My heart goes out to everyone who is reading this string of postings--we're all here for the same reason, and its a tough spot to be in.  Take care of yourselves and think about what a miracle it is that YOU were born!
Well! I finally did get my period after about two and a half months. After this my wait gain has stopped. It has been tough to get rid of it though. I work out everyday and have been on raw food diet for some time. I have lost 2 pounds!!! Seems like the body has gone into some crazy mode. I am hopeful though. Trying to get pregnant again is a little frustrating. I have never had very regular cycles, but it has been somewhere from 30 to 35 days. My second period came after 43 days. I started using the ovulation kit from day 12, and it is day 23 now and I seem to not be ovulating. I am not sure if this kit works well for everybody! I think I will get over my MC only after I get pregnant again! Any thoughts?
Can't tell you how much reading this is helping me emotionally.  I had my MC 1/31 and my weight is going up, up, up!  I have never been so heavy.  My husband and I have been going to the gym consistantly and I may have been hitting the comfort food for a week, but kicked out of that quickly.  I have not yet had a period, but before the MC my cycle was pretty normal.  I did use the ovulation kits when trying to get pregnant last time and it consistently showed the hormone surge for me around the same days.  It still took us about 10 months to get pregnant.  On a positive note, I have a very good friend, who used the kit as soon as she started trying, because her period was so inconsistant.  She was able to get pregnant on the first try and she is due to have her first baby in June.
Reading these comments has helped me to see others are in the same boat but has frustrated me as well because I am hoping for a speedy weight recovery. I had a missed m/c and had a D & E last week. I look more pregnant now than I did before the m/c, it is so irritating. I did not have to buy materninty clothes during my pregnancy but now after the m/c I look more like I am preganant and can barely fit into any of my clothes! I hope my body goes back into some semblemce of control soon! Thanks for sharing
I got my period again! Well! I had been using the ovulation strip everyday. Went through 3 boxes of 10 strips each. Looks like I did not ovulate last month. I have heard that it is possible to not ovulate for few months after m/c. Does anybody have any experiences with this?
I Had M/c and had to have a DNC at The end of Febuary, I was 3 months Pregnant and could still wear my skinney jeans, Since the dnc i can not ware the clothes i wore when i was pregnant. Ive had a period, i work out, try to eat right, and still no results i just keep getting bigger, i feel better knowing that im not the only one. I ve gained almost 13 Pounds since the DNC I only gaind 4 Pounds with the pregnancy
I can't tell all of you how helpful it has been to read all of your comments.  I had a d&c at 9weeks and was lucky enough to get my period 30 days after the procedure.  When I went to have my follow up appointment with my doc I had gained 7+ pounds.  At first we attributed it to starting Zoloft (I had been on Cymbalta prior) for depression.  I have been off of Zoloft for over a month now and the weight keeps coming on.  I am very athletic: run, road bike, mountain bike AND I am very mindful about what I eat.  I am actually starting to get a little obsessed about my workouts and calorie intake.....which I DON"T want to do as I struggled in th past with food.  My husband and I have been even more active than ever and my clothes are getting tighter and tighter.  WTF???

Any advice/tips?
I am so so so so relieved to read everyone's responses.  I keep gaining and gaining and I'm a super active person.  I work out at least 5 days a week, cardio and strength training and I cannot take off this weight.  I  think I finally stopped gaining (15 pounds later) but am having great difficulty taking it off.  My D&C was 6 weeks ago, but I just miscarried the remaining tissue last week (they didn't get it all out during the surgery).  So, hopefully I'll start to take it off soon....

Anyways, thanks for the posts because it makes me feel better!
OMG!  I found this site by searching miscarriages & weight gain. Dealing w/the m/c is hard enough, but to add the extra lbs to the emotional roller coaster is just about more than anyone should have to deal with.  I was 12 weeks when the Dr.'s discovered I had miscarried.  I had to have a  D & C (worst thing I've ever experienced) in Feb '08 since then I've gained weight like a freak (16 lbs).  I can't seem to get it off.  My breast are still larger than normal and I'm tired all the time!  I've tried walking, running, water, water, water, & still I've not accomplished anything.  I'm either spotting or bleeding all the time. My migraines have occured more often.  I'm so stressed!  I hope soon my body gets back to "normal".  My Dr has put me of b/c to help with some of the symptoms I'm having & waiting on blood work to see if my hormones are "normal".  I feel like I've got a tire around my waist I can't shed.  I've always been "hippy", but had a small waist, NOW, I just feel like a big 'ol pudgy mess.  Things don't fit like they did & I cry alot of days I get ready.  I wish everyone the best & thank you all for posting now I know I'm not alone!!!!!!!!!
You are certainly not alone. I think I only lost about 14 pounds one month after my I lost my baby in March. I am trying to lose some more but every time i go on the scale I'm  seeing the same number for over a month now. Everyone says i am getting fatter although i am exercising. My body seems to get firmer from the exercise but they say I'm getting fatter. You are not alone but hang in there.
Same with me.  Rather embarrassing, I might add.  Since November, 2007, I have gained 25 lbs.  I have not changed my eating habits from when I was pregnant.  I lost the baby at 11 1/2 weeks.  In addition, I have since been placed on Clomid, in which part of the weight gain, about 5 lbs. may be related to the fertility drugs!  Ugh!  I'm on my 2nd cycle, and hoping I get pregnant again soon, because none of my clothes fit, and at least I have my maternity clothes, which might...
I just had a MC last week and I totally feel and see the weight gain already.  I feel like a balloon is in my stomach and I only feel comfortable in sweatpants.  It's a little hard to dress like that when you are a teacher.  Anyway, it is helpful to know I am not the only one in this situation.  I have already gained weight within a week, and I have not even eaten that much.  How long does it take for the hormones to settle down?
Unfortunately, don't let me be the one to tell you, that it's been six months since my m/c and D&E back in November, 07.  I have stayed active, and watched what I eat.  I'm following the same routine as prior to becoming pregnant.  I gained a total of 25 lbs!  The pounds haven't come off, and I still am fluxuating my weight between 3 lbs.  Seems I gain 3, lose 3, gain 2, lose 1, gain 3...  Needlesstosay, I'm not getting anywhere.  And now, I'm on my second cycle of Clomid, a fertility drug, which tends to make you gain weight as well.  I normally was 120 lbs., and skinny.  Now I can't wear anything!  I've had to accept hand-me-downs from family relatives, and might be able to find 1 or 2 pair of shorts in my drawer from last year (my fat shorts), to squeeze my butt into.  No matter what I do, it won't come off.  I even tried healthy diet, counting carbs and calories, eating 3 balanced meals a day, diet pills, exercising...EVERYTHING!  It just won't work!  I'm very frustrated, and now even my husband tells me I'm seriously fat!  But knows too that I've tried everything!  If there are any doctors on here, some serious medical advice would be helpful!  I think we've all been through enough with our m/c alone, and having to deal with this is unthinkable!  My doctor, unfortunately, doesn't have any good explanation for it.  She tried to blame it on depression, and put me on antidepressants for 6 weeks, but I felt worse on them, and it didn't help.  

After 6 months, my husband and I are slowing moving forward, and ttc again, without success.  But nonetheless, we have gotten over that hump.  Depression isn't the key here...but something is!  I just can't put my finger on it!

HELP! PLEASE!
How did you get the 14lbs off?  I'm opened to any ideas.  I sit all day long at my job & I try to make sure I exercise as often as possible when I get home, but between running my other two children here and there somtimes it doesn't happen .  I so frustrated.  It feels like everything I eat even a cracker adds a pound!  I feel so bloated & I'm in my 4th week of bleeding & it's time for my cycle to start all over again.  Geeezzzzz !
Wow! I am also feeling like a pudgy mess. I had a D&C after  a M/C ( 12 weeks). Since then I have gained 15 pounds. Most of it in my staomch and hips. I did not look pregnant at 12 weeks but now after theM/C and D&C I look like I'm well into my second trimester. I am working out quite a bit. Never had an issue with my stomach bloating out after my first two pregancies it went down. It is a problem with the uterus? Does anyone know what to do about this? I was contemplating a tummy tuck but goes against my beliefs however I feel like this rubs salt into the wound even more.  It's even more depressing. I feel like a grammie, not like a young woman in her 30's.

I believe that the 14 lbs came off because of the stress of the loss of the child in the beginning (In March). It was hard and I used to cry for the baby. So i think this attributed to the weight loss in the beginning (note i could not exercise as yet).

However, now that i am exercising i don't seem to be getting anywhere so right now i am just relaxing and stop worrying about my weight and just try to do the best i can in exercising and dieting. doesn't seem to work but I'm not giving up.
Hi Jewel,

I posted on May 9th that I also had a D&C and have been continuing to gain weight.  I just read your posts today and wanted to let you know that if you are still bleeding and still experiencing pregnancy symtoms (symptoms), I would recommend asking the Dr. to do another ultrasound to make sure they got it all out.

I had the D&C at around 13 weeks and 6 weeks later, I was  bleeding and cramping, and my body still "felt" pregnant (boobs weren't getting smaller, etc.).  Anyways, it turned out that they didn't get everything out during the D&C and I miscarried the remaining tissue.  It wasn't pleasant at all, but it might make sense to ask your Dr. so you can avoid the pain and excessive bleeding that I experienced.

Anyways, to everyone else, with regard to weight gain...it's just so frustrating.  I miscarried the remaining tissue about 3 weeks ago, and my weight has not changed.  I have been working out so so so so hard.  I go to a trainer 2x's a week and do cardio/strength training 5x's a week.  

I'm hoping that after my first period, the weight will start to come off.  Hopefully that will be soon...I will be sure to post and let you all know!

Good luck and I'm sorry you're all experiencing this as well!

i had a rare two pregnacies, after i miscarried at 11 week they found out i had a ectopic too. Since then my weight has continued to rise! i was always approx 55kg now at my heaviest ever 67kg. my husband and i just cant believe it cos we are still eating the same! i have been to the doctors several times and have asked for blood tests and thyroid test etc but they say i have to wait bout 3 months to my body to return to normal! My period is now approx 1 week late, could i be pregnant again or is it just an irregular period after whats happened!???? waiting is so frustrating , i want fixes, answers and some normalitiy!!

Take Care
My Doc did do an ultrasound before putting me on a new hormone called premphase.  Anyone heard of it or used it??????????????????
I just got my blood work back Friday (May 23rd) the Doc said my  hormone levels were "off".  She also said that I wasn't showing any estrogen or progesteron & she'd be surprised if I felt good.  HA!!! I haven't felt good for months!  This is my 3rd day taken the hormone and no changes as of yet....still bleeding & in my 5th straight week!  The Doc said my body was reacting like a woman's who is going thru the "change. I'm hoping that this hormone premphase will help make me feel better and SOON!  My energy level is so low along with my self esteem I'm ready for changes for the better.   Thank you all for posting it's nice to come on here and talk to other women who know and understand what I'm going thru.  My husband tries to help, but God love him he really doesn't understand.  Best wishes to all of you.  
I've been reading this thread for quite some time now, but never posted anything. After my miscarriage early December, I've been watching my diet like crazy. I've never had to watch what I eat before. For almost 6 months now, I haven't had any unhealthy, fat or sugary food. I haven't had one single snack (apart from fruit). I only drink water, tea and some coffee. Normally I weigh 49 kilo's, whereas now I'm at about 54 kilo's. I too gain 2 pounds, lose them and then gain them again.

I've never had any exercise before, so I've been slowly starting to build up a workout. Nothing happens.

The weight and bloated feeling I have all the time, are very frustrating, when you're being so healthy all the time. Besides my frustration over the fact that none of my clothes fit anymore, my first cycle still hasn't started yet. After my incomplete miscarriage, I had to have a D&C. In 10 days I have to go back to the hospital, to check if there's something wrong with my uterus. I'm aching to get my period...

Thank you all for charing. It realy is nice to hear someone else who's going through the same thing.

Kayla
I'm sorry for your lose.  I look everyday almost to see if someone has posted anything new that may give some insight to what i'm going thru.  It's helped just knowing that others are experiencing the same things as I am.   I've been back and forth to the doctor so much I'm sick of going.  My hormones are so messed up the doctor says.  I can't wait to get that straightened out.  As for my period I'm aching for mine to STOP. Im in my 33rd day and I feel drained.  I hope your appt goes well!
I know exactly what you mean. Having to go back and forth to the doctor is making me crazy. It just doesn't seem to end. I haven't felt good in months either and I seem to be driving myself mad, due to all the hormones and the uncertainty of my health. I worry way too much because I'm afraid something went wrong with the D&C.
I hope the reason that I haven't had my period yet, is because of my hormones, but I worry that the D&C damaged something. I never thought this could have such a big impact on a person.
It's hard to stay positive when there's only one thing you can think about, but let's hope everything will work out fine in the next couple of days! I'll get my period, yours will stop, the weight will dissapear and our body's will be healthy again and ready to move on.
I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum and had a d&c at 12 weeks. The doctor told me that I should get my period in 4 to 6 weeks.  I tried to be patient but weeks passed and I wasn't getting my period.  Meanwhile, my hormones were raging.  I was really moody and my forehead and neck developed all these little bumps.  And worst of all, I was gaining weight for no reason!  I felt fat and bloated, but I was eating well and exercising more than I had been in the previous 3 months. I gained 5 pounds in 6 weeks and my clothes were all tight.  Which, needless to say, certainly didn't help my mood! I tried not to obsess about getting my period because I had a history of irregular periods. I knew from past experience that my body just needed time to sort everything out.  It was so hard not to look at the tissue every time I used the washroom.  I decided to stop worrying and do what I could to be physically and emotionally happy.  I started eating really well - no white sugar, white flour, red meat.  Lots of fruits, veggies, and brown rice.  I did more yoga, exercised more, and in general tried to relax and not stress out.  After 8 weeks I finally got my period!  I'm on day 3 and I've already lost 4 pounds.  I feel so much better, and I'm beginning to feel like myself again.  Try to be patient, and trust your body.  Good luck.
Reading these comments makes me feel so much better; I really thought it was just me.  I had my first miscarriage in October 2007 (week 7, no D&C) and my second in March (D&C in week 11; fetus died in week 7 but my body didn't realize it).  Since the D&C, I have gained about 15 pounds.  I've never been so big in my life.  I've been a vegetarian for 17 years, I work out, I take care of myself - still, I continue to expand.  I got my first period last month and my second one today but my body still does not seem to realize that it does not need to be growing around the middle.  None of my clothes fit and even my husband's baggy t-shirts are getting tight on me.  Of course the weight gain is the least upsetting part of everything that's happened, but it certainly doesn't help.  Best of luck to all of you and thanks for sharing your stories; it helps to not feel alone in this.
Thanks so much for all your posts! Now I feel like I'm not alone with this weight gain problem. It must really be hormonal.  I am a skinny gal.  103 lbs is my heaviest. When I got pregnant, I was only 108. I lost my baby about 2 months ago and everyday i feel like I'm gaining weight. Now I'm almost 110!!! I watch what I eat too.  It's so frustrating cus after my m/c I ran and exercised almost everyday for 3 weeks straight and nothing happened. I feel like my hips are bigger than normal. It's nice to know that what I'm experiencing is normal. So let's all hang in there and try to have a stress-free life.
I had a miscarriage at the end of April, didn't know until mid-May and had the D&C done June 5th. For the past few years I've been around 115 pounds (I'm 5'2, and have ALWAYS been skinny!!) But since the pregnancy and miscarriage I'm now 124 pounds. Last month I was 120 pounds, so I've gained 4 pounds in 1 month. I really don't get it. It must be hormonal because I'm not eating any more than usual. Also, I had a urine and blood test done a few days ago, and there IS STILL hcg levels in my bloodstream. ???? wtf?

I'm also breaking out like I would if it was that time of the month.
I've yet to have a regular period, just spotting, and dark brown discharge...gross I know, but it's true.

So I don't understand. I'm not pregnant, and the D&C is over and done with but I still have hcg levels, are spotting, breaking out and gaining weight. Oh, and my hips look my shapely, like an hourglass.
i have experienced the same thing, and the dr.;s think i'm crazy, i've always been thin, and obsessive over  my weight.  i had a missed miscarriage in april and in may went in for my dnc.  i started to miscarriage on my own during the time, and went back down to my 125 'pre-pregnancy weight'.  i only gained 3 pounds during my pregnancy.  immediately after my dnc, the very next day i went up to 132.  i called the dr. they say it's water weight.. well p.s. two menstrual cycles later i'm still 132.  i work out 5 days a week, eat very little, and yet still cannot lose the weight.  i too feel it mostly in my stomach and legs.  I am very disciplined... and usually can lose weight quickly... i gained 65 pounds during my 1st pregnancy and lost the entire weight plus some in 4 months do to hard work, so i find it crazy that i cannot lose these 8 pounds in two months.... just frustrating and sad it feels like a double wammy!!!!!  my question is why don't dr. know more about this... i saw my endocronologist because i normally have an underactive thryroid that can lead to weight gain, and he said my levels were perfect... he said it can take up to 4 months to lose the weight... at this point i just want to know that it will one day happen, because i hate feeling this way.  i bet once i lose the weight, i'll get pregnant again... hahaha good luck to all.  i feel your pain!  Francesca
Oh my God! THANK GOD I found this posting. Tonight, I was trying on evening dresses I had worn before pregnancy. They weren't working. I was so upset. I cried bitterly. When will this crazy weight leave me!?!?

I had a miscarriage at 14 weeks, 5 months ago. Ages ago you may think, but let me tell you, I was shocked weeks after the ,m/c that I was nearly the same weight as when pregnant. I work out like mad, watch my diet (like other posters I had my tough time that needed comfort food and no criticism) and I measure and I don't know what else to do. It is sticking. I have never had this before. I have hired a personal trainer, whom I start with tomorrow.

On top of the m/c and getting fat, my husand is not interested in sex much anymore. Gee, I really feel great about myself. Though, I am utterly relieved that I am not alone. My sneaking suspicion about hormones, and that maybe my body is just waiting to get pregnant again are not all wrong. Oh, and i COMPLETELY understand the bloated comments, even if I don't eat, sometimes it is like there is a beach ball inside me.
I cried reading these comments.  I too had a missed miscarriage in April.  I was 18.5 weeks when we found out the baby had died but they estimated the baby died around 14 or 15 weeks.  I had a d&e and got my period back 2 weeks after the d&e.  I started working out the day I got home from the hospital.  Just floor exercises since I needed more time to heal before starting cardio.  Now I run every single day except for 4 or 5 days when I had a bad cold/sinus infection.  I have gained 20 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This doesn't make sense.  I didn't gain any weight during the 5 months of pregnancy until the very end when the baby was already dead.  Now 3 months later, I'm 20lbs over my prepregnancy weight. I have NOT been eating for comfort.  My food intake has drastically decreased and my exercise has drastically increased.  First my dh said maybe it is muscle gain so I backed of the working out some and that made it worse so I started working out more and that made it worse too.  What can I do?  I feel so horrible about myself and like others said, it feels like a double whammy.  I do not have the pleasure of breast size increasing though.  Mine have totally inflated so I'm fat and flat chested.  I've had breasts for the past 5 years from breastfeeding and now I have nothing and a huge gut and big legs.  I can't fit into any of my clothes.  I bought some "fat clothes" and now THOSE are getting too big as well.  I'm at a loss.  I'm eating healthy and doing everything I can but it does nothing.
oops, I meant to type "deflated" instead of inflated.
Hello.  My name is Kala and I read every one of your posts, experiences and comments.  It is a relief to read that there are others who have had such similar experiences.  I also want to make a special comment to wanting2bamomagain because I know exactly how you feel.  That 'Thing' that is not depression, but SOMETHING you just can't put your finger on.  I know how that feels.  It has taken me a year to find my something and I would like to share it with you.  Maybe it will help you find your something too.

1 day before my 35th birthday I miscarried my baby.  I was 2 1/2 months pregnant.  To make an awful story brief, my serious boyfriend of 8 months treated me like I was a person he didn't know, never bothered to break up with me and simply went on with his life. I had a miscarriage and he went and played golf.  I was left without even the kindness of a decent man to just simply say to me "it will be alright".  I survived 3 enraged months of anger and utter disbelief.  I have wonderful friends and a great family, but since I was single and well it was 'only' a few months, everyone moved on with their lives and expected me to do the same.  Which I did, on the outside.  After all I have a successful life that I need to get back to.  

But while everyone moved on and no one ever spoke to me about this unbelievable sadness that I felt and this crazy sense of LOSS.  I wanted that baby!  And I was never given an opportunity to say that... out loud.  

A year went by and I was still struggling.  I never lost the weight and looked, well, pregnant.  My boobs were still big, my belly still round and my thighs thicker.  My face is rounder too.  In the last year I have gained a great new job, a great new boyfriend, I am almost back to being a social person, but something wasn't clicking and I could not get out of my own way, or shake this pain.  And DAMN IT when is this feeling of sadness and loss going to end and when will I stop feeling like I should be pregnant and when will I stop yearning for this baby, that is never going to come.  

I went to umpteen doctors.  They all wanted to put me on antidepressants.  And no one would LISTEN.  8 weeks ago I found a new GP.  Who took more than 12 mins to speak to me.  She started to say depression.  And I started to get angry and simply asked her to listen to what I was looking for.  And that is when she gave me my 'something'

She gave me permission to grieve.  

No one acknowledges a single women who is grieving for a miscarriage.  Maybe if I had been married people would have treated me differently.  But finally someone told me that my feeling of grief is valid.  

8 weeks later and a LOT of soul searching and thinking and putting the pieces of the last year together and really looking at them, I realized that I haven't moved on.  I never lost the weight because I really wanted to be pregnant.  I never stopped thinking that I should be pregnant.  I never let it go.  I was waiting for that baby to come back and even waiting for her father to tell me that he loved me and tell me that he was sorry and tell me that I could lean on him and it would all be alright.  

This may sound really sad and sound as if I am in a horrible place.  But on the contrary I am not.  I am relieved.  I finally have my answer to what I was looking for.  

And now, now I can move on.  And now everything will be alright.  

I hope you find your 'something' soon.  And I hope you take comfort in knowing that I may know how you feel.  

Sincerely,

Kala Lily
I am so happy that I found this site.  I just got done calling my OB asking what heck was going on with my weight gain. I lost my baby on June at 18 1/2 weeks. Had a D & E (D & C) on June 5th.  I only gained 2 lbs while pregnant.  I weighed 133 and yesterday I got on the scale and it said 147!!!!!!  that is 14 lbs in a month and 1/2 about.  I am so upset.  I know that when we returned from the hospital after a week of being in there (blood transfusion--17 hours of labor--very sick), we came home and I pretty much just layed around and recovered for about 2 weeks. I was depressed so I slept allot, and I did eat normal,but also ate like 3 peppermint patties (small ones) a day--I was addicted.  But for the past 2 weeks I have been more active, and started working out last week.  4 days a week cardio and crunches. and been eating less than normal.  Also, I think it is bad bc we eat dinner late, and then go to bed, but I did that when I was pregnant and only gained 2 lbs the entire time.  None of my clothes fit and my husband doesn't want me in regards to sex, it is so hard. I am wondering if my hormones are off or if I am having issues with my thyroid.  HELP!!!!!!
It is so nice to read all of the postings on here!  I too feel so much better and not alone.  It has been 2 weeks since I m/c naturally and the scale continues to go up and up and up.  I am SO frustrated.  Just 4 weeks ago I was 140 and now I am 148 today.  WHAT THE HECK!  I know that  in the beginning I was eating whatever I wanted, but I have gotten back to normal eating and yet the scale keeps going up and up and up.  I am so frustrated.  I normally run a lot so I hope to start doing that again this week....it is just hard to go through a m/c and then feel like **** about myself! I hate that barely any of my clothes fit anymore.  I am glad to hear that hormones may be contributing.....I think that has got to be true.  I just want to feel good and normal again.  Oh, and one more thing, I have started breaking out like crazy.....ugggg....this is another thing that just makes me feel terrible about myself.  Again...I just want to feel and look normal again!
I'm glad to see that other women have experienced the same thing.  I found out at 12 weeks that I had miscarried sometime around 9-10 weeks.  I did not gain any weight during my pregnancy but since my D&C on July 14, 2008  but today Aug 7 when I got on the scale I noticed I had gained 5 pounds.  I had just gone into see my OB on July 30 and weighed 118.   I'm small at 5'4 and normally weigh about 117 pounds.  I work out regularly with weights and run and bike.  I watch what I eat--mostly vegetables and some sort of meat.  I exercise portion control and include fiber supplements in my diet because I noticed fiber helps with the problems the prenatal vitamins seem to cause and has helped keep my abdomen flat until recently.  I have no idea what is going on right now but I'm not eating more.  My weight gain is centered around my abdomen and my thighs--almost like my body still thinks it's pregnant.  I wonder if my body still thinks it's pregnant and is continuing to buffer the uterus even though there is nothing there.  I'm increasing the fiber supplement to see if this has any impact on my weight gain and I'll let you all know what happens.  
I gave birth to my fourth daughter at 21 weeks gestation on June 20th, 2008.  She passed shortly after.  I had gained 20 lbs. with the pregnancy and can not lose the weight.  I have been a member of weight watchers for 7 years, and know how to eat right.  I've faithfully counted pts., and have exercised, but the scaled won't budge.  
after reading all the post here, hormones or not, i feel that wat we can do is stay happy.  give ourselves the time to grieve, talk about it when someone asked, do not despair and be strong.  self control is very impt, do not stress over too much as it wouldnt help in anyway.

i was 59kg b4 i knew i was preg & lost my baby @ almost week 22(end of April & weigh 67kg). i was induced into labour(for 21 hours of contractions & pain), my 1st period came on 11th June after n since den, im still 63-64kg (i am not an active person & my period was regular 28 days cycle b4), but my 2nd cycle came @ 26 July(46 days later!)  i am so frustrated as i could not fit in my normal clothings and i felt my jeans extremely tight. i ate as normal, tried to cut down on carbs but still nothing turn the scales down!  i totally felt the pain of everyone here who had a m/c and the weight that wouldnt go away that makes it worse.  

My hubby & family & colleagues were 'nice pple', so as not to make me feel so bad bout my fats, they did not comment on my growing size, except for some who doesnt know wat i had been tru, really commented i had a 'good' life and was "eating well"

But ladies, we had to face it, no one should or will pity us bcoz we loss our baby, mentally we muz haf confidence in how we look and feel, treat ourself well, no point struggling & stressing ourselves.  do wat u deem fit... lets all move on to a better future :)
I miscarried my 1st pregnancy at 6 weeks 3 days ago. I'm really sad about it. I know I'm grieving, but I've lost my appetite. I feel like there is no point to my life. The father left me also - except he insulted me first. I'm just a mummy to an angel born into heaven. It's hard because all I have is some friends on facebook. No family members that I can tell, so I'm pretty sure I'm on my own. When people ask me how's the pregnancy going, all I can say is I'm not anymore. Kinda really sad. I'm I'm just ill. Mentally and physically. I have asthma but I can't take my inhalers. I was diagnosed today with an ear infection. I keep getting headaches like you would not believe. And it's like pretty much as it was confirmed I was pregnant I wasn't anymore more. I took a postive test 7th Aug 2008, but I thought it may have been void because the control window wasn't complete. Then Sunday I took another one and it was positive. Monday I started getting reall bad cramps, and Tuesday I had bleeding to go with it. I knew I was miscarrying. I saw my doctor and he made an appointment with the hospital for the next morning. Wednesday I didn't feel pregnant anymore. My nausea pretty much had died off. I had an internal and an external scan... they couldn't find anything.  Also my blood results came in Thursday - they said the levels were back to one. They confirmed miscarriage. Last night I took vicodin for no reason. I just want the emotional pain to stop. Tonight I was debating whether to get drunk or not. I couldn't see any point. So I went to bed. And woke up bleeding again. :( It's like my mind hasn't comprehended what happend. I don't know what to think and how to feel, other than I'm on a downward spiral. My baby must have had something wrong with her. Or God knew I wouldn't be able to raise her on my own. I just think, what happens if she had miscarried later like 7 months, or died after birth... it would have hurt alot more then. God cares, that's why he took her away at an early stage. I hope all of you lovely ladies that if this unfortunate thing has happend to you too, I hope you can find closure and comfort knowing it wasn't your fault. Peace, love, and friendship :) Things will be okay, and I know they will be for me too.
Hi everyone. Wow, this is powerful stuff to read. Thank you to everyone for your posts.
I've had 2 miscarriages and like many of you I am having a hard time losing the weight. I googled "weight gain miscarriage" on a whim thinking I wouldn't find anything and I was pleasantly surpried to see all of these posts. I had a missed m/c in June and a d&c and I am still struggling both mentally and physically. Considering it is my 2nd, I honestly thought I would be mentally stronger, but it has actually been gut wrenching to deal with. It is emotions that I just cannot explain to anyone and I feel very isolated. My husband is incredibly supportive, but it's very difficult for me to feel that he truly understands. A big part of me feels like I am being overly emotional and I should move past it at this point, but I just cannot do it.
I did not expect to gain weight after all of this and it has been very frustrating. I would agree that depression may play a part except that I don't really have an appetite and I have always watched what I eat and work out religiously. I recently started working out even work and increasing my intensity. Now, after reading this, I realize that it's probably normal and my body will figure itself out and I should be patient.
Thank you to you all for sharing your stories. It has helped me a lot and helped me feel that I am not so alone.
This is so helpful. I had a D&C at 11 weeks  in July after a missed m/c. I did not gain any weight during my pregnancy and a week after my d&c, I had gained 2 kg! I never gain weight and it generally makes no difference how much rubbish I consume...but I'm still 2kgs up and it's not coming off. I would like to have a medical answer on this if possible. I still haven't had a period although I thought last week at 7 weeks after d&c I was having one but it was just a very slight  brown discharge with no blood. I've used the ovulation kits and nothing happening there. I think the hardest thing is the waiting because of a messed up cycle, not knowing where you're at and your body is so out of whack.
have you done a pregnancy test?
It is very comfortating to hear everyone's story. I found out at 10 weeks that I had a mc at 8 weeks. I had gained 11 pounds and can't seem to loose the weight. I refuse to by new clothes. I bought some maternity pants since I am hoping to get pregnant again soon. However, I feel stupid wearing maternity clothes when I am not pregnant. It's bad enought having a mc and then feeling awful about your body on top of it. I am glad to hear I am not alone!
I am sorry to hear what you are going through. Hang on things will get better soon! Time heals all wounds! At least you are not alone here!
Yes, I've done a pregnancy test and it's negative. trying cervical position and mucus as well which led me to believe  I was ovulating but the sticks showed nothing happening. I will post if anything happens!
Does anyone have a medical explanation for the weight gain after miscarriage?  I had a D&C in April for a missed miscarriage and I've gained 8 pounds since.  I've been keeping a food journal and exercise log and I'm eating 1500 calories a day, exercising 3 times a week, and I can't lose weight.  Even worse, according to the scale on some mornings I've gained weight!  I've been tested for PCOS and hypothyroid and they're both negative.  My doctor had no explanation and suggested that I join weight watchers.  Does anyone have a solution?
I am just letting you all know that after my previous posts, I think I'm finally getting my first period at 8/9 weeks after my D&C - I'm so happy! I finally feel 'normal' again... also I have lost about 1.5 kg since my post on Sept. 3rd without trying so as encouragement for you all - the weight will come off and your first period will eventually come!
I gained about 5 pounds during the pregnancy and miscarriage (about 6 weeks along).  Once I found out I was going to lose it though, I continued my normal exercise routine of 25 miles walking/running a week (6-7 hours a week) and didn't lose the weight until this week (I ovulated for the first time last week) - so I definitely think it is a hormone thing.  I didn't eat any more or less - just held on to the weight until my body got back in synch.  Hopefully - I'll be pregnant soon and gain it all back!  
I was glad to find this forum.  Just had a D&C the other day after 10.5 weeks (probably lost around 6-7 weeks).  As far as weight gain and clothing, rather than getting maternity pants, try wearing sweatpants or "yoga pants" that are straight w/o designs that are a size slightly larger than what you wear now.  I have the benefit of staying at home w/my kids, so I tend to live in my black, navy, and gray sweatpants everyday with casual tops or pullovers.  I looked in the mirror tonight and looked more pregnant than a few weeks ago.  Though, I've been eating lots of leftover Halloween candy and desserts my family brought over for us after the MC.  After reading these msgs, now I know the weight gain is to be expected.  Thanks to all for sharing your stories.
I am relieved, but still concerned after reading all of these posts.  I had a m/c and d/c at about 12-13 weeks, at the end of August.  I have since gained 10 pounds and am very active, running, and going to the gym 2-3 times per week.  I am sure that I had a lot of depression eating in the beginning but have curbed that.  I even signed up for a 4 week fit camp, and didn't lose a friggin pound.  It is SO depressing.  I actually moved all of the clothes I can't wear out of my closet this week, I am depressed looking at what I used to wear.  It is only in my stomach.  It seems bloated and pooching all of the time.  I started my first cycle less than 28 days after the d/c.  I lost my boobs immediately but can't seem to lose the bulge around the middle, so no tops (the least bit fitted) fit, nor any of my pants.  I had about decided that at least part of my body still thought it was pregnant, or that I was losing my mind.  I am glad to know that I am not alone and will hold out some hope, that one day it will go away, and I can put all of this behind me.  It has been 4 months since I found out I was pgt, and 3 months since my d/c.  I'll keep reading for any new suggestions, as I have none!
I am so glad I found this forum! I had a D&E at 25 weeks December 30 and have not lost the weight! I put on 18 pounds while pregnant (thank you bagels!). I worked out 30 minutes every day, but didn't worry b/c before pregnancy I did cardio, weights and Bikram and b/c I was thin and active I thought it would be easy to lose the weight post baby, not expecting to be in this situation of couse. I gained about 5 pounds after the D&E so I need to lose about 13 total. It's been 5 weeks of running, weights, Bikram, low cal diet and have lost 2 pounds. The constant bloating is making me crazy b/c it feels like a teaser that my period is coming. I cry almost everyday out of frustration. The miscarriage is hard enough, but the weight is like a reminding slap in the face of what was. My period hasn't come yet, which is another stressor, but I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone and I just need to be patient. Big hugs of support to all of you going through this.
Thank god, thought I was nuts! Feeling guilty for every piece of food I put in my mouth. Miscarriage at 15 weeks. Gained 7 to 10 lb after d&c. Dr just says it's water, yeah right. Me too all in my middle and legs. People keep asking when I am due, to add insult to injury. I really hope I start to lose after I start my cycle again.
I haven't posted since September during which time I've had another two early miscarriages. Re. the weight, I have no medical explanation,  although I have asked, but it absolutely must be hormonal. My weight has been the same most of my adult life and I've never dieted.  I gained no weight during my 3 pregnancies but now that I've miscarried again, I'm 3 kg over my normal weight - the 3rd kilo came overnight last night, I kid you not!! It's depressing if you allow it. Incidentally, between the 2nd and third miscarriages I did manage to lose 1 kg but it went back on after this miscarriage. Also, I've had my first period at 26 days after my D&C  - I'm now day 9 of my cycle - but it hasn't helped the weight. In my case, it's not overeating - I'm eating plenty but no more than normal and getting a bit of exercise. I'm just going to wait and see and that's the best advice I can give. Also, I've decided not to weigh or measure myself until end April.
Hi ladies! Thank you for sharing your stories. It has been 12 weeks since my D&E and about a month since my last post. My period finally came on march 1st and OMG I was so happy. Mostly b/c it felt like a return to normalcy. The weight is also finally coming off. Not as quickly as it would have before, but there is movement. I'm super sensitive to losing it all b/c when I get preg again I'll be at risk and only allowed to go to work and go home so I have to be super healthy going into it. Hang in there, be patient.
hello...i'm so grateful i found you all.  

thank you for helping me feel - not alone.  

this is my first post about my miscarriage.  

i think it must be the feelings of grief that keep me "weighed down".  i had a miscarriage at 6 weeks about a month and a half ago (feb 2009).  i was not even sure that i was pregnant.  not even sure if i wanted to have children.  and then a week after the m/c, i felt a kind of raw emptiness - an insatiable kind of hunger that food could not satisy.  and yet, it was all i had to fill me.  i know that my body will recover. the 10 extra pounds i carry remind me that i'm still grieving.  but i do not want to be reminded. i feel this sadness and this aloneness that is unlike anything i've ever felt before.  i wonder when it will end.  and no website seems to be able to tell me.  there is no book that says how long grief lasts.  everytime the tears come, i am surprised...and i think angry - like, "again?  still?"  the 10 extra pounds say to the world, i am in pain - even though my face mask says that i'm fine.  my body does not lie.  it never has.  only my mind does.  my mind says that i'm not okay - that it's not okay to feel this sad for this long.  it's time to move on.  that it's not okay to weigh this much.  that it's not okay to be in a dark place.  i try to hide this darkness from my friends and my family...

and yet my body says "i am grieving - please see me and accept me and love me in this place where i am not able to just yet."

my body says i'm tired - i need rest. my body says i need more root vegetables, more warm soups and herbal teas.  more gentle exercises.  more walking. more support.  more feeling time. my body says that i can trust it - even when i don't want to.  that i'm still beautiful - even while i'm grieving.  

and my body says that the weight will come off when i'm ready.  

and that the pain will subside when it is fully felt.  

thank you for "listening".  
I also had tears in my eyes reading some of these posts as i too like many of you thought i was going mad.
I have been 65 kg for most of my adult life and only gained 18 kg in my first pregnancy. i took me quite a while to lose the weight..my son is now 3 and i yearn for another child. It took me that long to convince my husband we should have another one, concieved easily twice and have had 2 m/cs since Nov 08..one at 6 weeks (no Dand C) and tried again after 2 months (I am 36!) and then lost the baby at 8 weeks. Had a DNC in March and then had a almost 3 week period.. Then have had since had a period but was only 3 days...
I am now nearly 71 kg.   I eat like a horse and am pretty active but usually dont gain much so i know something is up, epsecially after reading all this.
not fitting clothes, sadness, grief etc triple quapruple whammy.
Not many of you have mentioned when you are likely to try to have another baby. In my 2 preganancies my husband was happy about it and had lots of work on (self employed) now times are much tougher and he is struggling for work he thinks another baby is a bad idea so i am gutted every day and feel like i am consumed with the idea of having another child. i just so want a sibling for my son...and he is 3 already. is there anyone else struggling with this..their partner not really wanting number 2 cos i think thwe weight gain and miscarriage are bad enough but what about that issue???
maybe i should just let go of the idea and accept my son will be an only child... or should i just relax about the age gap? and the fact that im 37 in August!!!  
Hugs for all of you experiencing the pain of this...
i have already had one person ask me when im due. This is like a stab in the heart! xx
My fiance and I just tried to have our first baby and it turned out to be a molar pregnance and I had to have a D&C. I'm 29 years old and extremely active. I've put on 15 pounds and have been jogging 4 miles a day 3 times a week and play tennis at least once a week or go on long walks and I'm eating extremely healthy. Lots of salads, water, veggies, small portions, etc. Nothing has worked thus far. I'm so glad to hear that this is not only in my head. It's seriously starting to hurt my self-esteem. I've don't fit in any of my clothes, my thighs have tons of cellulite on them and I have this pouch of fat in my lower abdomen that won't budge. I had the D&C only 45 days ago so I'm guessing I'm going to be going through this for a few more months... great.... thanks everyone! I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one!
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences during such a sad time. I miscarried our 16 wk. baby 2 weeks ago, and bled so much that I passed out in my husbands arms at home. Thank God the ambulance arrived just in time otherwise I don't know if I would have made it. I'm 29, and this was my 4th pregnancy and I was really surprised that the baby had died since my other 3 pregnancies went so well. I must admit that since my mother had 8 children in 12 years, with no miscarriages, I felt that I would have the same fortune.
Anyway, I've gained almost 7 pounds in the two weeks since my miscarriage & D&C.  I was losing weight with this pregnancy and was feeling strong too. I didn't expect to be gaining weight after my m/c. I'm eating  healthy meals (alot of iron rich foods actually because my hemoglobin count was very low when I had the m/c) and I am still active like before, so it surprises me! but i'm SO relieved to read that this is probably a hormonal thing and is very normal... which is a bummer because it is one more thing for us women to cry about. :o( no matter how much i tell myself or my husband tells me that this is okay, i've been through alot, it still is hard to accept that now I'm gaining weight.

I'm also still breastfeeding my youngest - who is 8 months old now. I found during my pregnancy before I had the m/c when I was nursing I would never fill up my breasts, but now that I've had a m/c my breasts have grown a size more (which I don't really need either since they are big enough!). Its great for my 8 month old because there's so much milk for him, but I'm wondering if my body is confused and thinks I'm nursing a newborn. I guess that's probably why I have gained weight too... in the breasts and the belly.  Now I don't know what to wear because I"m not pregnant anymore and I don't want to wear my maternity clothes because it doesn't feel right. But my normal clothes don't fit.... and its not as if I have the money to spend on a new wardrobe for myself either, especially with 3 young children that need new clothes every season.
Thanks everyone for sharing! I'm relieved that I'm not the only one... my heart goes out to everyone suffering through a miscarriage. Your baby is in heaven praying for you!
I thought I was alone in this. Sorry about everyones loss. I know it is not easy. I too had a m/c and d/c  at 10 weeks (baby died at 7 wks). I have gained 20lbs since March 6, 2009. I hardly eat, im in school and have a hectic schedule. I was active befor pregnancy and after but I can not explain the weight gain. I do take levothyroxine for my thyroid, so maybe right now my body is out of whack. I am pregnant again, the doctor has put me on progesterone because my levels were a bit to low. That might have been the cause why I m/c my first baby.  
It is a relief to hear that I am not crazy. I have had two miscarriages in the last 8 months or so. The last one was in May. I have already had a period but that did not seem to help the weight gain. I seem to be putting on weight no matter what I do! I have been doing weight watchers but that isn't even helping! I do believe it is hormone related, but it is not making me feel much better. Does it eventually come off??!! When I read these posts I don't hear any of them saying they eventually lost it. I am so frustrated!!
I actually lost weight. After my miscarriage I shed all the excess water weight and so forth.
Wow, I am so relieved to read all these posts, it is the most comforting feeling in the world to know now for sure that I am not alone and I am not CRAZY! I had a missed m/c back in April. During my first tri, I gained about 10 lbs! Then after the m/c, I have been trying desperately to lose the weight - seeing a nutritionist who had me on 1500 kcals a day, and exercising 4-5 days a week. Normally, the 10 lbs would have been long gone, but the scale will not budge, and it fluctuates about 3-4 lbs, it's insane. One day it will be down 3 lbs and I get so excited, and the next day they are back, even if I've eaten the same and worked out. I have been so disciplined with diet and exercise, more then ever in my life, and for the first time the scale is the most stubborn it has ever been. I feel like I don't even know my body right now. I am exhausted all the time, breaking out, of course the weight issue, and just feel out of it. I am having full blood work to include thyroid testing next week. But I think it's totally because of the hormones. My body just WILL NOT let this go, it wants to be pregnant, and I look it still! My weight is 100% belly and thighs, I look 5 months pregnant. Will post back after my blood work is too. I just want the weight off and to feel like myself again so we can start TTC again. Thank GOD for this forum, it is such a relief. Blessings to all you ladies :)
Hi - I too was starting to think I was going crazy. I had a miscarriage at 20 weeks. The baby died and I had a C-section. Not sure that was necessary but I have had two prior deliveries via C-section and when the doctor told me that was how to proceed I was just like a robot agreeing to anything. Anyway, I am now six weeks post surgery and weigh five pounds more than I did going into the operating room. It's making me totally depressed to have to deal with the weight gain along with the grief of losing my baby. I too have tried to diet and exercise more but the scale just keeps going in the wrong direction. I was feeling totally isolated until I read all your posts so it's really comforting to see I am not alone. I hope everyone feels better soon.  
i had a missed m/c last february,just like most of you i gained 10lbs,i just cant imagine that i'll be this fat ha.Last May my OB-GYN started me on HUMAMET (METTFORMIN 500 MG 2x a day),to fix my ovulation process & to help me lose weight.I cou'ld'nt believe it im eating very less now, maybe because of the effects of mettformin,im losing weight now, little by little.The Doctor told me that if i i want to get preggy again, i really need to lose weight.Mettformin is very safe according to my MD, it can be taken even on the 3rd month of pregnancy.Well, im praying that i'll miss my period this august & get a possitive pregnancy test...God Bless us all
I had a D&C Friday morning.  Since then, I've watched my belly grow daily & even during the day- from morning to night.  I've actually gained 10 lbs since Friday morning.  It's now Tuesday!  That's 10lbs in 4 days!  The Dr says it's not related to the D&C & I'm probably eating healthier now.  Wrong!  I'm thin & frequently get asked if I eat at all, but I always have an appetite & eat good.  This is not right!  I seem to be really bloated at times & last night the upper portion of my abdomen was in agonizing pain.  Anyone else gained weight this fast or had horrible pain high up in the abdomen after a D&C or miscarriage?  And yes, I'm having plenty of BM's.  That doesn't seem to be the problem.
I found out at 11 wks that things weren't progressing as they should and had to have a D&C right before the 4th of July. I went back on b/c at the recommedation of my dr to try and stimulate a cycle. Its now mid Sept. I tried ortho-tri and ended up gaining more weight than when I was pregnant, had headaches, naseau. I still felt pregnant. I switched to a lower dose (the ring, which has been fine for me in the past) and I'm still heavier, minus the headaches. I still cry at the drop of a hat. My husband God love him, is quite the trooper to deal w/ the emotional/hormonal roller coaster I've been on. I have always been active and am still, as well as being mindful of what goes in my mouth. I finally took out the ring today and my husband and I are just going to try using condoms. I just want to get my body and mind back to my normal self!!! I'm so thankful I'm not alone. Has anyone else tried b/c right after and had the same problem?
Thank you all for your posts. I had a m/c at 8 weeks a month ago today, and it has been truly a trying time! I cannot believe the emotions that I feel and cannot express. The depression, the tiredness, and NOW the weight. Its just not fair. I have not had the energy nor want to get out of bed for the past month. I used to run 6 miles every other day and am a eating health nut. But this has been a difficult time to worry about the way you look, although that does have an affect on how you feel. I'm sure the body will do what the body will do, and it doesn't matter how active or how healthy you eat, the weight will still be there So...at least us women who are trying will be healthy, not skinny. The mental part is the hardest part of this whole thing. If we were all mentally patient and just accepting of what was going on, then there would be a lot less pain. Its so much easier said then done. So to all who are reading these posts, good luck and keep your chin up, but don't be afraid to cry. Keep eating healthy and staying active. Thats the key! Our angel babies would want us to. They don't want to see us depressed.
I found out I had a m/c on Sept. 1st and had a D&E on Sept. 4th.  I had the D&E at around 12 weeks, and the m/c happened around 9.5 weeks. I was 88 lbs before the pregnancy (I am small, but healthy) and was 93 lbs before the D&E.  I went up to 97 (which is a significant weight gain on a smaller frame). I am working out like crazy and eating healthy (I can normally eat whatever I want and not gain weight), and the weight is not coming off.  I am supposed to get my first period after the D&E in another two weeks, so I hope my body gets back to normal. It's hard enough to deal with the loss, and it's added stress to have a pregnant body with no baby.  I just want to feel like myself again.
Just like everyone else, I've been thinking I'm going crazy because I get no real answers as to why I'm gaining weight after my m/c. Like mama_aimee, I also passed out in my husband's arms from the extreme loss of blood. I didn't think I would make it at that point.  I m/c naturally July 27th at 9 1/2 weeks, and was finally prompted to search the issue after gaining another 10 lbs. (I'm now 15 lbs. over my pre-pregnancy weight!).  I'm covered on my back & arms by little bumps, and I was starting to think I had shingles, but it's definitely acne.  I grew out of my fat jeans long ago, and had to break down & buy a couple just to have something to wear to work.  I've had 2 periods since the m/c, and nothing's normal with me yet.

To krad72, you are certainly not too old to wait a little while.  Enjoy your son's preschool years before you give him a sibling.  Our twins were in Kindergarten when I got pregnant, and they're great with their brother.  I am 39 and really didn't plan on getting pregnant again.  I have 3 wonderful children and I'm self-employed.  I thought I was old to be having another, and I met many women who had children in their late 30's and early 40's without any problem.  Most of us thought we were done having children, but we all realized it's not too old to have another.  For me it was initially a shock, then it was relief that we weren't having twins again, then happiness at the idea that we were having another baby (I enjoyed raising our singleton so much), and finally sorrow at the loss of our baby. And although we are not trying for another (the m/c was too traumatic for us), I certainly don't consider 39 too old anymore.
hi,
i'm on my third cycle since my d&e on sept. 4th.  i had gained 5 lbs during the first trimester, and then 4 after the d&e (9 lbs total). i've been losing a little less tan 2 lbs after every cycle. for all the women who have gained weight after the m/c, don't worry.  it's natural to eat more comfort foods, and it take some time to get back to the gym. don't get discouraged. eat healthy and work out, and keep at it, and the results will come when your hormones start to normalize.
I had a missed m/c at 12 weeks in July. It was a planned pregnancy, and would have been my only child  due to the fact that the father just turned 40, and has two daughters already. I took it very hard. To make matters worse, I have been barely eating as I've been so depressed, and nontheless, my weight keeps going up, up and up. I was 135 lbs before pregnancy, which is very slim for my height. The last time I weighed myself, I was a whopping 160! I know I have gained more weight since then, as I was given a bunch of pants by a friend, and am now starting to pop the butttons off them! I was a size seven, am now having a hard time fitting into a 14! I have been trying to get pregnant again, and month after month, keep getting dissapointed. My due date would have been January 25th, maybe after then, I can start healing. I wish I could have gotten pregnant before then, as every month I keep sinking farther and farther into depression. This cycle, if nothing happens, I will have a really hard time coping, especially as my cycle is due to start within a couple days of my old due date.
It is such a slap in the face, that I look about 4-5 months pregnant, have cellulite on my thighs, and even have back fat, with nothing to show for it. Maybe after my bub "would have" been born, it will start coming off-just in time to gain it again :)
I had a m/c about 6 weeks ago I was 14 weeks preggers! And lost our baby to a weak cervix everything else was perfect! Firstly I think that as pregnant women we should instantly demand to have our cervix measured every time we see our obgyn's I feel my doctor neglected me when I went to see her with pains in all the places which would indicate a start of a miscarriage. She did not take me seriously until I ended up in emergency and was diagnosed as a threatened miscarriage. Even after being referred to a high risk doc I was left at a dead end until I switched obgyns! but it was too late!

It was my first pregnancy and I am still lost! It all happened so quickly that by the time you absorb it all..you feel so empty and lost. I also gained more weight after my D&C before that I was hardly gaining any weight! and now I have tried everything to lose it from starving, gyming and just watching what I eat. But perhaps it does take a lot of time for our bodies to heal.

Don't forget your body was making a baby...a miracle and just imagine what it has and is going through not to mention the depression and stress added.

Everything takes time...let your body heal with time and relax...perhaps its already under too much pressure? That is not to say don't eat healthy and exercise! but don't over do it...let it come to its normal terms by it self too.

I have like 15 pounds to lose and trust me in a week I will probably loose like a pound and gain by the next day...its very frustrating...I feel like I have lost enough and I don't want to go through anything else right now...but you face the challenge of looking fat...then go out and see pregnant women or babies which is another challenge!

But never give up! soon things will go your way! i keep praying..and i pray for the son I lost that one day I will see him again and we will have our time together!

I pray for all you mothers who have lost their baby or babies! that you will see them one day in heaven and have all the years together with them as well as your children you had on this earth.

Life can be such a test..such hard things get thrown your way...but all we can do is learn from it all and move forward strong and healthy.

I'm so glad I found this thread.  And to everyone that has posted....I'm sorry for your losses.  I had a MC after my first IVF cycle and only gained 2-3 pounds.  After my second IVF cycle....and MC I have gained 14 pounds in 6 months!!!  This is crazy.....I couldn't believe it when I got on the scale.  I have not changed my eating habits or anything, so I'm not sure what is going on.  It's all in my thighs and stomach area as well, my boobs still hurt, my ovaries cramp and my back KILLS me.  It's horrible.  I don't want to go to my regular doctor because he thinks everything from knee pain to hair loss is depression LOL  My baby was due tomorrow....maybe my body will snap in to action after that?  Gosh....this weight can't stay here....how on earth do you get it off?  I was thinking of joining Weight Watchers but 40.00 a month if it's not going to work and only frustrate me more isn't worth it.  

Oh and thanks to MuseAngel for her post/thoughts on how our body is healing....it was very touching.
As if MC is not bad enough, the weight gain is like insult to injury!!!
I MC'd at four weeks.... then gained about 5 more pounds after that. I am 5' 7" and typically weigh 126 pounds. But since the whole Blighted Ovum issue, I now weigh 136!! I am used to working out all the time, but skipped it for about a month. I have been back at the gym for three weeks now and am starting to feel a little more fit, but the weight is not coming off. I eat low fat, high protien but every time I get on the scale, I want to cry!!! I am also taking water pills...probably not the smartest thing, but it is keeping a few lbs. at bay.
When will the weight come off???? I need my body back!
Thank you thank you for this thread!!! I had a d&c almost 7 weeks ago and have gained 7 pounds - all within 4 weeks and now can't shift the weight. I also watch what I eat, work out etc. I am 7 pounds HEAVIER than I was when pregnant. I had a blighted ovum so the pregnancy lasted 7 weeks (lots of 7's here in my story! :) I've bee feeling VERY down about it and this thread helped a TON! I STILL have not had my period and have never looked forward to something so much in my life! I am hoping that that will be the turning point to my body being normal again!!! it's terrible and i can relate to everyone and I just hope it passes soon!! good luck everyone
cath
I had the same problem. But I had my blood tested and it turned out my thyroid didn't work properly, it had antibodies attacking it which was causing the miscarriages (if your thyroid isn't working, it gets worse when you're pregnant due to the higher demand). But now I recently got medication and should be able to have children normally and also my metabolism will speed up. So my advice is: get your blood tested for thyroid issues. http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/hypochecklist.htm
Another HUGE thank you for this thread!!  I miscarried about a month ago (I would have been 12 weeks but the baby stopped growing at 9.5 weeks).  I had a natural miscarriage, bled really heavily, ended up in the Urgent Care for fluids, stabilization, etc.  After that I have had no complications whatsoever and the bleeding stopped a few weeks ago, everything has been textbook since then.

Except!!  I CANNOT lose this weight that I have put on - and almost ALL of it has been put on AFTER the miscarriage!  When I was pregnant I gained maybe 2-3 pounds, but right now I am up at least 8 and with no signs of losing in sight.  In fact, it seems like if I eat or drink ANYTHING I gain.  I am very active (I'm a yoga instructor, for goodness sakes!) and I have never in my life struggled with losing weight.  In the past when I would decide to drop a couple of pounds, I would up my exercise and drop my calories and the pounds would come off.  Now I seriously feel like this weight is not budging no matter how many hours I spend in the gym, no matter what I eat (or don't eat), etc.

Like many of you, I have not yet started my first cycle back.  I am really hoping that when AF finally comes my body will finish up this healing process and go back to normal - well, however normal it can be anyway.

I also agree with everyone who has said that losing a baby is bad enough - why do we have to add insult to injury with this ridiculous weight gain/bloating?  At least we have each other.  Thanks again for all the comments, they really are helping me anyway.
Hi ,

I lost my baby with 20 weeks and it happened two months ago.I had my period but I did not lose any weight.Actually I gained 3
pounds.Even going to the gym and cutting off carbs.My period is messed up  I have been bleesing about 2 weeks already.I know how everyone feels about.I can not see myself on pics.I am embarressed about my body.I decied give myself 3 months if my body does not get back I will go doctor or start take diets pills.I wish that  all of us c copy quickly what have  happened and get the body back.
Thanks everyone  for sharing that saddly moment of our lifes.
I had a DNC after 16 weeks. The docotrs found many issues with our baby girl. I have started working out again and eating really healthy but I have not lost 1 pound I gained. It has been very very frustrting. So glad to have read your posts!
when i had a m/c last november and it is about 12 + week,it is a big blow for me cos i never dream that going through that situation,since i had 3 living child,i had gain 7 to 8 kg after the m/c and im agree that it is due to depression and hormones, last time after my 3rd child born i do have the same problem but manage to lose it but this time it not as easy as before.Im glad that im not the only one having this problem and nice sharing this with everybody as i been keeping this all awhile by myself as everyone around me always talk about my weight gain and it hurt so much..
OMGosh, I was so glad to come upon this thread. All my friends just keep saying that I am making excuses when I say that the miscarriage and D&C are contributers to me not losing weight.
I had my D&C at the beginning of this year and 4 months later have gained a stubborn 12lbs. I have being watching my diet very closely and have tried many differnet exercise routines including a bootcamp for 5 days a week for a month. Nothing has worked!!
Athough it may not be confirmed by a doctor is sure helps to know that there are others out there experiencing the same thing.
My best of luck to you all!
Hello everyone

I have also really enjoyed reading these posts.  I lost my baby girl at 19 weeks due to Trisomy 13.  I have not managed to lose much of the weight either.  Despite the fact that I watched what I ate and worked out all the way through, nothing seems to be coming off.  I only gained about 12 lbs but it isn't budging.  Interestly though, I had a problem before I got pregnant which confirmed for me, that it is hormones.

I was on the pill for years when I started gaining a substancial amount of weight and feeling badly about myself.  My husband insisted I go off the pill after extensive testing revieled I was physically fine.  After 3 months of being off the pill, I suddenly lost almost 30 lbs in one month.  My Dr said it was hormones.  When I was on the pill, my body thought I was pregnant and was holding on, it took 3 months for it to recognize I wasn't and to get rid of all the estrogen.  I am now trying to relax about the weight and to keep doing things right.   Hopefully my body wont take 3 months to catch on this time, hopefully for all of you, yours wont either.
I gained 4 pounds since I was pregnant (6 wk) and another 8 since the miscarriage which was one month ago today. My hormones feel wacky. My boobs are sore and I feel bloated but just had my period 4 days late. I'm hoping I can get the weight off before getting pregnant again. 12 pounds is a lot to gain in 6 weeks!
I have been reading some of your posts and it has made me happier to know I am not alone.

I had a miscarriage at 6 and a half weeks in January and since then I have gained 2 dress sizes... I am miserable about it.

I have had 2 periods since by choice because I went on the pill straight away and have skipped month ends on purpose because i wasnt emotionally ready to deal with periods... I have had one pack of the first pill and have swapped to another pill now.   I know none of this is helping my body chill out and be healthy again so I have been eating well and exercising a lot more than I used to... but I have lost nothing.

I find it very frustrating, I read it was 6 months but it seems so cruel. One way I am coping is through a blog.
I just had a miscarriage this week at 9 weeks.  It was a blighted ovum.  In just a week I have gained 5 pounds.  I am going back to the doctor next week and I am not leaving there with the depression as an excuse.  I believe god does things for a reason and this pregnancy was just not right.  

If anyone has found a way to get these nasty pounds off please share it with us!!

Ladies I am truly sorry for your losses.  Keep your heads up and believe.  It will happen.
I had a m/c and d&c in Jun at 12wks, since then i have not gained but rather maintained my weight and for some reason my tummy is still the same, it looks like im still pregnant. I dont feel bloated, and I can still feel my abs directly beneath my skin. I dont understand it, has anyone else kept a tummy (not fat) for a while?
I found this website a month ago and was so grateful that it wasn't just me. I decided that if I EVER lost my pregnancy weight, I would write in and let everyone know my story....I miscarried the last week of April at 3 months pregnant. For the longest time afterward, my body was in revolt. I gained another 7 pounds on top of the 10 I gained during my pregnancy, and was threatening to get even bigger. I was miserable and refused to wear maternity clothes or go shopping for new clothes- but even my old 'fat jeans' were tight on me. It seemed like no matter what I did, the weight stayed on. And, if I went out to dinner or a party, I would gain 3 pounds overnight! I would drop 1, gain 3, drop 2, gain 1....it was ridiculous. 2 weeks ago the weight finally started coming off. It was right after I finished my 3rd mestrual cycle. I am down 7 pounds which, after 3 months of agonizing about my weight, seems like a miracle. I'm not doing anything different than I was before- eating healthy, and working on portion control and fewer calories....yada yada yada. I truly believe the only difference is that my body is finally ready to let go. Best of luck to all of you out there. You will eventually start to drop that weight. Until then, give yourself a break and let go of the shame and fear that you will never be back to normal. Much love, Jessica
I'm having the exact opposite problem. I have lost 6 pounds since my miscarriage started 2 weeks ago. I'm feeling very depressed and actually have to force myself to eat. I only ate 2 times a day before I got pregnant, when I found out I was pregnant, I started eating a lot more, I always felt like I was hungry. I'm eating 3 times a day (most days) and am still losing weight.
I was also very happy to see this site.  I randomly googled "weight gain after miscarriage" thinking that there would be nothing out there, but there was.  My experience is very similar to everyone here. I am 5'8  and weighed 120 before pregnancy, I had a miscarriage at 71/2 to 8 weeks.  After the miscarriage , I didn't do anything differently in my eating habits, and I have gained at LEAST 10 pounds, maybe 15 .. I can't fit into any of my clothes , and have been wearing the baggiest things I can find.  My jeans won't fit, and now it's fall, and getting colder.  I could not understand how I could have gained a small amount of weight when I was pregnant, and then packed on 10 plus pounds in only 4 weeks AFTER the miscarriage.  There has to be some kind of hormonal issue with this, something that doctors aren't addressing.  It is bad enough to lose the baby, and the feelings of loss, and then , you can't even look the way you did before.  It really forces you to be very strong, especially when people can see you gained weight, and aren't supportive of what you went through.  I wish everyone here the best, and hope all hormones and bloating settle down soon for all of us.
Hello Ladies, I am so grateful to have found this blog.. We lost out baby 2/09/2010, had 2 D& C's one on the 3/09/2010 and one on the 08/09-2010 Our baby was supposed to be 13 weeks but baby died at 8 1/2 weeks. I have put on a ridiculous amount of weight like 12 kilos and I just cant seem to loose it. I went on a diet a week ago and lost 0.500grams. It is so depressing.. I have a fat tummy and still look pregnant. I have not had a period yet and cant wait, I am hoping the weight will start to come off then. It is so amazing to hear im not the only one. I thought I was being silly thinking it was hormones.. but thank god it seems I was not. I have started swimming 3 times a week and eat really healthy. no carbs and raw food a lot. None of my clothes fit and I don't want to buy new ones. My mother in-law was taking me shopping i didnt go cause I said I wanted to loose the weight. i am just finding it so hard.

thanks for everyone for sharing their stories.. it looks like its helping lots of us

With love KT
I am so glad to have found this blog.    I had a miscarriage on June 19.   I was eight weeks along.   After that, I had a normal cycle on July 27th.  And I haven't had a period since then,  I am also gaining weight, probably 10 pounds since my pregnancy and I keep gaining more.   I took two pregnancy tests both were negative.   Thinking about going to check in with my doctor soon as its been over two months since my last period.  Thanks for sharing all your stories, now I don't feel so alone.    
Wow....so many women in the same boat!! I had a M/C in July. I also had a D&C.I was 11 weeks. I have had two previous healthy pregnancies. I never had problems losing the weight after my babies were born. I actually looked better AFTER I gave birth. Now not only have I joined a gym but I don't eat that much food and I keep gaining daily! I feel bloated and look like I am pregnant even though I am not. I am on synthroid for hypothyroid but my blood levels are all normal. I just don't know what to do anymore!! Like we need this stress! With so many of us experiencing the same problems why don't the Dr's have any answers???
i had a m/c in feb of 09   i had a d&c and after gained 15 pounds n matter what i did i couldnt lose it   i dont really eat when im down so i knew that wasnt the reason     i found out jan of 2010  that i had a massive infection due to the d&c so this is why i gained weight i had surgery and took antibiotics  i lost the 15pounds plus more  so i would def have your doc check yu out  
Hi all,

So glad to have found this forum.  I just had medical management 2 wks today as I miscarried 5 wks ago.  I waited 4 wks to have the miscarriage naturally but didn't happen.  As I had a kidney transplant 2 years ago, I tried for over a year to get pregnant.  So happy then hopes dashed when they couldn't find heartbeat.  I keep telling myself, if i had miscarried, I want it to come out naturally .  It was so hard to believe I lost my so wanted baby.  I have had 2 healthy pregnancies with my EX and this baby is the first with my new partner.  My belly still looks big and I just wish that it will get back to normal soon.  Is it normal to still be bleeding after 2 wks and I still pass clots of tisue?  I feel for all of you as I am going through the same thing.  Just so depressed as all my clothes don't fit.
Im so glad i found this site.i had a miscarriage 4 weeks ago at 16 weeks.the doctor signed me off for 4 weeks so to try not to dwell on what happened i have been to the gym everyday.i dont usually go to the gym at all and i have been eating healthly so i was surprised to put on weight.hearing about the hormone imbalance makes sense to me now, does it really take 6 months to get back to normal?
I've had a similar issue. I have my second miscarriage almost two years ago. And still to this day my stomach will bloat out in the form of a pregnant belly, I've worked out, I've cut back on my diet, I have done everything I can to reduce the bloating in my stomach but nothing works. I fear as though since my miscarriage happened in the public washroom at the Health Science Centre in Winnipeg Manitoba, whereafter the nurse who found me in a pool of my own mucus flushed whatever I had pushed out down the toilet. In the back of my mind I fear as though I'm convincing myself and my body that there still might be something in there, since the stomach pains and bloat happen randomly. It scares me more so to not know exactly why I had two miscarriages also why my body carries the extra fat when I am in the military and I do PT on a daily basis. Anyway ladies you are not alone, I guess all we can do is be strong and keep at it.
I had a m/c in Dec 2010 (D&C at 8 weeks) and gained almost 25lbs, the first 10 during the short pregnancy and the rest after the m/c. My weight peaked a month or two after and I was able to drop about 8lbs after that. But now it's mid-May 2011 (5 months later) and my weight isn't budging. I eat extremely carefully, take thyroid meds, and exercise regularly as usual. I have a closet full of clothes I can't wear because I'm still 15lbs above normal.

I do know that my estrogen was very high in the months after the m/c, and so my doc had me do a liver cleanse to try and clear it out. Hormone levels now seem normal (except for growth hormone, which is low for some reason). It seems clear to me this is a hormonal issue and it must take our bodies time to come back to normal.
how come doctors dont know anything about this?  Could all these smart women who know their own bodys well be wrong about the weight gain. im so glad to have found this forum but i wish i would have known all this ahead of time before i gave in to all the comfort food during the first two weeks.  i just finished my first period and ive gained 5 pounds. all the things that i usually do to lose weight have not worked and im still gaining. its encouraging to hear that maybe since my first period i can start losing.  I completely get not wanting to wear maternity clothes.
and i feel that thru this whole thing i have greived in a healthy way so i dont feel depressed. i still find so much joy in my husband and 2 year old boy. and God has sheltered me from feeling any bitterness.  i still cry sometimes, and i try not to talk too much about it, i find it really hard to say the word miscarrige. not to my husband or in prayer.  these things happen. this world is not perfect and others get over it and go on living and changing. But God is perfect and never changes and will be there for me and my pain as long as i have it.  which i feel in some way i will always have pain over the baby that i never got to see.  But knowing that the first face he saw was the face of Jesus gives me so much comfort.
some of these posts made me sad knowing that some of you women are going thru this all alone.  im so sorry.  thru all this i still feel blessed beyond anything that i deserve. and i wanted to send this out there, that God is good, no matter what He is good. it was the first thing i said when i found out that i lost the baby, and i wanted to tell it to any one who will listen to it.  No matter how alone you may feel, no matter what youve done in life, God loves you so much that He sent His son Jesus to die for your sins. only now am i a little closer to realizing how painful that must have been for our loving God. Come to Jesus, His arms are open wide and His peace is perfect and unlike anything that this world can give.
Had miscarriage about a month ago.. (this is now my third/1living) hmm.. bleeding is heavier at certain times.. it's weird, but I did have an infection but its better now :) I was a little underweight starting out, but had gained 5 lbs in pregnancy but since then have gained an additional 15 lbs.. no lie! :) But I'm swollen so I feel super off and almost out of my body.. almost scary ;)
-D
I had a MC at 7 weeks and a D&C in April. I got my period back after 6 weeks, but my body isn't just the same. It's hard to fit into my pants (I bought those detachable buttons to expand the waistband), I constantly feel tired and bloated. I look like I'm prego. I've also noticed more migraines which come approximately the same time every month. I feel like I have digestive problems, but that's how I felt when I was pregnant as well. Is it possible that our bodies still think that it has to nourish the womb??
omg at my wits end and then I read this. My story is so similar  ... Had a number week long pregnancies and 2 missed miscarriage over 12 months. Now, 3 months after my last miscarriage, I have gone nearly 10 lbs up. I only gained 1-2 lbs during the pregancies (the longest probably ended at 9 weeks) (so, was up to 123 at my d&c). Now, am eating extremely carefully and exercising. I will admit I had probably ate some chocolate once or twice after the last miscarriage, but in three months, I've been pretty strict. My weight has FINALLY stabilized (knock on wood that it not go up anymore), but am not losing. I will also spontaneous bloat up in my hands and face, retaining lbs of extra water for goodness knows what reason. I seem to be having more bloating in my belly than ever before. I look five months pregnant! I feel frustrated. Like everyone else here. Saddened by the losses, and frustrated with my body.

I shall try creative visualization, and picture my body balancing itself again. My doctor is unwilling to even test my hormone levels other than thyroid ...

Well, if it takes 6 months to recover from a miscarriage, I guess I still have 3 to go.

If I figure it out, I'll let you guys know!

best wishes everyone. I wish you all strength, peace, compassion, and health.
donot worry much about weight. even i went through i become 91 during my 9th month of pregnancy.  i was 85 after delivery.i tried a no. of diets and gained back.thanks to rijuta diwakar ( kareena kapoor dietician) she wrote a book called donot ose u r mind lose u r weight.earlier after i tried all other diets i lost weight 3-4 kilos in  to 7 to 10 days becomes weak.and gained much more after that.i folowed miss. diwakar simpe principles now i am energetic and my life changed alll together.now i am 63gs  within one year.no gym kust exercising and yoga for 3 hrs daily kust started some 3months back.folow the book.u will love it.
Hi all,

I miscarried in December 2009 and couldn't shift the weight - in total I have gained around 18 lbs. Whatever I did, how much exercising I was doing every day, nothing helped, same like many of you here.I figured it must have been water retention, because fat normally responds to exercise. I thought I would tackle this by different foods I give to my body. I have excluded most common food allergens like wheat, cheese, any diary product including milk, eggs, red meat and processed foods and replaced them with alternatives like soya products instead of diary, rice cakes instead of bread etc.... I started loosing weight (peeing it all out) and lost around 10 lbs in a week and a half. It is hard to follow this diet when there are so many restrictions, but once you customize yourself to it, it gets easier. I on the top felt millions time better then when I was eating wheat and all the stuff that I excluded. Hope this helps - I found that nothing besides this has worked for me in the past. Good luck to everyone trying to win this battle and frustration - there is nothing worse then unable to manage your weight despite best efforts. Love & Hugs
I had D&C early Jul. And I gained more weight after that which made me wonder if I got pregnancy again. I just tested it today. It showed negative. I started jogging a few days again. But it doesnt't help lose any weight. I really feel bad about all these weight gain.
i have the same thing going on. i have my dnc on july 31 2011 .am a small build lady  ,i have gain about 15 pound and i cant get rid off it i feel like a cow  with a belly looking like  4 month pregnant and cellulite like crazy  and still using  my pregnant cloths because nothing fist right and it suck am feeling so down even after my hubby  tells me am pretty
Does your belly still show if you miscarried? What if you don't know you miscarried because your stomach still looks big?
I had a m/c and D&C on Sept.14,2011. I have not gained anymore weight but my stomach is getting bigger. I look like I am 4 mths pregnant. I was 10 weeks when the m/c happened. I thought I was crazy. We were not planning to have another baby. Our daughter is 11 years old. We were shocked at first but it did not take long to get excited. I know that I am still depressed. I was eating all the wrong things. I am trying to go back on weight watchers. I had lost 30# before I got pregnant. I still had more to lose. I refuse to go buy bigger clothes. I catch myself rubbing my belly. I am hopping that I will start to lose weight. It was hard enough dealing with the grief of the m/c and now I am just watching my belly get bigger and know that there is no baby. I hate seeing a pregnant woman or I newborn. I am starting to be able to handle it a little better now. I hope I will be able to lose the weight. I am so glad I found this blog. At least I know that I am not the only one. Thank You
I miscarry my baby on september 2nd and I am having the same problem.  It seems like my body "feels" pregnant, and my belly is growing incontrollably.  At the beginning I was eating out of comfort, but now I am watching what I eat and I am still gaining weight.  It is driving me nuts.  I just feel I cannot do this anymore!
you have no idea how much reading this helped me. I had a miscarriage a month  and a half ago. I was 13 weeks along. have been going out of my mind, I've barely eaten but am gaining wait like crazy, my hair keeps falling out and the moodswings,,, don't even get me started... I thought I was loosing my mind untill I read your stories and saw I wasn't the only one going through this.
so sorry for everybodys loss.

thank you so much
Did this ever correct? How long does it take? I was very ill while I was pregnant and ate very little because of constant sickness. I still gained a few pounds which had to be all baby because I was barely able to handle anything.....I also did not know I was pregnant at the time so I did not force myself to eat more. When I found out how far I was I tried as best as possible to change the bad habbits but I still lost the baby at 11 weeks. I am 2 weeks after a natural mc and I am still sicky feeling most of the time and cannot even depression eat. After about 2 months of a small portion diet (maybe 800-900 total calories a day) I am still sitting 8 pounds heavier than I was before the dr estimated date of pregnancy.
Hi, I just had a miscarriage and putting on more weight than I ever have. I believe it may have something to do with depression but I also feel as thought Im still eating for two.. It sounds strange I know..but Im always hungry and Iv never been a bit eater even during depression.
kay x
I, too just had a very early miscarriage (@4 weeks) and hadn't gained any weight yet.
2 weeks later, I try to get my work pants back on to go back to work, and am having trouble getting them done up. I have gained about 5 pounds, but I have been eating healthier. There must be something to this!
What a relief to read all these comments - i had a missed miscarriage on feb 7th hemorraged really badly and just last week (4th April) had to have erpc to see if they could remove remaining products. Like a lot of other people i'm experiencing drastic weight gain i was 11 stone before pregnancy and am now 13 - its really embarrassing and upsetting when people ask if im pregnant. Feel like starving myself but am convinced i will still gain - as if miscarrying isnt bad enough then for our bodies to react like this seems so unfair
Same same same for me!!! Work out, eat right and my belly sticks out more than boobs haha! And its been a year for me:( But what I really wanted to say was it looks like there is a huge population of us women with the same issue and no answers! Lets all write Dr.Oz and see if he can do a show on this issue!! Be blessed everyone!
I had a D&C in April of 2012 and I am still struggling with weight gain.  My stomach sticks out like I'm pregnant even more (it seems) than it did after my son was born in 2010.  My friend reminded me that I had breastfeeding to help me with losing the weight back then.  Aside from eating for comfort which is an issue, I think there is something else going on.  In many ways I feel like I am still pregnant, so maybe after the due date passes on 9/30 I can release that feeling.  Maybe that will help.  It feels better to see that other women are having this experience, and I hope you all find comfort and peace during this difficult time of our lives.
I found out i had a blighted ovum at about 8.5 weeks. The ovum's gestational age was only 6 weeks. I waited to miscarry and didn't. I carried this for an additional 1.5 weeks. I started to feel very sick and tired and finally I got scheduled for a D and E. Anyway, that was 6 weeks ago and I have put on 10 pounds since that time. When the D and E first happened I didn't really grieve it, but now 5 to 6 weeks later, my emotions are up and down. I just had my first period 2 weeks ago, so it's nice to know my body is recovering, but I am just so sad, angry, and tense. Did anyone else notice weight gain and moodiness 6 weeks after the pregnancy ended? Just wondering.
I was 8 weeks and had a misscarriage. I also have gained weight since procedure. It is a very hard time .  
Ohh, it's good to know that i am not alone here! It's my second mc on the row:( Really sad and frustrated....and now this weight gain...damn hormones:(
I've been experiencing the same thing!  I wasn't active and really depressed for a wekk after the miscarriage, but my fiance said we were going to try again.  So i sucked up my pain and started exercising like and eating healthy.  It's been 3 weeks since I lost the baby and I've gain 13lbs!  I hope this stops soon, I'm in the military and can't gain weight.