Miscarriages Community
Where is my period after molar pregnancy?!

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

In July of this year I found out that I was pregnant. Like any 18 year old college student I flipped out but soon became more excited. My boyfriend and I had talked about adoption because we both decided neither of us could provide a good life for the child nor would we have he hear to terminate an innocent life. When I went in for an ultrasound at an estimated 6 or 7 weeks the nurse practitioner was unable to detect fetal heartbeat. She measured what have been the fetal sac but was unsure of the situation. She said that I was most likely to miscarry. My heart was torn to pieces. I was determined to get a second opinion so I went to another clinic and again no fetal heartbeat. I was becoming more worried. Weeks later I started bleeding, I mean HEAVY bleeding. My cramps were insane and unexpectedly I started vomiting everything I consumed even just plain water. I was in sheer misery. I hardly slept at all. This of course was not normal so I went to the ER finally! The doctor said that I was going through a complete molar pregnancy and that it was a very rare issue. He said that it would have to be removed by D&C. I was scheduled for D&C 2 days later and the surgery came out successful with minor concerns such as losing some blood. I felt better though and I assumed things would be okay. I bled for about 2 weeks then stopped. I still had cramping in my waist area but nothing like before. The month after that (this all happened in August), I started feeling cramping like menstrual cramping only a tad bit worse. I thought I was going to start my period, instead I only bled lightly. This frustrated me very much. Since then I have been bleeding randomly. The bleeding does not last very long but there was one instance when my blog was a dark red. What's going on with my body? Is it ever going to go back to normal? I was returning to my normal weight after surgery but now I'm gaining weight like never before. I can honestly say it's the fattest I've ever been and it's driven me to a little depression. I just want to be normal again!
I don't know much about molar pregnancy, but will assume that given the fact that you had a d&c, the aftermath is similar.

It can take a few months for your body to reregulate as it goes through many hormonal changes during both the pregnancy, and the loss.  I have had 3 d&c's and typically it takes 5 to 6 weeks to get my period, but it isn't uncommon for them to be irregular with more then normal mid cycle spotting.  It sounds like you have perhaps had a period, just not a normal one.

Given that this was a molar pregnancy, I am assuming they are doing some follow up?  If not, make a Dr.'s appointment and discuss the issue with them.  My first reaction is to say that things will probably go back to normal soon, but given that it's been 2 months and it was molar, plus the unusual weight gain, I do think you should see your Dr.

All the best to you, and I am so sorry for your loss.