Mood Disorders Expert Forum
Possible Phentermine as mood lifter

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

Possible Phentermine as mood lifter

Hi my question I guess could be under the weight-loss forum too but is it possible to experience a better mood while taking the drug Phentermine?  I have been taking it for about 5 or 6 months now and have noticed that I really feel much better taking it.  I've gone maybe a few day's at a time missing it and then when I take it again I just feel so much better.  I have lost around 30lbs so far. I must mention too that I'm also on 20mg of Citrophram for a little mood lifter as well.  Is there something with the combination of the two that makes a difference?  Because most people speak of having the reserve effect with the Phentermine I didn't know.  Thanks
Phentermine is a sympathomimetic amine with pharmacologic activity similar to amphetamines. Actions include central nervous system stimulation and elevation of blood pressure.
As with other medications in this class mood effects are quite variable. But there are case reports of mania and psychosis, so it probably does have somewhat of a "mood elevating" effect.
Your observation about noticing the change when you stopped the medication could be due to the direct effect (loss of therapeutic effect) but it could also be due to withdrawal effects (all of the medications like phentermine probably cause some degree of brain tolerance - meaning your brain adapts to the medication and when you abruptly stop it you are not going back to the same state you were in before you began treatment, but a state with a lower mood and energy level - it may take a few days before your brain adapts to not having phentermine).

Thank you so much for the input.  It does make perfect sense.  I feel like I have more energy and able to concentrate much more which I'm sure also makes me feel better.