Miscarriages Community
spotting at 10 weeks

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

spotting at 10 weeks

I posted this on the 35+ forum as well .. but thought it might belong here too

Hi .. has anyone had spotting at 10 weeks to go on with a healthy pregnancy?  I just started spotting this morning and am so worried.  The clinic doesn't want to see me unless it gets heavier but I am so stressed that something is going wrong.  I have been feeling exhausted but yesterday I actually had more energy than usual and my boobs aren't as sore as they were.  Is this a loss of symptoms?

I had a scan last friday (4 days ago) and the heartbeat was 184 and baby measuring normal .. is it possible to miscarry this soon after seeing a healthy bub.

I am so so worried!! This is my first pregnancy and we have been trying to conceive for 4 years .. this is our 2nd round of IVF and we have been counting down the days to the end of the 1st trimester when we can relax a bit ... I thought that getting to 10 weeks meant there was much less chance of miscarriage.

If anyone could help, that would be great.  
I have heard of several women who have spotted throughout the 1st trimester and had healthy babies.
It does happen, seeing a heartbeat or see the baby and a few days later, the HB will stop. That happened to me a little early in my pregnancy. But that is no reason to think that it is happening to you. I never spotted.
I think several things could cause spotting. Just take it easy and call your doctor. I hope everything is ok, more than likely, it is. Good luck and keep us posted.
I had some bright red spotting at 10 weeks 6 days.  It happened on a Friday.  That Monday of that week I also had an ultrasound done (due to a cyst on my ovary) which showed a healthy baby with a heartbeat in the 170's and he/she was wiggling all around.  Then I started to spot.  I called my OB and they let me come in.  I even had some tiny tiny clots.  I had no idea I was even spotting.  I just went to the bathroom and there was a quarter sized spot of bright red blood on my underwear.  I had no cramping or anything.  So I went to the doctors and they did an internal exam where they did see a little active bleeding.  So they sent me for another ultrasound.  To my relief the baby grew and the heartbeat was still strong.  The ultrasound tech told me that there was (and has been but nobody bothered telling me before this) a pocket of blood in between the placenta and my cervix.  It most likely happened when the baby implanted and that the spotting was gravity just pulling it down.  So the good news is I am now 18 weeks and 3 days!!!!!!!.  So far things are going well.  Hopefully they stay that way!!!!!  Good luck to you and I hope yours if nothing to worry about as mine was nothing to worry about.  
I actually bled my whole first trimester around the time I was due for my period.  It was so scary but everything was just fine!  The bleeding would go on for about a week on and off and then turned brown.  I always took it easy around the times I was bleeding just to be safe.  My little boy is now almost 11 months.  We had a sad loss and it took us a while but he is here and healthy.  The very best to you!!!!
Hi tone
I wouldn't be too concerned.  My sister had quite a lot of brown blood at 10 weeks for about a week and she had a healthy boy 10 years ago.  I think you can miscarry at any stage and have no hope in getting past the first trimester because I miscarried at 14 weeks and 2 days.  
Spotting is very normal and seeing a heartbeat only a few days is hopeful.  They do say it could be the baby attaching to the placenta which causes a bit of bleeding around that time.

Stay hopeful and you should be fine!!!!!  Goodluck
thanks so much for all your comments ... I have stopped spotting and am now analysing every twinge .. I just hired a doppler so I can be reassured .. hopefully I will be able to hear a hb when it arrives ... the hospital won't do a check up unless the bleeding gets heavy so need something.

What makes it worse is that I have had more energy the last few days .. not the huge exhaustion that I've been suffering .. It's nice to not feel like that but I kind of wish that I did .. I will post on here to let you know how things go

thanks for all the support!!
HI

My friend went through a similar situation just recently.  She was seeing red blood when she was in the shower for about a week when she was 10 weeks and she is now 16 weeks and she has heard the hb.  She also said she didn't feel pregnant so maybe it is the placenta taking over all the week which happens around that time.

Hoping and praying everything will be fine
Here's my story: I am 38 years old.  I have had 1 blighted ovum and 3 miscarriages in the past 5 years.  I never spotted with anyone of those (except when I finally lost them at 5 weeks, 8 weeks, 9 weeks, etc).  Now I am pregnant (11weeks & 4 days) and have spotted throughout this pregnancy, and it keeps holding on!!  I am fortunate enough to be an RN in Radiology, where I have the lovely US techs at my disposal to humor me whenever I get  acramp or a spot of blood.  Had spotting last night and was frantic until this am when i went to work.  Baby is fine (baby's mom =  not-so-much!).  Sending warm thoughts your way.  I have been there.  Keep us posted, sweetie.
you are so lucky to be able to have such regular check ups .. I am going crazy waiting for my 12 week scan next friday .. 11 days to go .. I hired a doppler as I was so anxious, but as I have a retroverted uterus, I haven't been able to hear a hb yet .. the lcd screen occassionally shows up what looks like the baby's heartbeat (between 140-170) but no sound .. I can hear the whooshing noise which I think is my placenta and sometimes my heartbeat sneaks in there but am hanging out for the bub's .. I will try to leave it till the end of the week when I'm officially 11 weeks and try again

I am still feeling tired but not as bad as I was, and still have breast pain so keep telling myself that all is well in there but I really need that confirmation!  We have tried over 4 years for this baby with a few chemical pregnancies along the way so would be completely devastated if anything went wrong.  I'm not a very patient person either so that's not helping.

Anyway .. good luck with getting to the 2nd trimester for you!  that will be such a relief I imagine! x
well ..its happening again now at 11 weeks .. bright red blood when I wiped and now on a pad .. I am going crazy again with worry but re-reading all your comments is helping .. I will  call the hospital soon if it gets any heavier  I really hope everything is OK ..
Try not to worry.  It could just be the baby attaching to the placenta.  I was told when I miscarried that you have bleeding when the placenta takes over.  I have a friend that bled red blood for a week at that time and she is about 17 weeks pregnant and has heard her little bean.  She messaged me saying that she saw it coming out in the shower and then it went light during the rest of the week.

If you are not having clots, cramping or back pain don't alarm yourself.  Stay positive!!!!!  I would order bed rest!!!!!  If you are not filling a pad in an hour you should be ok!!!  Just try and rest and wait it out, you'll be fine but please keep in touch!!!!
bad news I'm afraid ..the spotting stopped but I went into the hospital anyway and insisted on a scan .. they couldn't find a heartbeat and bub measured at 10 weeks and I'm 11 .. so the heart stopped beating about 4 days after the last scan .. and it was the day that I got the brown discharge.

Its been an awful day .. I decided that I couldn't deal with passing the fetus naturally .. that that would be too traumatic seeing my baby at a 10 weeks ... so opted to have a d & c .. so now bar bleeding ... its all over .. can't quite believe it .. it feels so surreal

thank you ladies for all your support .. I greatly appreciate it and wish you all happy successful pregancies. xx