Mood Disorders Expert Forum
Medication combo

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

Medication combo

Can you please tell me about these drugs that I am on:

Haldol 0.5 mg twice a day, Trazodone 50 mg and Doxepin 50 mg for my anxiety and depression symptoms, can you please tell me if these are all okay to take together and am I suppose to take these with food or milk? Is Haldol a dangerous drug combined with the other two medications?

I appreciate your advice.

YES!  The clearing of my throat is a habit for me as I keep doing this on a daily basis and I do this ~~constantly during the day~~ all the way up until I go to bed, even then, I do it in bed as I am trying to sleep it is very annoying and upsetting to ME and my partner.  Will Haldol help with this and do you consider this drug to be dangerous for me to take on a daily basis?
1 Comment
It is okay to take those medications together.
Haldol and Doxepin can be taken with or without food. Trazodone should be taken with a small amount of food.
You asked twice whether Haldol is a dangerous drug. All drugs can be dangerous. (For instance, the number one cause of drug induced liver failure in this country is Tylenol). However, Haldol is generally pretty safe. In particular, at the dose you are taking it should be quite safe.
However, you should review drug information about potential adverse effects from this medication, as for all medications. PubMed Health offers balanced medication information for almost all medications. The information for Haldol is at this link -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000604/
I hope that helps.