miscarriage at 20 weeks
this is not so much as a question but as here for a bit of info. i was going to my 20 weeks scan to find out what my baby was ( which i was so excited) and at the scan i got told that my baby had saldy passed away 4 weeks earlier, but at the midwife appoinmnet at 18 weeks the babys heartbeat was 120-125( according to the midwife) but the hospital said its been died for 4 weeks. i had no cramps, bleeding no signs what ever to even indercate that some thing was wrong. i found out on thur 18th aug and i was in hospital on the 19th aug for a planned miscarriage. on sat afternoon i had 2 tablets to start me off in labour as if u pass the 14 week stage ur baby is too big just to take what ever and then 3 hours later i had enough 2 meds which is when the contractions started and then i had my little boy at 8pm sat evening. it is so so so so hard to go through labour and have nothing at the end of it. i struggled big time, no eating or drinking, ended up having a fit coz of it and from then i needed to be strong. u will struggle its not a easy thing too do but u will get there i promiss. i felt that i couldnt do any thing but with the help with other people that have been through the same thing as you have, u find it alot easier to cope and to know ur not on ur own.
Ultrasounds are usually pretty accurate.  If the ultrasound showed that the baby was only measuring 16 weeks (when you thought you were 20 weeks) then I would trust that.  Were you able to hear the heartbeat as well at your 18 week appointment with your midwife?  If you weren't able to hear or see it on the doppler, then I probably wouldn't believe her, especially after the ultrasound said something different.  

I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope you are able to get some answers.