Miscarriages Community
miscarriage at 18 weeks

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

miscarriage at 18 weeks

what are some reasons my water would break at 18 week of pregnancy? i
I found this for you:

Losing a baby within the first twenty weeks is no easy trial. There are numerous factors that increase the risk of a miscarriage. The good news is that even with all those factors, the chances of a recurrence are slim. The risk even takes a "nose dive" after the first 12 weeks. All-in-all, though the risk factors are many, a great deal of them may be avoided to ensure a better chance of carrying full-term.

A miscarriage is when a pregnant woman loses her baby within the first twenty weeks, and anytime after that is considered a stillbirth. Miscarriages are more common than people think. As a matter of fact, about 25 percent of women who become pregnant have a miscarriage at some point in their life. It can even happen early enough that the woman never knows she was pregnant. Between 15 and 20 percent of all diagnosed pregnancies end in a miscarriage in the first or early second trimester.

Chance chromosomal errors that occur while the embryo is first developing are the chief causes of most first trimester miscarriages. Unfortunately, some factors are simply unavoidable:

1) Age increase, especially after 35
2) Uterine fibroids, or noncancerous growths in the uterus that can go
undetected due to lack of symptoms, and other gynecological problems
3) Autoimmune disease, which is when the body mistakenly believes the fetus is
a threat and attacks it
4) History of two or more miscarriages

While other factors may be easier to side-step:

1) Using over the counter medications such as Ibuprofen or Aleve, naproxen
sodium, during early pregnancy
2) Alcohol or drug use during pregnancy
3) Cigarette smoking during pregnancy
4) Exposure to dangerous chemicals such as benzene, arsenic, or formaldehyde,
during pregnancy
5) Heavy caffeine use during pregnancy
6) Disease or infection while pregnant
7) Physical trauma while pregnant

Recent studies are beginning to show that low folic acid levels may also increase the risk of a miscarriage. Though very rare, it is possible to miscarry three or more times, especially if the woman has an underlying medical problem, such as one of the following:

1) Polycystic ovary syndrome, or a hormonal imbalance that interferes with
normal ovulation
2) Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, or a blood clotting disorder in which
the carrier's blood clots too quickly
3) Chromosome abnormality in one or both parents

Again, having three or more miscarriages is highly unusual.

Despite all the risks, carrying full term is obviously quite possible. Women who have previously had miscarriages are fully capable of having a child another time. Symptoms of a miscarriage include lower back and abdominal pain, vaginal bleeding or tissue passing, and fevers and sometimes sweating. Counseling is highly recommended, because so many women who miscarry blame themselves, and it is more often than not something out of their hands. After that first heartbeat pounds out on the ultrasound, it is all worth it. Avoid all the risks that can possibly be avoided, and motherhood will be right around the corner with her arms outstretched.

* DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor. This article is for informational purposes only. I am not liable for anyone's actions as a result of what I have written. All of my information is from my own personal experience and information from web searches, primarily WebMD.com. I urge readers to consult their doctors and further research before making any major decisions.
I miscarried at 22 weeks.  We still do not know why.  I had preterm labor but did not know I was in labor because I was suffering from hydronephrosis of my right kidney and the pain was excruciating!  I'm sorry for your loss!