Miscarriages Community
When will I have a period?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

When will I have a period?

Hi.  I'm new hear and want to here from anyone who has experienced anything similar to my situation please!!

I had a miscarriage removal procedure on 31st Mar 09 at 11 weeks and I'm STILL waiting for my periods to return.  At the hospital I was told that I shoudl see them in 6-8 weeks after the procedure but at my 6 week check-up with my GP, he told me it can take up to 6 months for a period!!  I'm at my 5 month point now and feel so anxious that there may be something wrong.  Everyone I've read about have had a period wihtin weeks after a miscarriage so this doesn't seem to be a common problem as my GP seemed to suggest.  Was he just trying to shut me up and get on to his next appointment?
hi first im sorry for your loss...i had my baby at 15 weeks along with a d and c that was almost 3 weeks ago my bleeding has completely stoped now am waiting for a period to start in the next 2 weeks or so....but as you know everyones body is diff but i think that you are right i have not talked to any ladies on here who has not had theres within a few weeks afterwards so i would get a second opinion just to be safe but i hope everything is ok and goodluck to you
I was told that you should get your period between 4-8 weeks after your D&C procedure or after you have a natural m/c. I definitely agree with in_memory_of_weston. I would definitely get a second opinion from another doc just to be sure. I've never heard of anyone on here still not having a period by then unless they are preg. Is there any chance you are preg??
I had a miscarriage end of June, had my D&C June 30th.  I got my first period 29 days after, and I believe I am starting my second period now.  I was on the pill for 10 years right before I got pregnant.  So, things seems to be getting regular even though my body has been through a lot.  If I were in your situation, I would for sure go to another doctor to get a second opinion.  You could be pregnant.  If not, I have heard of this happening to others and they could give you some hormones to kick your cycles into gear.  
Hi I am sorry for your loss. I had a M/C in April on the 9th. I got my period 8 weeks after the bleeding had stopped I was only 5 weeks. It depends on how far along you are and your body. You should be going back to the doctors to have blood taken to check your HCG level every week. As long as the HCG hormone is in your system you won't get your period untill it reaches 0. They also say that women who had naturally miscarraiges without a D&C take longer to get there periods. I do agree with everyone on here. Go get a 2nd look just to be on the safe side. Good luck!
Thank you ladies for all of your comments.  I am sorry for your losses too adn hope we can all move on together.

After my 6 wk check up, I was advised to choose a type of contraception until my periods restarted to get my body 'back on track', so I went back on the pill.  After my EPRC (D&C), I stopped bleeding after about 2 wks and haven't seen a drop since!  I am just approaching my 5th month after the procedure and hope to see a period this wkend...fingers crossd for me!!!  If nothing appears, I am definitely going to see my GP to get this sorted.  I have never been told about any checks for HCG levels or any further check ups since the 6 wk one...I guess this is the British way!!

Well, wish me luck!  Any further advice will always be appreciated :)

Kaz,

When I had my first miscarriage I did not have a period for about 3 months. When I finally did get my period again my cycles were very irregular (longer amount of days between cycles) for about 8 months which made it quite hard to figure out when I would be ovulating because I wasn't sure when to start taking ovulation tests.

Everyone's body is different so there really is no set time of when your period will return. My personal opinion is that "a watched pot never boils" so the less you think about it maybe the sooner it will come for you.

Best of luck and well wishes.
-wantababy19