Miscarriages Community
how many days does bleeding last after D&C

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Hi, I had D&C done last 3 days ago and I just wanted to know how long does the bleeding last after you've undergone the procedure.  I was pregnant with my first child at 5wks & 5 days.  After weeks of waiting, when the baby should've been at its 7th week, it did not grow & stayed at 5 wks.  My doctor had to advise a D&C to terminate the pregnancy.  My doctor told me that I will be bleeding but forgot to mention how long it usually last.  Anybody who has experienced the same and can give me information will be much appreciated.  Thank you!
I had my d&c yesterday. doctor told me bleeding should last anywhere from a couple of days to a week or a little more.
I was supposed to be eight weeks tomorrow. sorry about your loss.
Hi Coco

Sorry for your loss.

My experience is just the same as urs. I found out on my 12 week scan that I had a silent miscarriage ( missed miscarriage) and also had to have the D&C. On average it lasts up to 1-2 weeks. Mine lasted 2 weeks, but some woman can have few days bleeding, but on average most women will bleed for 1-2 weeks and it's normal.

Once the bleeding has stopped completly, then within 2-3 weeks u will get ur 1st period and u will notice that you cycles will have changed. I have a 33 day cycle, but on my 1st period after the D&C , my cycle lengh was 21 days and my 2nd cycle about around 24-25 days and my 3rd period went up to 26 day cycle, so it slowly returning to normal, but can take up to 5-6 months, and sometimes it may just slightly change to what it was.

As long as ur periods are not shorter than 21 days that your ok. I am sure you will be completlyn fine though.

I have also been reading up that you can take extra folic acid, so that's what am doing now it, found out that it renews/repairs the cells (DNA Cells) so it's really good for you. I also take pregancy tablets that you can buy from most shops, Boots etc...

Miscarriage is such an awful experience to go through. I was told the fetus fied around week 5 too.

If u have anymore questions, pls ask

After my D&C I bled for 10 days (at the end it was VERY light, but I still counted it).  Everyone is different.  I also got pregnant 6 weeks after the D&C (found out 8 weeks after) so know that you are fertile.  I got one period and got pregnant in that cycle.  My cycles returned to their normal schedule, but everyone is different.

My pregnancy after the D&C was GREAT and I had a healthy son (no problems/issues at all).  So there is hope when you are ready.

Sorry for your loss.  I am going through my second miscarriage now (opted for the natural route this time) and it is devastating.  Wish someone could explain why things happen.  Everyone keeps saying "it's very common to miscarry.  MOst people don't realize how common it is".  IT doesn't feel common when it's you :(
After my d&c I spotted for a day and a half, then nothing.  So far its been 5.5 weeks since and have yet to get my period. Everyone is different. I was 11 weeks,.while the sac had stopped growing at 8. No baby developed (blighted ovum).
I just had my second dnc last Thursday. First time a year go was awful no bleeding then 4 days later tons of bleeding and passing more stuff. Period came 6 weeks after dnc 2 nd cycle was back to normal. This time had a different Dr and only spotting but still some pain so I think it depends on your body plus how gooda job your Dr did. Monitor your temp for signs of infection
So sorry that you had to go through that. I have been pregnant 11 times. This last time the baby stopped growing at 8 weeks and I found out at 11 weeks. Due to my immune system, we decided to do a d&c. No matter how many times a person miscarries, it does not got any easier. I promise. And no matter what, It never feels normal. I am sorry for your loss and I pray for your physical and emotional recovery.
Hello. Three weeks after my d&c i experienced heavy bleeding with so much pain. I go to the hospital and my ob told me that my cervix is open and it has an infection. Im so much worried about it. Any advice please?