Mood Disorders Expert Forum
Is this more than just depression?

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

Is this more than just depression?

Hello!

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for about a year now and have been diagnosed with depression, but I am starting to believe something more is going on. A few weeks ago, I went through a week where I was having some strange thoughts. I believed that my life was some sort of television show and that no one else was real except for me and only there to create situations. I also believed that I have special powers or abilities to see/hear spirits as I was seeing and hearing things that weren't there. I did also experience hallucinations as a child (which stopped at around 8 or something) so I was not scared by what I was experiencing. And although I believed those things, I knew that what I was seeing and hearing was not actually real. No one around me suspected a change in my behaviour.

I am now 'back to normal' and I did mention all this to my psychiatrist - but wasn't happy with what she said back to me. In fact, she didn't say much at all. She seemed unsurprised at what I said, and said it was probably just anxiety along side the depression. I can't help but feel there is something more going on, and I am looking for a second opinion. Do you think I should me worried, or trust my psychiatrist?
I definitely feel that her explanation is not adequate. The main question is whether or not you might not have understood her assessment completely. I encourage you to talk to her about your concerns. I think that a second opinion might be helpful.