Miscarriages Community
When to have an ultrasound after a natural miscarriage?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

My doctor set up an ultrasound for this morning, about two and a half days after I started miscarrying. Is that too soon? About right? I'm concerned because of things I read warning against inserting anything after a miscarriage. And also because every day for the last two days, I thought I was done (bleeding slowed, no cramping) and then I had more bleeding, pain and something resembling contractions and I passed large clots and tissue. I may be through, but if I'm not, will i have to go for another ultrasound? How long is it safe to wait before getting one? Friday is my only other option, and then it's a long weekend.
I just a a natural miscarriage on 8/5.  I passed everything at about 11:30PM and I had my u/s the next morning at 9:45 to make sure I passed everything.  You shouldn't have to worry about infection, the doctors take all precautions.  You don't want to use a tampon because a lot of bacteria sit on the tip of the cotton and that could be bad, but using the internal u/s wand with a condom sould be okay.  Once they do the u/s they will decide if anything is left and if you will be able to pass it on your own.  They didn't see anything left in me; however, they did tell me i might gat one ot two small clots and not to worry because that will be just the remaining lining that every woman passes during their normal monthly cycle, we would just have a little more of it because we were actually pregnant.  If you do have anything let that might be placenta or something, they might schedule you for a D&C and remove it all for you.  I think you will be safe to wait until Friday, since you believe you are still passing some of it, you might be able to pass it all by the time of the u/s.  I hope this was helpful, wishing you future healthy baby dust!
Thank you so much for your timely and thoughtful response. I was greatly reassured by it. They weren't able to give me a Friday appointment so I went ahead and had mine today. They told me exactly the same thing you were told - it's almost all gone, but I might get a couple of small clots. So I guess all is well.
You know, it's extraordinary to me how little information is made available to women about this experience. I really didn't know what to expect -- had no idea it would be kind of painful, or how long it would take. I actually wasn't even told about not using a tampon. It was only thanks to sites like this one, and the advice of people like you, that I was able to prepare myself. Angelbaby indeed -- thank goodness for your wisdom and the wisdom of other women who've been through these things. Wish you all the best, too, and a happy, healthy future with baby, or babies -- as many as you might want! :)
I completely agree, everything I read on miscarriages were not as informative as I had hoped.  I also agree with you on the unexpected pain!  I have never had a child before, but I could feel my uterus contracting and had hard sharp back pain that started in my tailbone and ended in my sholder!!!  Everything I read said it would just feel like a heavier period with slightly stronger cramps - either I have very light periods or everything I read on miscarriages were grossly underestimated!!  I have never felt confortable posting on any site until I found this; there is nothing like getting questions answerd and just sharing with real people who have been where you are now or who are going through it themselves.  I have learned so much and I hope to be able to pass it on to anyone I can help in return.  Good luck to you!
Hi, So I am still in the process of having a miscarriage. I passed the bulk of it (I hope) yesterday at 11:30am, but then woke up this am with really strong cramps again. I also think that all of the information I read did NOT prepare me. It was really, really painful. Stabbing abdominal pain and back pain. It was hard to even sit. I was also driving home from a conference... so not the best combination. I spoke with my Dr today and she doesn't think an ultrasound is necessary. I was about 7 weeks when I found it wasn't viable, 8 weeks when it started. She just wants to check my HCG level on Wednesday...no ultrasound. Should I have one?
Thanks.